If the next FE had a different setting, what would you want it to be?

El Rey León

34 members have voted

1. 1. I'd like to see a FE game have a fantasy world modeled after...

• Ancient Rome
    • Ancient Greece
    • Ancient Egypt
    • Ancient China
    • Feudal Japan
    • Mesoamerica (Aztec, Inca, Maya)
    • precolonial Africa
    • Victorian Era England (with maybe a dash of steampunk)
    • Wild West
    • Modern Times (Fire Emblem: MODERN WARFARE?)
    • Nothing different! Medival Europe, now and forever.

I'm not voting because I don't see an option for the sort of country-ambiguous low technology setting they've been working with so far. It's very different from actual Europe in the middle ages.

What I'd like to see is more horse archers (which have always been a personal favorite) and larger forces in battles.

If there had to be a change, ancient Greece. It's fine where it is now though

No! Fire Emblem mechanics would never be able to replicate the formation-based battles that defined ancient warfare, from the Western Mediterranean to India (China didn't really catch up in that regard until after the beginning of the common era, but that's not important). The number of units is far too small and there's no mechanic to represent things like morale, facing or overlapping weapons/shields. Hell, Fire Emblem doesn't even have a mechanic to represent shields!

Medival Europe-ish definitely... I like the setting they've kept for a long while...

An interesting twist would be Feudal Japan though... XD

The game's origin is in Japan... "Lords" who actually did the fighting themselves? XD

It would definitely be interesting to see...

My second choice would be Ancient China for similar reasons :P

I like the way they're going right now, and I don't see a need to be restricted to any culture. Some stuff are just impossible to replicate as most if not all of the time guys from those settings had huge armies, and it doesn't really tie in well with the mechanics of FE.

Actually, Modern FE sounds cool too.

Swords = Sub Machine Gun.

Lances = Assault Rifle.

Axes = Shotgun.

Bow = Sniper Rifle.

Cleric/Staves = Medics/Medigun.

Mage/Magic = Grenadiers/Grenades.

Thief = Spies.

Knives = Knives. lulz

Manakete = Support Vehicle.

Dragonstone name of choice = Radio.

YEAH I AM SO CREATIVE.

Hell, Fire Emblem doesn't even have a mechanic to represent shields!

I believe gaiden did

Those just seem like statboosters. I have no idea how TRS did shields, but I also doubt they got it the way I think is necessary.

When I said shields I meant items just as important as weapons that can prevent an enemy advance, completely turn attacks against the bearer from that direction, encumber the bearer both in movement and in attack, and overlap to form walls nearly impenetrable from the front. Items that take just as much training to use masterfully as any weapon demands.

Ancient warfare and Fire Emblem will never mix well unless IS decides to abandon most of Fire Emblem's current mechanics, the formations were too complicated, morale was more important than ever and the numbers of men in any textbook classical battle are just too large.

One of the reasons Fire Emblem has gotten where it has is because of good settings and themes in every game. Perhaps a bit more diversity within a game would add more spice, but I don't think anything here needs to be fundamentally rethought. There are some things that do, but those are for other topics.

Edited by Hero

I'd like to see an Ancient China version, myself... No, this isn't my output of frustration over a lack of Korea. :| .

Edited by Roxas

Actually, Modern FE sounds cool too.

Swords = Sub Machine Gun.

Lances = Assault Rifle.

Axes = Shotgun.

Bow = Sniper Rifle.

Cleric/Staves = Medics/Medigun.

Mage/Magic = Grenadiers/Grenades.

Thief = Spies.

Knives = Knives. lulz

Manakete = Support Vehicle.

Dragonstone name of choice = Radio.

YEAH I AM SO CREATIVE.

Yes, if you want to play modern FE, I suggest you go find a copy of Advance Wars.

I'd like to see a Old West version myself, though I'm not sure how that would go.