Fayt Zelpher's Mafia - Round 2

Fayt Zelpher

Um, one thing.

Because I'm seriously ticked about the people who show up and never post, I'm considering a new rule. Every living person who doesn't make at least one post each day phase will be modkilled at the end of that phase - mafia, town, or third party, it doesn't matter.

In other words, if you're too lazy to show up and actually play the game, just get rid of your name right now and don't waste the time of people who actually want to play.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you don't post after two consecutive days you should be modkilled, that's fairer.

Edit: Unless you state you'll be away.

Edited by I Eat Tables

Suppose you can't make a post one day, though? They should have at least one free-pass, right?

If they contact me ahead of time via PM, I will grant a one-time exception. But if they miss a second day, they get axed without exception.

The fact is - the reasons for missing the phases aren't relevant - it's the fact that if that person can't show up, he or she shouldn't sign up.

Let's take an example. Like Ninji.

His stated reason for not posting much is that "making a post that's literally just HURR DURR I HAVE NOTHING TO ADD TO THIS CONVERSATION would be stupid" and you really can't expect everyone to just make absolutely random bandwagons with no legitimate reasons behind them, so what, are you forcing Ninji to say "HURR DURR I HAVE NOTHING TO ADD TO THIS CONVERSATION" every day?

Let's take an example. Like Ninji.

His stated reason for not posting much is that "making a post that's literally just HURR DURR I HAVE NOTHING TO ADD TO THIS CONVERSATION would be stupid" and you really can't expect everyone to just make absolutely random bandwagons with no legitimate reasons behind them, so what, are you forcing Ninji to say "HURR DURR I HAVE NOTHING TO ADD TO THIS CONVERSATION" every day?

Yeah, I'm going to do just that. At least that proves to me and the other people playing that he's still actively participating and playing in the game.

What, are you gonna make the no roleclaiming rule again next?

How about not allowing people to change their votes?

What, are you gonna make the no roleclaiming rule again next?

How about not allowing people to change their votes?

No, and no.

Don't give me the slippery slope fallacy, okay. It's only going to end badly for you.

No, and no.

Don't give me the slippery slope fallacy, okay. It's only going to end badly for you.

YOU MADE FUN OF ME I'LL MODKILL YOU >8[

A system of prods will probably be best. Things may come up that are unexpected and don't last long, so I don't think it would be fair to modkill so quickly.

I do agree with your sentiment, so I won't be draconian with the enforcement, but I do want people to be well aware that not participating is grounds for being modkilled.

Don't inactive people usually get picked off anyway?

Not that I mind having less townies to go through. :newyears:

That is correct. However, what happens is that the mafia pick off the active people and the town lynches the inactive ones, and the town wastes all its time on inactive people instead of the mafia, which is unfair to the townies who actually are playing the game.

And part of it is that if I (or other people) are going to go through all the trouble of making and hosting a game, it's kind of rude to sign up and then make us go through and waste our time trying to get you to actually carry out your role.

I don't really agree with modkilling someone for lurking, though I do see your point behind it. I suppose I could make a meaningful post every day if I had to.

Though in my opinion, not all lurkers are a problem. For instance, Ninji and Pride don't usually post much, but they always use their roles when they have them.

I think part of this problem could be solved by not having sign-ups so far in advance of when the game starts. That way, you eliminate the people who sign up because it seems like fun, but lose interest or have their circumstances change in the weeks/months before the game starts.

If you kill people for not being, then you shouldn't reveal their role, that way they could explain what happened and they could rejoin.

So I've been thinking about modifying the rules and creating a new rule:

PM's will be allowed. However, with any given PM, there will be a random 10% chance that I will post said PM in the thread, along with the person who said it. That gives an appropriate penalty chance with each PM sent, while allowing the individuals to make that choice for themselves. Obviously, role PM's and Mafia PM's are NOT subject to said penalty.

Of course, I need to be invited to all conversations for this to work, but I don't think that will be a problem.

Any major objections?

Edited by Fayt Zelpher

Would you also post the name of who it was sent to?

I thought about that, and no, I wouldn't do that. When I came up with that decision, my thought was that it would be like the conversation was being overheard, but you couldn't see anything. So, you'd know who was speaking based on the sound of the voice, but you couldn't make out who else was actually there.

This is how things work in EpicMafia, and yeah, it's a decent system. It is, however, easy to get around a lot of the time. E.g. say there's a player who you know is innocent and you want to tell him your role. If you just sent "I'm the Cop", then that could be overheard and you get killed by the Mafia. Instead, you send "Townie/Tracker/Cop/Doctor" in one message, and "3" in the next. On their own if overheard, it tells the town nothing, other than you're talking to someone, but it reduces the chance of being outed to 1%.

This is how things work in EpicMafia, and yeah, it's a decent system. It is, however, easy to get around a lot of the time. E.g. say there's a player who you know is innocent and you want to tell him your role. If you just sent "I'm the Cop", then that could be overheard and you get killed by the Mafia. Instead, you send "Townie/Tracker/Cop/Doctor" in one message, and "3" in the next. On their own if overheard, it tells the town nothing, other than you're talking to someone, but it reduces the chance of being outed to 1%.

If something like that gets to be a problem, I reserve the right to consider posts like that to be in essence the same post, and post them all as if they were one long post.

Well, the point of that is that it reduces the risk, but also increases the risk that some information gets out. To stop people inconveniencing themselves by sending multiple messages like that, perhaps you could make it so each paragraph has a risk of leaking. That way, information can be cleverly blocked to minimise too much risk but also increase the risk of something coming out?

Well, the point of that is that it reduces the risk, but also increases the risk that some information gets out. To stop people inconveniencing themselves by sending multiple messages like that, perhaps you could make it so each paragraph has a risk of leaking. That way, information can be cleverly blocked to minimise too much risk but also increase the risk of something coming out?

I can consider doing that as well...