What anime/manga are you following right now?

Hatari

Your wording on that was pretty interesting then.

I did say "words" ;):

Don't you mean have comedy? Typical shounens are generally battle anime like Naruto, Bleach, Dragonball, One Piece, Fairy Tail, etc. The amount of actual comedy varies between the series.

Have can mean anything, as I think you are trying to imply. A person can view a series like Shingeki No Kyojin to have horror and be a fantasy series, or be horror and have fantasy (I got into this argument with my roommate a lot...). All I know is that when I ran the numbers of shounen series based on genre on manga updates, I got (spoiled for size)

comedy = 40 x 50 Max

action = 35 x 50 Max

Romance = 20 x 50 Max

Fantasy = 20 x 50 Max

Supernatural = 18 x 50 Max

adventure = 17 x 50 Max

School life = 17 x 50 Max

ecchi = 14 x 50 Max

Sci-fi = 14 x 50 Max

Drama = 14 x 50 Max

Sports = 9 x 50 Max

Slice of life = 7 x 50 Max

Mystery = 6 x 50 Max

Harem = 5 x 50 Max

Historical = 5 x 50 Max

Martial Arts = 5 x 50 Max

Horror = 4 x 50 Max

Mecha = 4 x 50 Max

Psychological = 4 x 50 Max

Tragedy = 4 x 50 Max

Gender Bender = 3 x 50 Max

Mature = 3 x 50 Max

Adult = Less than 50

Shoujo Ai = Less than 50

Yuri = Less than 50

Shounen Ai = 4

Lolicon = 3

Hentai = 2

Shotacon = 2

Yaoi = 1

If you do a query excluding action but keeping comedy, and then do action excluding comedy, there is still more comedy than action from that result too. Of course you could still argue that something like Naruto is a battle manga that has comedy, One Piece has a good balance of both, and Medaka Box is a comedy with battles, but the fact still remains that comedy is more prevalent, and thus more typical. When you really think about it though, it isn't as surprising as it may sound.

Edited by Blademaster!

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't you mean have comedy? Typical shounens are generally battle anime like Naruto, Bleach, Dragonball, One Piece, Fairy Tail, etc. The amount of actual comedy varies between the series.

This is what I thought Shounens were as well.

Finished Mirai Nikki and currently watching (and about to finish) Angel Beats.

Executive meddling is a *****. It was supposed to be longer, and it shows.

What was Angel Beast suppose to be like? I heard of that anime before, but I never exactly watched.

Edited by King Marth 64

What was Angel Beast suppose to be like? I heard of that anime before, but I never exactly watched.

People don't die when they are killed: The Anime. It's an interesting school life story about some kids stuck in limbo and are trying to fight the system of said limbo. To be honest, I think the anime gets more praise than it deserves, but it's still pretty good.

Ronin Warriors is ok.

Just Ok. I think anyway.

I'd turn it down for Outlaw Star any day of the week.

And Angel Beats, the best way I can describe it, is an alternative purgatory for angsty and troubled teens trying to achieve inner peace. There's more to it than that, but it's a general description I can live with

haven't watched Guilty Crown yet, but I like the opening (supercell factor, y'know?).

But yeah, the OVA was like a very long commercial for the 2012 anime. Watch it if you want, though if middle school melodrama isn't for you then you probably won't like it.

I'd say it's worth a look. I've heard people say that it rips off Code Geass, but I would say it more-so draws inspiration from it, if anything.

I gotten through some pretty "blegh" stuff, I think I'll be alright.

Also, forgot to mention I'm still going through Brave 10 and Fairy Tail as well.

Guilty Crown is a cliche storm with horrible characters, a nonsense plot, and middle-schooler writing. I would not recommend.

don't they say a lot of the same things about Black★Rock Shooter, with the addition that it's a bad yuri show with classic moe-style art for the junior high school characters?

I'd say it's worth a look. I've heard people say that it rips off Code Geass, but I would say it more-so draws inspiration from it, if anything.

From looking at a few pages about it, it looks like you're right, since overall the plot seems pretty different. However, it seems like they were trying to even acknowledge the inspiration since the main character's ability is "the power of the kings" (as opposed to the king). Though it also sounds like his power is somewhat more like C.C.'s than Lelouch's besides the immortality bit.

don't they say a lot of the same things about Black★Rock Shooter, with the addition that it's a bad yuri show with classic moe-style art for the junior high school characters?

Not that I've heard. Black★Rock Shooter is a lot of things, but I don't think "cliche" is a label you can accurately put on it. Personally I found the series pretty underrated, even if not perfect.

From looking at a few pages about it, it looks like you're right, since overall the plot seems pretty different. However, it seems like they were trying to even acknowledge the inspiration since the main character's ability is "the power of the kings" (as opposed to the king). Though it also sounds like his power is somewhat more like C.C.'s than Lelouch's besides the immortality bit.

I could only stand to watch 9 episodes of Guilty Crown before choosing sanity, but I felt from the very beginning like it was a Code Geass ripoff. Oppressive government, rebellious faction, mysterious girl who gives the main character special abilities...

and Shirley.

Edited by Madam Red

Executive meddling is a bitch. It was supposed to be longer, and it shows.

It's unfortunate for sure. The plot felt rushed and I wanted to learn more about the characters, but I still really enjoyed it. I remember hearing rumors about a Season 2 or something, but I'm not really sure what they would do with that.

Gonna watch Katanagatari now since a friend recommended it.

Edited by Helios

I could only stand to watch 9 episodes of Guilty Crown before choosing sanity, but I felt from the very beginning like it was a Code Geass ripoff. Oppressive government, rebellious faction, mysterious girl who gives the main character special abilities...

Oppressive governments and rebellious factions are not exactly original to Code Geass. Although it may not be exceedingly common for it to be a mysterious girl, Faustian deals are far from unknown. And mysterious girls are a dime a dozen, not even worth that if they're being pursued by a government military.

Mind I'm not defendingg its quality, as I haven't seen it.

Oppressive governments and rebellious factions are not exactly original to Code Geass. Although it may not be exceedingly common for it to be a mysterious girl, Faustian deals are far from unknown. And mysterious girls are a dime a dozen, not even worth that if they're being pursued by a government military.

Mind I'm not defendingg its quality, as I haven't seen it.

It's not about the individual details, but all of them put together and their execution. The first episode of Guilty Crown really does feel like the first episode of Code Geass, except it's like if Lelouch were a total pansy instead of a magnificent bastard.

It's not about the individual details, but all of them put together and their execution. The first episode of Guilty Crown really does feel like the first episode of Code Geass, except it's like if Lelouch were a total pansy instead of a magnificent bastard.

I will agree that in comparison, Guilty Crown is definitely far from on par with Code Geass, but it held up enough to keep my interest until about 3 episodes before the finale. I enjoyed it far more than some of the other stuff out that season. also I thought the art was well done

I just got into Deadman Wonderland. Has anyone seen it?

Goddamn I thought this show was awesome. Enjoy a shitton of blood and awesome. :)

I just got into Deadman Wonderland. Has anyone seen it?

Yep. It's not awful, but not that good in my opinion.

I will agree that in comparison, Guilty Crown is definitely far from on par with Code Geass, but it held up enough to keep my interest until about 3 episodes before the finale. I enjoyed it far more than some of the other stuff out that season. also I thought the art was well done

To each his own. Personally, I found Guilty Crown to be not only the worst of that season, but the worst in all of 2011.