Mortal Kombat 9

grandjackal

Not sure if I'm actually allowed to show the trailer, but if I can (witht he obvious NSFW and such due to blood und gore), let me know.

What I can tell you is this.

-Return to 2D fighting style like Street Fighter 4 did, being done in 3D graphics. Seems to return to a playstyle akin to the 2D fighters of the series (as opposed to the style switching and such of the 3D games).

-Seems to be a reboot starting from MK2. Signs of this being a lot of the shown stages are straight from MK2.

-Fatalities are hinted to be pretty brutal. In fact, the trailer displays the start of a particularly gruesome one for Kung-Lao.

Returning Cast

Shao Kahn

Raiden

Kung Lao

Sub Zero

Mileena

Nightwolf

Johnny Cage

Sektor

Reptile

Shang Tsung (Old Man)

Yet to see Liu Kang and Scorpion, but I can't imagine why they wouldn't be in this one.

-Corny crap where hits show off the internal damage in close up shots where you can see their skeleton get fractured. Hopefully this won't interrupt gameplay, or you can toggle this crap off.

-Assists, ala Marvel vs Capcom. I'm told this was done in the Endurance Mode in the original MK2 (I can't remember, it's been too long since I've played it), but it's not specified in the trailer.

-Most likely coming out in 2011.

The cast sounds appealing so far (Shao Kahn, yes!). Though Mortal Kombat is pretty cheesy, the cheese has a certain charm that makes me go back to it from time to time. I hope Dan Forden is composing for this. He always had a knack for ambient music, though admittedly not too good to listen to on their own, but a great asset for a game like Mortal Kombat. Creates the perfect mood. His MKII stuff is, in particular, really nice.

I'm actually pretty excited to be honest. Can't wait to hear more!

EDIT: And yeah, Endurance Mode could be accessed through a cheat code in MKII, though I only remember it being so in the SNES version.

Edited by Nightmare

The cast sounds appealing so far (Shao Kahn, yes!). Though Mortal Kombat is pretty cheesy, the cheese has a certain charm that makes me go back to it from time to time. I hope Dan Forden is composing for this. He always had a knack for ambient music, though admittedly not too good to listen to on their own, but a great asset for a game like Mortal Kombat. Creates the perfect mood. His MKII stuff is, in particular, really nice.

I'm actually pretty excited to be honest. Can't wait to hear more!

EDIT: And yeah, Endurance Mode could be accessed through a cheat code in MKII, though I only remember it being so in the SNES version.

Pretty much my feelings on the matter, however I hate to dissapoint, but I don't think Dan Forden's composing. I forget reading who was doing hte composing, but I don't recall the name Dan Forden. Would have been nice though, his music while not good on standalone was perfect for setting the atmosphere for the games.

Also, it's hinted that we will see Sindel as well.

http://kotaku.com/55...han-ever-before

So, who was expecting this?

-Super Meter, can go up to 3 levels like how it does in King of Fighters.

-EX moves cost 1 bar (yes, there are EX moves in Mortal Kombat now. Examples being: Sub Zero's ground freeze when EX goes from a mere puddle of ice to nearly the whole screen's worth of floor, Reptile's Acid Spit becoming more like acid vomit so it has a longer duration and stream, or his Force Ball, of which comes out larger and bounces the target higher).

-Breakers cost 2 bars. For those who don't know, breakers basically make a combo STOP, and pushes the attacker away.

-X-Ray Combos (think Supers, just far more basic) cost all 3 bars.

I also wish I could link the fatalities footage, but again I don't think I'm allowed here. ESPECIALLY these ones, cause they are NUTS!

Edited by Speedwagon

Whoa whoa whoa, MK with supers? Didn't expect that, but it's sounding really great so far!

Well, TECHNICALLY it has supers now. Really, it's just showing those X-Ray combos, which I suppose when they connect they do a combo for good chunks of damage.

They act like supers, just don't expect anything like Shinku Hadoukens. I'm thinking they're all gonna connect at melee.

However, they COULD change that. They have 9 months of development left, so that's plenty of time to rearrange something like that. For all we know, we might be about to see Scorpion whip out some sick-ass super using his spear.

I sure hope Shao Kahn has supers and fatalities too and is playable.

26-28 characters is what Ed Boon said he was aiming for. We got Sub Zero, Scorpion, Kung Lao, Reptile, Nightwolf, Sektor, Mileena, Raiden, and Johnny Cage, leaving us with 17-19 slots left.

Kahn could be playable, so you might have your wish.

Returning Cast

Shao Kahn

Raiden

Kung Lao

Sub Zero

Mileena

Nightwolf

Johnny Cage

Sektor

Reptile

Shang Tsung (Old Man)

Yet to see Liu Kang and Scorpion, but I can't imagine why they wouldn't be in this one.

Don't forget Kitana and Sonya.

Btw, I hope MK9 will return the Kreate a Fighter feature.

-Fatalities are hinted to be pretty brutal. In fact, the trailer displays the start of a particularly gruesome one for Kung-Lao.

That one was from Mortal Kombat Shaolin Monks.

This said, I like where this is going. No weapons, Street Fighter elements, good old arenas and characters. This is going to be awesome. And online play too.

Come on, bring back Friendships and Animalities.

Don't forget Kitana and Sonya.

They've yet to be announced, though I wouldn't doubt the both of them getting in. We got 9 roster spots filled, and that leaves 17 left.

Btw, I hope MK9 will return the Kreate a Fighter feature.

They're not even returning Friendships back, Kreate a Fighter is not gonna be anywhere near this.

That one was from Mortal Kombat Shaolin Monks.

It's a lot better executed here.

This said, I like where this is going. No weapons, Street Fighter elements, good old arenas and characters. This is going to be awesome. And online play too.

I would link to the real action, but I don't think I'd be allowed to link to such gruesome stuff on a site due to the rules.

What you guys are REALLY missing are the small touches they put into the game.

It's totally not on youtube or archived on Gamespot *coughcough*

Come on, bring back Friendships and Animalities.

Confirmed not to return, right out of Boon's mouth.

Edited by Master Tang