Fire emblem 4- Seisen no keifu hacking

Squidorsky

Well just the other day i started trying out my hand at hacking Fe4 with some success. As i tried again i began to figure more out but all of this hacking left me wondering things.

These things being:

Portrait insertion: Is it possible? Can i insert my own portraits into the game?

Text hacking: How do you do this if at all?

Custom sprites: Like weapon sprites...

Are any of these possible without getting too hard? I can't hex edit to save my life so...if this involves a junk load of hexing then just say so now.

Basically I wanted to make a fe7 hack that has it's own story but follows many of the gameplay mechanics of Fe4. as such rather then remaking the engine to limited success i thought maybe it would be easier to just use a preexisting engine. But if none of this is doable then so be it and i'll just stick to using FE7.

Thanks!

-Hyrulian man-

Portrait insertion: Is it possible? Can i insert my own portraits into the game?

It's possible, but I don't know how. There are a bunch of Japanese FE4 hacks with different portraits.

The clue to this puzzle is likely the SFC image compression program linked in the pinned FE Binary programs and hacks topic.

Text hacking: How do you do this if at all?

I'm not sure if it's still around, but SpyroDi/Pukachi made an EasyText patch, which lets you insert text as ASCII code. Alternatively, you could look around the source files of the English translation patch.

Custom sprites: Like weapon sprites...

Do you mean weapon sprites as in the ones that appear in the status screens and etc. You can edit them with a Tile Editing program. Now, this is something I've actually done myself once : P

The clue to this puzzle is likely the SFC image compression program linked in the pinned FE Binary programs and hacks topic.

Huh, well i guess i'm hosed there. Can't say i know what sfc image compressions are or how to use the binary porgrams or find them. (My japanese speaking and reading level are that of an eleven month baby...)

I'm not sure if it's still around, but SpyroDi/Pukachi made an EasyText patch, which lets you insert text as ASCII code. Alternatively, you could look around the source files of the English translation patch.

Hmm, Does someone have this said file? If not where would i find these source files of the english translation?

Do you mean weapon sprites as in the ones that appear in the status screens and etc. You can edit them with a Tile Editing program. Now, this is something I've actually done myself once : P

Exactly that! All i meant with this was that i wanted to edit the weapon sprites of the legendary weapons on the statsheet, holy blood chart and maybe even in battle if that's possible.

...Why can't anything ever be easy... :D

Thanks so far everyone!

-Hyrulian man-

• 5 years later...