Legend of zelda series ( Gripes and thoughts)

Squidorsky

I definitely found "Zelda II" the hardest of the ones I played. The first is likely the second hardest. LttP wasn't hard but it also wasn't eyes closed easy. The high damage of enemies probably helped with making it not too easy. Twilight Princess I only ever had a little trouble figuring out what all I was supposed to do in order to beat some bosses. Actually performing the actions wasn't at all difficult. I still found it fun, though, but I guess I love transformation type stuff anyway.

I have to agree there, Zelda I, I actually never beat cuz I could never find level 5 in the "dark world". I did really like the gameplay of LttP plus there's something to be said "normal looking" great fairys. the damage was greater because the tunics reduced damage in that game unlike rest.

I would have to say twilight princess was my overall favorite. Though not very difficult the dungeons were very original and enjoyable, and the bosses were very ingunuitive. (example fighting a dragon atop a tower hookshotting from piller to piller requered consetration.) the minigames were a blast and addicting (though fishing was a workout). And the amount of realism that was included into some of the mechanics. (like the line of sight of enemies). I also loved how every tool link had, had many more "uses" then just the dungeon you got them in. And Midna imo is by far the coolest companion yet, she was really obnoxious like navi, or the mm fairy (forgot her name) or especially tetra who litterly solved every puzzle for you. The one wierd thing about TP that some getting used to, was the lack of magical items. (ie: ice, fire arrows)

another title really enjoyed was links awakening, and the "sequels" Oracle of ages/seasons. Very clever tools in those games.

(example fighting a dragon atop a tower hookshotting from piller to piller requered consetration.)

Thank God the game didn't require a decent spelling ability at any point;)

All LoZ seems to be missing for me is difficult boss fights just logic. Thats why I prefer the Metroid Prime and Metal Gear Solid series even if the Boost Guardian , Emperor Ing and the M1 tank on a no kills run made me ragequit from time to time.

Thank God the game didn't require a decent spelling ability at any point;)

All LoZ seems to be missing for me is difficult boss fights just logic. Thats why I prefer the Metroid Prime and Metal Gear Solid series even if the Boost Guardian , Emperor Ing and the M1 tank on a no kills run made me ragequit from time to time.

lol give me a break i was tired... *just noticed how badly I butchered the english language*

also, imo those games weren't anymore challenging (from the i played) Not to mention the genres are like apples and oranges. Perhaps you misunderstood the thread. Its a discussion about what could be better about the LoZ series. But oh well.

lol give me a break i was tired... *just noticed how badly I butchered the english language*

also, imo those games weren't anymore challenging (from the i played) Not to mention the genres are like apples and oranges. Perhaps you misunderstood the thread. Its a discussion about what could be better about the LoZ series. But oh well.

I know and I said harder bosses because the only one I died on in TP was the ball and chain guy

Its a discussion about what could be better about the LoZ series.

What I always wanted in the Zelda games was the ability to choose from different difficulty settings. I simply don't want another game like TP, where you can take 79 hits from super-slow enemies that cannot hit you for life anyway and still live (well, if you count blue elixirs, make that 395 hits). If they want to have a difficulty like that to make soft-core players enjoy the game, for all I care, go ahead and implement it. Just, call it easy mode or normal mode or something, and also add a goddamn harder difficulty for the guys who actually want a challenge. I want enemies that are actually capable of hitting me and actually even do damage (a quarter heart is not what I call damage. Damage is what ALttP had.), and don't die in like a single hit already themselves. I also do not want my enemies to get stunned like forever if I just hit them once, as that is completely lame. I also want more enemies with ranged attacks; in TP, you could just snipe pretty much any enemy from like across the whole room/plains (and OHKO it that way) and it had no way to retaliate. That's lame.

Also, I don't want the crazy heart spam TP had. Whenever you have even only a quarter heart of damage there, like every enemy you kill will drop three energy hearts at once, and almost any container you destroy will contain hearts as well. Hell, they even went as far as to put tons of vases or skulls with hearts and even freaking FAIRIES in them in boss rooms. They even put them in all phases of the final battle except the horse phase.

It's as if they wanted to make it completely impossible for you to die. But having a game that you cannot lose in is incredibly boring, so at least add an optional hard mode for people like me.

What I always wanted in the Zelda games was the ability to choose from different difficulty settings. I simply don't want another game like TP, where you can take 79 hits from super-slow enemies that cannot hit you for life anyway and still live (well, if you count blue elixirs, make that 395 hits). If they want to have a difficulty like that to make soft-core players enjoy the game, for all I care, go ahead and implement it. Just, call it easy mode or normal mode or something, and also add a goddamn harder difficulty for the guys who actually want a challenge. I want enemies that are actually capable of hitting me and actually even do damage (a quarter heart is not what I call damage. Damage is what ALttP had.), and don't die in like a single hit already themselves. I also do not want my enemies to get stunned like forever if I just hit them once, as that is completely lame. I also want more enemies with ranged attacks; in TP, you could just snipe pretty much any enemy from like across the whole room/plains (and OHKO it that way) and it had no way to retaliate. That's lame.

Also, I don't want the crazy heart spam TP had. Whenever you have even only a quarter heart of damage there, like every enemy you kill will drop three energy hearts at once, and almost any container you destroy will contain hearts as well. Hell, they even went as far as to put tons of vases or skulls with hearts and even freaking FAIRIES in them in boss rooms. They even put them in all phases of the final battle except the horse phase.

It's as if they wanted to make it completely impossible for you to die. But having a game that you cannot lose in is incredibly boring, so at least add an optional hard mode for people like me.

totally agree with ya, man.. the only zelda games that are hard are the first 2, and thats only because you could only move in 4 directions in the first one, and zelda II has a very difficult to maintain magic bar and only gives you vague hints on where to go next.... after that, Link to the past had the advent of empty bottles, and the difficulty just went down from that point on...

Second but in the meantime you could try a no heart container playthrough to knock it down to a 12 hit K.O. for the grunts

Edited by mikethfc

You want a challenge go dl "Adventures of Link" for the virtual consol ;) (NES)

then post here if you can beat it in under 30 tries

Edited by Speedwagon
Do not link to ROM sites.

Brilliantly stated, Raymond.

By the way, one thing that annoyed me about Link's Awakening is that I kept trying to beat the game with 0 deaths, but it's so easy to die in the first dungeon. So reset. spend 20 min getting to dungeon 1. die. reset. repeat.

And yet I somehow have managed to live a rich and full life without having accomplished the perfect playthrough in that game. How deluded I must be.

Brilliantly stated, Raymond.

By the way, one thing that annoyed me about Link's Awakening is that I kept trying to beat the game with 0 deaths, but it's so easy to die in the first dungeon. So reset. spend 20 min getting to dungeon 1. die. reset. repeat.

And yet I somehow have managed to live a rich and full life without having accomplished the perfect playthrough in that game. How deluded I must be.

i think it took me until my 3rd playthrough to get the 000. i was so annoyed my second playthrough i died by some random moblin on taltal heights.

1st play through i died before i even got to the first dungeon. i felt the wrath of the shop keeper after stealing a bomb or something by accident then going back in. I loled so hard.

Edited by XxWolfxX

I've played more zelda than you ever did, and you just don't get it. Zelda is the same thing as a piece of bread.

LOL, wow i'm not even sure what to say to that. I mean thats practically begging to get flammed. Instead I'll report it for flame baiting and otherwise ignore it.

Second but in the meantime you could try a no heart container play-through to knock it down to a 12 hit K.O. for the grunts

And just like that we have created a difficulty setting!

Just kidding, But really back to an earlier point i saw, the final boss of zelda TP ( However dramatic it was) was seriously easy! My dog could probably have beaten him!

Maybe that's because of the whole hit point deduction issue and over generous heart giving, but still, i bet one could have beaten him even with just three hearts. Can ganondorf get a little harder please! all you had to do was hit him a little bit with you sword until the clash thing then pummel him...it was really easy.

The original ganon in Zelda 1 was extremely hard, I did manage to beat him though. But that was only because link had a limited arsenal of weapons and sword skills because all ganon did was fly around the room somewhat fast and he threw fire balls. Yet he was one of the hardest bosses in a video game that i've ever fought.

He was only made hard because of the limited mechanics of the game that the player had to work with. and now as link's combat gets better and better it still seems like ganon is trapped in the past with the same programing he had in the Nes ( Maybe that's an over statement but you get what i mean)

A final battle should be a desperate struggle between a hero and a villain one that only one will rise from. Not one where you can cast a fishing rod and make the enemy stagger and nail him with your master sword. ok so that was a glitch but even so their was no urgency in it. Ganondorf just walked real slow and hit for practically nothing. I bet mario galaxy yesterday and the ending had me pumped. SPOILERS:

You had to fight him three total times, each one was the same idea but you had to figure it out as you fought him and their was never reprieve from his attacks.

(Not so much spoilers but better safe then sorry.)

I feel that's how a final boss ought to be.

In the way of normal bosses they should be like shadow of the colossus' bosses. no i don't mean in scale but in the way you had to beat them. you had a couple weapons and a general idea of how to beat it but you had to figure out how to go about doing it and the pressure was on from start to finish. so keep the desperateness going throughout the whole fight ( You are trying to kill it and it is trying to kill you...why would either of them sit idly by waiting to be killed?)

But most of all don't make the weapon you got in the dungeon be the way to kill it! That makes it so easy! If it was only the sword that had to kill it then you'd actually have to run frantically around trying to figure it out then go and pull it off. maybe you could still have the weapon you just earned help out but not be the way to kill it.

Again just my thoughts and opinions so feel free to agree or disagree, but please give reasonable...reasoning...for your answers and claims......Unlike a certain some who likens zelda to...bread....

Au revoir!

-Eriad-

I guess overall the LOZ series wasn't meant to be challenging as it is just simply fun.

...Amen to that!

The moral of this whole thread is, Zelda is zelda! It is it's own game and it's own series with it's own choices on how to do those things.

The end!

(Unless someone else has something to say, i'm pretty much done with this thing...)

So until E3 everyone!

-Eriad-