Ok, who actually likes the Battle Animations for this game?

Ideally you would trace over the 3D models in pixel, but IS may not have had time to do that (and it would take time).

Then I'd look like some stuff in FE8, of which animations I'm the least fond of.

The only time a sword spins in FEDS is when the character's entire body moves in some way, when a Swordfighter spins the sword in his hand to be facing behind him/her before dashing in to strike, or mounted Social Knight/Paladin crits (which don't spin that much anyway). Almost every promoted unit in a GBA game spins their weapons for a few seconds before doing a strike where these spinning tricks are largely unnecessary to do. Your argument hinges on the two promoted units that aren't like this.

The reason the crits work to imply extra pain FEDS is that a lot of attacks have increased range of movement to build extra force in a swing, that and there is a large crashing effect whenever a unit hits an opponent with a crit.

SOMETHING SPINNING DOES NOT INCREASE ITS POWER, BUT THAT AND SIMILAR UNNECESSARY FLOURISHES ARE OFTEN THE ONLY THING IN FEDS CRITS. GBA ALSO HAS THOSE, BUT THEY HAVE OTHER THINGS THAT DO INCREASE POWER. AND THEN WHEN THAT'S ALL THERE IS, I SAY THAT IT MAKES NO SENSE.

There's also a large crashing sound in GBA crits. Is that what makes me think it was a better attack? No.

Now, when you put a charging horse behind a spear, yeah, it's gonna do more. Someone drops from the sky on you? Does more. Someone slashes you repeatedly? Does more. Someone spins their sword and maybe goes a little faster? Not three times more damage, that's for sure.

Edited by Slize

You're trying to make sense of something that's not supposed to make sense.

Exactly.

These complaints seem so unfounded. I mean, the Myrmidon animations in Sacred Stones don't even MAKE SENSE, critical or otherwise - and you want to rag on Shadow Dragon because they spin their sword around before hitting? The FE8 Myrmidon animation/critical looks more like a dance than an attack. At least the animations in Shadow Dragon were fluid and realistic.

As Lethe would say, THIS IS A RIDICULOUS CONVERSATION.

Edited by Sykil

I'm not complaining because they spin their swords, I'm complaining because that's ALL they do, but somehow, it makes sense that it does 3x more damage. I don't see how that makes sense. And I already said that I don't want criticals like the GBA SM/Myrm, but that at least it made sense for them to do significantly more damage.

Basically, I like FEDS's fluid animations, but I felt as though the criticals were lacking, and the sprite style was horrendous.

Whiskey. Tango. Foxtrot.

Pardon me a moment, I have to clue you in on something, Slize. Combat isn't something that you'd generally suppose has much do with real estate, but number one rule for both is: "location is everything". Suppose that I took a knife, and stabbed someone in the forearm. Now suppose that I took the same knife, and using the same force, stabbed someone in the neck. You'll notice that one of these events is more serious than the other. Hint: the life-threatening situation is the one where your carotid artery gets perforated by a pointy object.

Now, I understand that by treating this argument seriously, even in small part, that I'm in danger of extending validity to something that's dangerously close to single-handedly out-asinining the entire Internet. However, I figured it was worth pointing out that hamfistedly applying F = MA to Fire Emblem combat, and then calling it a day, doesn't really do the question justice. Isaac Newton might be proud, but Miyamoto Musashi would not.

Well, I understand that. Someone attacking someone's foot 14 times in a row is not as effective as, say, one beheading. But enemy sprite variance makes that difficult, as well as the ambiguity of exactly how far the myrm slashes. I don't know if it goes all the way through the enemy, or if it just goes in some of the way before it gets pulled out. IIRC, when I was messing with the sprites, I noticed that, in fact, the sword does NOT seem to go clean through most enemies, meaning that the crit would be more effective. Yeah, any of them would prove fatal very quickly, but I think the crit would kill faster. Of course, there's the problem with this since, in FE, it's possible for something to cleave in two, yet do no damage...

If there are collision detection issues, it is probably just an oversight due to the fact that the Swordfighter's weapon is smaller than most characters to show that they are one of the weaker characters. Their attack moves fast enough to make this difficult to notice and a hit strike still appears so it still looks like they are hitting the target despite this.

Edited by Ilyana

Well, I understand that.

Then there is nothing more to discuss. They don't bother to indicate precise hit zones -- that would be complicated and silly, you might as well complain about the lack of realistic blood pouring out of your DS -- so you can interpret a spinning sword as meaning that your Swordmaster just found the other guy's aorta, on purpose or by accident. It's not a complicated concept, and it's sufficient explanation for something as meaningless as this subject.

Pardon me a moment, I have to clue you in on something, Slize. Combat isn't something that you'd generally suppose has much do with real estate, but number one rule for both is: "location is everything". Suppose that I took a knife, and stabbed someone in the forearm. Now suppose that I took the same knife, and using the same force, stabbed someone in the neck. You'll notice that one of these events is more serious than the other. Hint: the life-threatening situation is the one where your carotid artery gets perforated by a pointy object.

Profile paged.