Primero dejo a mi vieja que a mi sombrero

Hero

Better idea: Just speak FUCKING ENGLISH!

That's what this forum was designed and made for, there's no reason for anything else.

Why would I want to speak English, I don't live in England.

The ancestral language of California (currently divided, Lower California is part of Mexico while Upper California has been under United States occupation since 1846) is Spanish, and in a few areas Chinese. Not English, that's the language of the imperialist-colonialist occupiers.

I use English on this forum only in its capacity as the main language of international communication. When I want to post something in my country's language, why can't I? Am I inferior to the English just because I was born somewhere else?

Edited by Hero

Hero, znaš Hrvatski govoriti?

Ja ne razumijevam većinu, samo 100-200 riječi.

(Did I get that right?)

I don't really speak Russian either, I just understand bits and pieces of that language but I know how to fake it when I want to say something complicated. I use sites like Wiktionary for vocabulary and conjugation/declension information. But never online translators, they're no good for translating into something you don't understand.

Edited by Hero

Ja ne razumijevam većinu, samo 100-200 riječi.

(Did I get that right?)

I don't really speak Russian either, I just understand bits and pieces of that language but I know how to fake it when I want to say something complicated using sites like Wiktionary for vocabulary and conjugation/declension information.

You spelled vašim wrong but the rest of the sentence is good.

As for Russian, I can read most of it if I have a Russian alphabet chart and decipher each letter individually, which can take quite long.

I wish I knew more of Slavic languages, but I never had the opportunity to take classes in high school and I'm not proactive enough to self-teach complicated grammar effectively.

---

Here's an English translation of the Spanish in my first post for the iletrados.

Sombrero just means hat, but has the connotation of what's often called a 'cowboy hat' in the USA.

Topic title: I would abandon my grandmother before I would abandon my sombrero. (this is a quote from the article)

Topic subtitle: Without a sombrero there is no cowboy (means 'you can't have a cowboy without a cowboy hat')

Despite the sombrero's popularity, sombrero aficionados report that in many places such as clubs, restaurants or offices there is discrimination and they are frequently not allowed in for reasons of image and reputation.

Some sombrero users say that although there are some among them who stereotype them all by going with their hats to particular places, the sombrero is a way of life that's no better or worse than any other, but simply a part of a certain style.

But then many people never take off their sombrero except to sleep, if they enter a church or a temple and take it off, it's a show of respect just the same as when they sit down at the table to eat, not an attempt to gain acceptance at that place.

Although many associate the sombrero with ranchers, macho guys and drug traffickers, these days it has become a fashionable accessory that should not be lumped together with any stereotype.

Sombreros with wide and squared-off brims are typical of ranchers or those close to ranch life, and these people call those sombreros either "winner" or "country" style.

The more tightly woven and dramatically upturned style is the style used for horseback riding and parties, it's not so much for work as to provide shade.

The "Urban cowboy" is the most lightweight sombrero style and is used by city slickers, only for fashion because most of them don't understand and don't contact with the country.

And the article: Chihuahua, land of sombreros

Edited by Hero

aficionado? sombrero? Ha, putting random words of the language you're translating in your translation is so bad animu fansubber

'Aficionado' was my own addition, the original word there is 'amante'. You got me with 'sombrero', but the purpose of this topic is to draw people into the world of Mexican cowboy hats, and if the word isn't common usage for them I'll force it to be.

Straw hats are just so sugoi ne

Edited by Hero