Pokemon Gold/Silver tier list

Blademaster!

As for Cubone, is he buyable in the Game Corner in G/S too or was that Crystal exclusive too?

Cubone can be captured in Dark Cave, just north of Lavender Town.

Cubone can be captured in Dark Cave, just north of Lavender Town.

Isn't Lavender in Kanto though? This is only considering performance up to and including the E4 + Champion on the first run. Any Pokemon that can't be caught by then don't count.

I would suggest Staryu up on the basis of recover. It's got a decent type, can learn psychic moves, can be obtained before the fighting-type gym (and also hits those poison types of TR). Not to top tier, but still up to high tier. The only things that hurt it are grass and electric, electric attacks are fairly rare, and a lot of grass types double with poison as well. So, Staryu to high tier.

The only psychic type move it can learn is psychic, and the tm for that doesn't become available until after the elite four. Then it's stats are pretty unimpressive since it won't evolve. If it did evolve, I would put it up, but since it doesn't evolve, it really isn't that great.

And why is Tentacool so high? For his HM-slave capabilities? He doesn't come that early (I remember at least 3 other water types available earlier other than Totodile) and isn't stellar when it comes to attacking.

As for Cubone, is he buyable in the Game Corner in G/S too or was that Crystal exclusive too?

Tentacool can be caught as early as here: http://www.serebii.net/pokearth/johto/route32.shtml and has some pretty damn good stats and moves. Being poison type is also pretty nice to boot. It's definitely one of the best water types available, but it should probably be moved down since Lapras is better.

Cubone can only be bought in crystal version. I'm pretty sure I got all the pokemon that can't be caught until after the elite four.

• 2 weeks later...

Why is Pidgey so far ahead of Hoothoot? There's a three tier gap right now, and thats ridiculous. Noctowl learns plenty of useful moves such as Hypnosis, and while Pidgeot is superior statistically, it isn't enough to warrant that much of a gap

Why is Pidgey so far ahead of Hoothoot? There's a three tier gap right now, and thats ridiculous. Noctowl learns plenty of useful moves such as Hypnosis, and while Pidgeot is superior statistically, it isn't enough to warrant that much of a gap

I agree Hoothoot learns some useful moves: the hypnosis/dream eater combo, confusion. He's great againist Morty, Chuck and Bruno

The max level pokemon are expected to reach based on the rules I set for this tier list (so as to try and make something like this even work) is 52. Unless you wait until Hoothoot reaches level 48, it will not learn dream eater. Noctowl then has base 50 attack and only learns three moves that make use of it's special attack: Confusion, dreameater, and thief. Considering how long it would take to learn dream eater and confusion and thief aren't all that great of moves, I kept it that low since Pidgey and Spearow far out class Hoothoot. The only reason I would raise it up a tier is because it can use fly and can be caught fairly early, but I don't think that would really warrant it going up. I guess it could also make for a good wall but still. It has a crap move set for most of the game.

Upon further inspection, I realized I made a mistake and I will have to lower both Pidgey and Fearow since they can't learn steel wing before the elite four.

Pidgey was three tiers higher than Hoothoot because of its superior movesets and stats along with the fact that it was one of two of your main flier options. Additionally, it is with your team for a very large portion of the game and learns more useful moves when compared to Hoothoot. In terms off attacking, Hoothoot only has peck, return, swift, fly, and confusion going for it. Pidgey has those moves (except peck, but instead has the superior move gust, and confusion) quick attack, wing attack, and a higher attack and speed stat. Hoothoot really just has hypnosis, and sleep powder is better than that.

What it really came down to (to sum things up) was that Pidgey is statistically superior, can make better use of it's moves, and really do everything Hoothoot does (and does it much better), except for the fact that Hoothoot can put things to sleep, but there are better pokemon to use for putting things to sleep.

It's not that Pidgey and Spearow are just amazing pokemon, it's just that Hoothoot is pretty bad and Pidgey and Spearow are statistically/move use superior and can use fly. That is the only reason why the two were so high up in the first place. If Hoothoot had better stats/moves it probably would have been up there with them, if not one tier lower.

Edit: Appearently, Crobat actually does learn fly (originally, I was under the impression that it did not[curse you pokemon wikipedia]), so I moved Zubat up. I think I should move it to top tier, but Zubat doesn't learn any good attacking moves till level 12 (bite; this also means that it can be quite annoying to train).

Edited by Blademaster!

Can someone explain why Pinser is as low as it is?

I put it in Mid tier since all it really has is somewhat good stats and an early catch time. It's move set is kinda bad since the best moves it will learn by the elite four are either strength or submission. Also, it only learns two moves that can affect ghost type pokemon and both of those can only be taught be way of tm (fury cutter and thief). It does learn Sword dance at level 43 and guillotine too, but guillotine can be kinda risky.

Shouldn't your starter be top of top tier since it will always be at a level lead compared to your other pokemon and will always have an effective moveset? I mean Cyndaquil is pretty cool the entire game...too

Mareep should be higher due to being the only electric type for a long time and learns electric moves really early. Ingame he/she rocks through all evolutions and can use those elemental punches as a Flaafy.

Wooper should go up too. Quasire learns Earthquake by the Elite 4 and is immune to electric moves. Grass is lol in this game and is probably going to be your only water type that can use a water type move for a good portion of Johto

Rattata down to mid due to having very little long run use and being a waste of EXP later. Super fang is nice, but isn't learned until a high level where at that point it is pointless

Wobbuffet being in Low tier is a bit much, it is considered an uber for a reason...

Smeargle is very useful for capturing provided you have some patience

Having HM being a positive for a pokemon is pretty iffy for me to be a part of their ability. I could just have 2 HM slaves and be done with it and never force anyone to learn thoses moves unless they actually are a good move like surf and waterfall(in 4th gen).

Edited by Brighton

Wobbuffet being in Low tier is a bit much, it is considered an uber for a reason...

It is an uber for a reason. And that reason is Encore, which it doesn't get until 3rd Gen.

Edited by ZXValaRevan

There also isn't Shadow Tag to make it Uber as well.

I don't see why the starters are so low. They have the greatest amount of availability, competent to work, etc. Cyndaquil is probably the best here still, while Totodile probably struggles with Chikorita for 2nd or 3rd. Red Gyarados should be about 4th since its moveset is pretty good (it's not only an HM Slave Mon but also can learn a modest amount of TMs). I dunno, I find Gyarados pretty underwhelming in GSC so sometimes I barely buy it Top Tier. Speaking of that, what is Geodude and Onicks doing so high? Both require a trade in order to reach their best forms and Geodude does really shitty against gyms once we hit Chuck Norris. His best bet is against Jasmine, but after that he's good as gone. He's a terrible choice for when you're surfing (Water Pokemon olol) and the Elite 4 just crumble him except Koga. He does okay in Kanto since he has an edge on Lt. Surge, Brock to some extents, Janine, and Blaine, but honestly I wouldn't consider that good.

Geodude seems okay for High Tier. Onix... eh, he's pretty weak honestly. Screech helps his low Atk, but otherwise he could almost be a tier lower. The starters have more upper hands than Geodude in most places (though it's nice that Levitate doesn't exist since I will express that as Geodude's disadvantage once I get HG | SS Tire List).

Shouldn't your starter be top of top tier since it will always be at a level lead compared to your other pokemon and will always have an effective moveset? I mean Cyndaquil is pretty cool the entire game...too

Mareep should be higher due to being the only electric type for a long time and learns electric moves really early. Ingame he/she rocks through all evolutions and can use those elemental punches as a Flaafy.

Wooper should go up too. Quasire learns Earthquake by the Elite 4 and is immune to electric moves. Grass is lol in this game and is probably going to be your only water type that can use a water type move for a good portion of Johto

Rattata down to mid due to having very little long run use and being a waste of EXP later. Super fang is nice, but isn't learned until a high level where at that point it is pointless

Smeargle is very useful for capturing provided you have some patience

Having HM being a positive for a pokemon is pretty iffy for me to be a part of their ability. I could just have 2 HM slaves and be done with it and never force anyone to learn thoses moves unless they actually are a good move like surf and waterfall(in 4th gen).

I'll move Mareep up.

Wooper is probably good where it is. It only learns three damaging moves naturally, and one of the is slam. It's stats aren't really all that great either, though it does have a nice move pool. Also, water is the most abundant pokemon type and there are plenty of better water type move users such as Lapras and Totodile.

Raticate can learn some pretty decent moves Like Hyper fang, strength, Shadow ball, Super fang, and Quick attack. And it has decent enough stats and an early enough joining time to make it worth using for a long portion of time.

I would need someone to explain where Smeargle is learning it's moves to become useful for capturing pokemon before I move it up since unlike in Gen III and IV, you can't just enter a double battle and have it sketch the move your other pokemon is using.

There also isn't Shadow Tag to make it Uber as well.

I don't see why the starters are so low. They have the greatest amount of availability, competent to work, etc. Cyndaquil is probably the best here still, while Totodile probably struggles with Chikorita for 2nd or 3rd. Red Gyarados should be about 4th since its moveset is pretty good (it's not only an HM Slave Mon but also can learn a modest amount of TMs). I dunno, I find Gyarados pretty underwhelming in GSC so sometimes I barely buy it Top Tier. Speaking of that, what is Geodude and Onicks doing so high? Both require a trade in order to reach their best forms and Geodude does really shitty against gyms once we hit Chuck Norris. His best bet is against Jasmine, but after that he's good as gone. He's a terrible choice for when you're surfing (Water Pokemon olol) and the Elite 4 just crumble him except Koga. He does okay in Kanto since he has an edge on Lt. Surge, Brock to some extents, Janine, and Blaine, but honestly I wouldn't consider that good.

Geodude seems okay for High Tier. Onix... eh, he's pretty weak honestly. Screech helps his low Atk, but otherwise he could almost be a tier lower. The starters have more upper hands than Geodude in most places (though it's nice that Levitate doesn't exist since I will express that as Geodude's disadvantage once I get HG | SS Tire List).

You kinda contradicted yourself in your post to an extent when talking about Geodude and Onix so I really don't know what to say.

Also, this tier list only goes up to the elite four and at the moment is really in order of tier only, so if one pokemon is higher than another while existing in the same tier, that does not necessarily mean that it is better.

Chikorita is terrible so I am not going to move it from where it is on the list. Totodile moving to top tier is understandable, so I will do so.

It is an uber for a reason. And that reason is Encore, which it doesn't get until 3rd Gen.

Isn't he playing heart gold/soul silver or does he mean just the regular gold/silver? If there are no baby evolution capabilities to get encore nevermind...

Wooper is probably good where it is. It only learns three damaging moves naturally, and one of the is slam. It's stats aren't really all that great either, though it does have a nice move pool. Also, water is the most abundant pokemon type and there are plenty of better water type move users such as Lapras and Totodile.

[/Quote]

Quasire can use both strength and Surf, naturally learns rain dance for support with Mareep and other water move and Earthquake early enough to be in time for the elite 4. Sludgebomb capabilities too. Stats=/= bad/good, unless they are just unworkable. Movesets are vastly more important.

Edited by Brighton

Isn't he playing heart gold/soul silver or does he mean just the regular gold/silver? If there are no baby evolution capabilities to get encore nevermind...

Quasire can use both strength and Surf, naturally learns rain dance for support with Mareep and other water move and Earthquake early enough to be in time for the elite 4. Sludgebomb capabilities too. Stats=/= bad/good, unless they are just unworkable. Movesets are vastly more important.

The OP did say it was for regular Gold/Silver...

Yeah, this is for the original gold and silver version.

Quasire's stats are still all pretty bad for the most part. It's slow and only has good Hp and decent Atk and def. Rain dance would give it a nice edge though. Still, there are better pokemon for that sort of stuff, particularly tentacool. I'll look into this a bit more later. I'm kinda busy at the moment.