Laguz?

I had another question for you folks.

has anyone tried levelling up the itty bitty kitty laguz? I find them very weak, and their transform guage is shit. Their quick but doesnt help when their only doing 3 damage. I usually use mordecai and he seems to work good for me. opinions?

Cat Laguz is a terrible class. The only redeeming quality about it is Rend. It doesn't help that Lethe and Lyre are pretty bad themselves. Tigers, Hawks, and Lions are good, and Dragon would be a pretty good class if all of the Dragon Laguz you get didn't suck. That applies to Ravens as well.

Lethe isnt bad if you tweak her a bit. I like her better than Ranulf as a character (and since shes so badass in PoR). If i use a cat, its her. How do i make her decent? An Energy Drop (or two if im feeling saucy), some BEXP, Adept (omg) and a satori sign. I never tried using Lyre and i dont want to. Shes so bad, tweaking her isnt worth it. (Some argue Lethe isnt either but i say MEH at them!) Ranulf is better if you dont wanna tweak Lethe at all.

If you are gonna use laguz, use Janaff and/or Ulki, Mordecai (tank!), and MAYBE Kyza. I havent really tried leveling Kyza so i dont know if hes any good to be honest. Nealuchi is an ok unit but his strength kinda fails. Hes good speed and a decent gauge. (if you dont wanna use that Energy Drop on Lethe, try Nealuchi! Who knows!) Skrimir is pretty cool. Also obligatory Volug squee. Hes pretty damn awesome.

Edited by Severus Snape

If you are gonna use laguz, use Janaff and/or Ulki, Mordecai (tank!), and MAYBE Kyza. I havent really tried leveling Kyza so i dont know if hes any good to be honest. Nealuchi is an ok unit but his strength kinda fails. Hes good speed and a decent gauge. (if you dont wanna use that Energy Drop on Lethe, try Nealuchi! Who knows!) Skrimir is pretty cool. Also obligatory Volug squee. Hes pretty damn awesome.

Kyza sucks pretty badly

Kyza sucks pretty badly

Yeah? I figured. His bases were awful so i didnt bother with him. I would imagine Maurim actually being loads better even with the crap avaliability.

Yeah? I figured. His bases were awful so i didnt bother with him. I would imagine Maurim actually being loads better even with the crap avaliability.

Muarim is pretty good and you can help (not solve) his availability problems by having him fight untransformed part 1 and giving him a paragon in 4-4

I kinda miss Lethe's ability to transform at the beginning of each chapter :/

As for kittehs, I used Ranulf my first playthrough because he was required for a bunch of Ike chapters. He never turned out to be more than decent for me, sadly, as he never could ORKO anything with his low strength (unless he landed a Rend.)

Here's my view on the Laguz.

Mordecai >= Volug = Janaff >= Ulki >>>> Ranulf >> Nasir > Vika = Ena >= Lethe = Nealuchi >>> Kyza > Gareth = Lyre.

I excluded the Herons, Royals, and Skrimir. (And Giffca is a royal for all intents and purposes.)

I only play EM and NM, but I doubt that most people will argue much besides the fact that I overrate Mordy. General consensus is that he's a bit weaker than Ulki, but on EM, he just doesn't get hurt. Ever.

Actually, you ain't overrating him by too much. He really is that awesome. 32 base DEF is hard to overrate too much.

I know. But the general consensus here is that Volug is the best.

Still, Mordy, Volug, Janaff, and Ulki are all very viable in efficiency playthroughs. It's a matter of preference really, and I prefer Janaff and Mordy to Volug and Ulki.

Still, Mordy, Volug, Janaff, and Ulki are all very viable in efficiency playthroughs. It's a matter of preference really, and I prefer Janaff and Mordy to Volug and Ulki.

Actually i think Ulki+Mordecai make a better combo (support wise) +2 STR and +2 Def at an A IIRC. After all Ulki would really like the +2 STR and Mordy likes it too plus the +2 Def (which if i'm not wrong also increases resistance.)

I agree with you however it is a matter of preference.

Actually i think Ulki+Mordecai make a better combo (support wise) +2 STR and +2 Def at an A IIRC. After all Ulki would really like the +2 STR and Mordy likes it too plus the +2 Def (which if i'm not wrong also increases resistance.)

I agree with you however it is a matter of preference.

It's 3 and 3, actually.

But Janaff and Mordy is 2 strength, 3 defense, and 8 avoid. So it's really not much of a difference.

Just because it seems to be the topic of discussion, here's my view on the Laguz for HM:

Volug > Janaff > Ulki > Mordecai >= Ranulf > Muarim > Nasir >= Nealuchi >= Ena >= Vika > Gareth > Lethe > Kyza > Lyre.

But a lot of them in the lower half can be kind of shaky on the order because of the game setup. It really depends on your view of utility, availability, etc.

I'd say Gareth and Nasir really shouldn't be counted because, let's be honest, you should always bring them, and if you think Sanaki or Sothe can offer more than they can, I got news for you...

Silly reasoning, yes, but hey, it does make a bit of sense... However, on a tier perspective, yeah, keep them on.

Wait, this was kind of a tier discussion, wasn't i- *explodes*

I would show a picture of the players guide that says that Lyre would become a fearsome ally after growing her some levels, but I can't work my scanner, so I'll just say what the players guide said. For those of you that have it...look on page 115 and see what I mean.

I'd say Gareth and Nasir really shouldn't be counted because, let's be honest, you should always bring them, and if you think Sanaki or Sothe can offer more than they can, I got news for you...

Silly reasoning, yes, but hey, it does make a bit of sense... However, on a tier perspective, yeah, keep them on.

I could see fielding Sanaki in Endgame being smarter than Kurth. Both of them will run up and thwack an Aura for ~20 damage, but Sanaki has better accuracy and will do it to a Cover Aura, which is more valuable.

My favourite Laguzes are Ranulf and Muarim. Muarim because he has a manly 36 base strength untransformed, with an equally manly 55% growth.

Kyza is my least favourite, partially because he's so camp, but also because he sucks at everything else as well. I imagine Largo could pin 100 Kyzas with one hand tied behind his back.

Kyza is my least favourite, partially because he's so camp, but also because he sucks at everything else as well. I imagine Largo could pin 100 Kyzas with one hand tied behind his back.

Is this after having already lost his other hand? No hand pin meaning just legs and body sounds difficult for even 2 Kyzas.

...Eh, I can't be bothered to field Gareth, considering his horrid resistance at a time where enemies use mainly magic attacks, and not helping is the fact that Sephiran has ridiculous range (20 spaces?) and Ashera can target pretty much anywhere on the field. And Ena also has Blood Tide, only I won't have to worry about her dying against the spirits.

...Eh, I can't be bothered to field Gareth, considering his horrid resistance at a time where enemies use mainly magic attacks, and not helping is the fact that Sephiran has ridiculous range (20 spaces?) and Ashera can target pretty much anywhere on the field. And Ena also has Blood Tide, only I won't have to worry about her dying against the spirits.

But you can't get two blood tides with just Ena. Gareth can actually live through Ashera's single target magic attack on turn 2. Of course, Ashera should be dead before turn 2 enemy phase, but if for some reason she isn't then you can certainly have Gareth use a pure water on turn 2 and then he'll survive the double (just barely). Or simply stick him on cover, but I don't like that solution because it is less flexible and it isn't like Gareth can reliably hit an aura anyway so why have him attack? If you are three turning Ashera anyway then you should be killing all the spirits each turn so all he has to survive is Ashera's single target attack, which is easy. It's not as if you should need all your units attacking auras every turn just to 3 turn the chapter, considering I can KO Ashera on turn 2 and the 3 spirits on turn 1 (I don't bother with the 2 on turn 2, of course, if I am 2 turning).

But you can't get two blood tides with just Ena. Gareth can actually live through Ashera's single target magic attack on turn 2. Of course, Ashera should be dead before turn 2 enemy phase, but if for some reason she isn't then you can certainly have Gareth use a pure water on turn 2 and then he'll survive the double (just barely). Or simply stick him on cover, but I don't like that solution because it is less flexible and it isn't like Gareth can reliably hit an aura anyway so why have him attack? If you are three turning Ashera anyway then you should be killing all the spirits each turn so all he has to survive is Ashera's single target attack, which is easy. It's not as if you should need all your units attacking auras every turn just to 3 turn the chapter, considering I can KO Ashera on turn 2 and the 3 spirits on turn 1 (I don't bother with the 2 on turn 2, of course, if I am 2 turning).

You have a point, but I just don't like Gareth. Regarding 2 turning 4-E-5... With a team such as mine, it holds absolutely zero relevance for me.

You have a point, but I just don't like Gareth. Regarding 2 turning 4-E-5... With a team such as mine, it holds absolutely zero relevance for me.

Even with a team that isn't fantastic, as long as it doesn't suck completely killing all 5 spirits that show up before turn 2 enemy phase (the 3 at the beginning + the 2 at the end of the first turn) should be child's play. Thus, Gareth can easily survive by using a pure water on turn 2 if you can't find a useful wardwood tile for him to stand on.

Here's something I did on Lyre. I went back to base and gave her some Bonus EXP so that she could at least do damage to most enemies and double. Doubling especially! Don't worry about her difficulty on killing, just make sure she attacks frequently so that her Claw level would rise. Have her exposed to Sages and ranged attackers so you could raise her transformation gauge by half already for more attacks and then it shouldn't be long before she gets her first Weapon level up, and then she should start doing significant damage. And then finally give her a Satori Sign for extra pwnage.

Personally I liked the Laguz in PoR better. They were more balanced being that they were very capable of surviving in human state only without the option to counterattack. I say Laguz can be more balanced than in the two games combined.