Fullmetal Alchemist

Inactive Account

So Fullmetal has had a few threads, but they're all too old to post in. With the series coming to close next month, I thought it needed a thread.

Anyway... here we shall discuss the sheer awesomeness that is Fullmetal Alchemist.

So the manga ends next chapter; Brotherhood will also end next month. I'm glad the series is getting closure instead of dragging out, but at the same time, I'm sad because it's ending...

Also: Oh man, the latest chapter (107) was AWESOME. If you're keeping up with the manga but haven't read the chapter, here: http://mangastream.com/read/fullmetal_alchemist/152/1 (it's better than Onemanga's copy by far).

Manga:

Oh gosh, AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLL. We'd better see you again, Al! Also Roy and Riza were awesome.

Brotherhood: We just saw Roy find out who killed Hughes (and no, Hughes' death is no longer a spoiler, it happened years ago.)

That was intense... they really got that part right, I thought. Envy was owned.

So, more discussion! And if you haven't read/watched FMA yet, let us persuade you to!

I stopped reading the Manga at chapter 101 I believe. Wasn't fond of waiting a month just to read the next chapter so I moved on to reading JoJo but once FMA is finished, I'll read its final chapters.

I found Envy's end amusing.

Kinda curious as to what happens with Roy's eyesight.

Edited by Speedwagon

It's an awesome series! Just wish I'd gotten to see more than the first series and the movie.

Favorite males:

Hughes

Greed(Greed and Hughes look a lot a like :unsure: )

Roy

Favorite females:

Lust

Riza

Noah(from Conqueror of Shambala)

Favorite things?:

Riza's shooting

Laura Bailey's voice acting

The flying drop kicks that Ed pulls off

More stuff once it comes to mind.

I think there's an unofficial law that states that you have to wait a month between reading chapters 104 and 105... it's necessary for 104 to have the proper effect. Anyone who's read 104 will know what I'm talking about.

Riza's kicks are better than Ed's XD ("Stay back, Colonel, you're useless when it's raining.")

And then he goes and manages to be useful when wet... but that's a bit of a spoiler if you've only seen the first anime...

Also:

Best. Picture. Ever (spoilered cause it's HUGE):

04-05.jpg

It's an awesome series! Just wish I'd gotten to see more than the first series and the movie.

^Exactly this. It's one of my favorite fictional stories of any media. I didn't like the movie as much as the series though. In fact, I think the series had a better ending that should have stopped there.

I stopped reading the Manga at chapter 101 I believe. Wasn't fond of waiting a month just to read the next chapter so I moved on to reading JoJo but once FMA is finished, I'll read its final chapters.

I found Envy's end amusing.

Kinda curious as to what happens with Roy's eyesight.

I'm fine with the monthly waits personally, since Arakawa tends to make stuff happen at least twice per chapter so it's a satisfying read, unlike often happens with your regular weekly shônens.

[spoiler=Envy only]"Pinpoint with one hand and huge blasts with the other? This is ridiculous!"

Final chapter coming next month, it seems. Rumors say it might have up to 150 pages.

Which reminds me, the anime's end might be rushed as hell. They weren't expecting the final chapters to be extra-sized.

I didn't like that the movie left Ed and Al cut off from everyone... but I like the manga/Brotherhood continuity much better anyway.

Also, regarding the different continuities: Dante/Father OTP.

Final chapter coming next month, it seems. Rumors say it might have up to 150 pages.

Which reminds me, the anime's end might be rushed as hell. They weren't expecting the final chapters to be extra-sized.

I think they had some warning, but yeah, I don't know how they're going to fit it all in. Double-length last episode, maybe?

Edited by Darth Lacuna

I think they had some warning, but yeah, I don't know how they're going to fit it all in. Double-length last episode, maybe?

Well, they've been consistently making episodes on a ~60 pages -> 1 episode ratio.

The latest episode ended at half of chapter 98. That leaves roughly... 480 pages, final chapter excluded. If the final chapter really has 150 pages as some claims, that'd mean 630 pages for 7 episodes = 90 page average.

Yes, the series seems to have 63 episodes scheduled. I'd expect not one, but two or three double-length episodes from now on.

I believe they've been screwing on the pacing lately, though.

And then he goes and manages to be useful when wet... but that's a bit of a spoiler if you've only seen the first anime...

Uh, in the first anime, there was this part that Edward drenches him with water but Roy lights up a match and uses that flame instead. Does that count?

I started watching it a couple weeks ago then got all disappointed when I realized it was still ongoing and I had to wait for episode 55 (now it's on 56 I think).

I hope the chimeras live all the way through. Gogogo random tag-alongs.

I think there's an unofficial law that states that you have to wait a month between reading chapters 104 and 105... it's necessary for 104 to have the proper effect. Anyone who's read 104 will know what I'm talking about.

Too bad 105 happens. Too many people are being left alive and Father isn't being successful enough, he has a god inside him for crying out loud (yes, I know about the power he needs to keep him in check and not fully use him). I say this because my most preferred moment in this manga is Hughes death. I wanted some more and was already expecting Al's sacrifice.

Too bad 105 happens. Too many people are being left alive and Father isn't being successful enough, he has a god inside him for crying out loud (yes, I know about the power he needs to keep him in check and not fully use him). I say this because my most preferred moment in this manga is Hughes death. I wanted some more and was already expecting Al's sacrifice.

Shônen mangas are expected to have happy endings, though.

Oh definitely bittersweet. I don't see

Hohenheim and Izumi surviving, for one. I also doubt Ed gets his leg back, and though I'd really like for Roy to get his vision back, I doubt it's happening. Given Scar's current condition, his death wouldn't surprise me, either... there's also the matter of Ling, and what happens when he's separated from Greed.

I think for some characters it'll be a fairly happy ending but they'll have darn well earned it.

Shônen mangas are expected to have happy endings, though.

I don't dislike happy endings, I just don't like overly happy endings. It seems that there no lesson in them, that suddenly all negative consequences disappeared and the suffering of the characters magically vanished from their memories. That is what I'm afraid will happen.

It'll probably be a bittersweet ending if anything. I haven't come to expect anything "happy" with this series.

This series for me is actually quite happy, I found the first one to be sadder but that's just me and it's been a while since I saw the first one. I still enjoy it, though, probably deserves a full 8. However, the finale will have some weight in my final note.

I can see everyone giving something to bring Al back (or Ed if he goes ahead). Actually, I can only see Hohenheim dying since it would somewhat grant his wish that he had with Trisha, maybe Scar might die as an atonement for Wendy's parents. The others will most likely survive and learn even more how to handle and turn their losses in lessons and thus advantages for the future. I have mixed feelings for Greed, Ling will survive but will Greed "suicide" to give the souls of his stone rest or will he start enjoying what he wanted all along (friends)?

• 2 weeks later...

Oh good Lord. This episode. (58 just came out.) This episode. This episode. I know exactly what happens because I've read the manga, but argh, I'm nearly in tears anyway...

Some of the recent episodes seem to have had QUALITY going on a bit, but the end of this episode... was really well done I thought... and augh...

(This is the episode where

they cut Hawkeye's throat.

Oh gosh.)

Edited by Darth Lacuna

Oh good Lord. This episode. (58 just came out.) This episode. This episode. I know exactly what happens because I've read the manga, but argh, I'm nearly in tears anyway...

Some of the recent episodes seem to have had QUALITY going on a bit, but the end of this episode... was really well done I thought... and augh...

(This is the episode where

they cut Hawkeye's throat.

Oh gosh.)

Brotherhood is already at this point of the series ?! Wow, thank god the manga seems to reach its end, seeing the recent chapters. Otherwise, the anime would have caught up for sure.

I'm watching 59 right now...

Even though I've read past this in the manga, and know how it goes... I'm still nearly in tears...

ROY ROY ROY ROY AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA NO ROOOOY ~collapses~

Just... his expression... and then "The light... where's the light?" ~cries~

And Al. Oh, Al...

I really need to catch up with the anime. I get the feeling that I'm missing some really nice stuff even though I'm reading the manga. 30 episodes, 20 minutes each... oh God... there goes 10 hours of my life.

You aren't missing much if you're reading the manga and not watching the anime, imo. The pacing and animation aren't very good.

Talking about the manga, it seems the final chapter is already out in Japan.

I believe it's officially released on the 12th. Leaks are getting out now. I won't link to them, because I'm trying to not read it yet myself (have fifteen more volumes to reread before I can do that). There is one page I saw, though, that appears to act as a sort of epilogue, and it kind of had me crying. I mean, I got something in my eye. Yeah.