Lord of Azure Flame: Suggestions

Inactive Account

Alferis is armed with a Tomahawk. Does that mean that he's really using a handaxe?

... Pretty much. Except it looks cooler maybe...? That's certainly what Chase does with his weapons... Wind Bow was a red color, dagger has a ruby in the hilt (now that I think about it, I'm not sure if I ever mentioned that... whoops), and Crimson Bow is pretty show in itself.

^ The thing is, no counters at close range and a defense loss is somewhat harsh to me. There's also the matter where, you know, there's 2 range weapons for every other weapon type with the same effect (and magic has long-range spells available). Short Bow wouldn't get the bonus of no counters or something, maybe there could be a Longbow that has effectively 2-3 range to balance out the range options for weapons?

• Replies 938
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We seem to ignore countering at close range/long range deal for everyone (often you just don't get counters while attacked). There was that whole 1/2 range discussion, but meh complicated. So just take -1 Def/Res for now and don't take counters.

Exp formulas are 5 for existing (characters who are already leveled up do not receive this), 5 for attacking a normal enemy, 10 for killing a normal enemy, 10 for attacking a boss, 20 for killing a boss. Different enemies may give different totals.

I believe the chapter Exp (5 per) should apply to all characters (who joined past Ch1 of course, though Reika should receive it as well)

I don't think the Exp formula should be retroactive for all kills by the way, partially because I don't think anyone can be arsed to do all the calculations before Chapter 5? 6?

People should calculate chapter Exp for their own characters.

I don't think the Exp formula should be retroactive for all kills by the way, partially because I don't think anyone can be arsed to do all the calculations before Chapter 5? 6?

People should calculate chapter Exp for their own characters.

Umm just so you know. Irina got 10 exp for nailing Helenos <.< >.> she's at 55.

Helios gets no bonus Exp at all actually (it's the number of chapters you were not present for, Helios has been here the whole time).

The point is so newer characters aren't as far behind as the old ones (they'll still be behind for the most part)

Edited by -Cynthia-

So, I was doing some maths at the grocery store today, specifically in regards to the proposed saving throw amendment.

Let us consider the following:

Character A invests 6 points into Luck. Character B invests 3 points into Speed and 3 points into Miracle. All other things being equal.

If we go by the proposed new Luck transfers straight to saving throws:

Character A has 3 points of Evade from Luck, Character B has 3 points of evade from Speed.

Character A has a guaranteed save from Luck, Character B has a guaranteed save from Miracle.

Perfect parity, indicating that the 3 stat point cost for the skill is reasonably priced.

However, let me point out that choosing the skill still offers a number of advantages:

1) Luck cannot be raised to 6 until Tier 2, meaning Miracle users have levels of advantage of non-miracle users.

2) Miracle users are not required to allocate their extra skill points for additional evade, giving them added flexibility

3) Miracle users can still opt to try a regular save based on their own Luck stat after they use up their Miracle.

This is after buffing Luck. As it currently is, with the Luck/2 formula, Luck stat is just boned.

Other opinions?

If saving rolls can only happen once per battle anyway I see no reason that (roll equal to or less than your luck) shouldn't be implemented. i think it does mention in the OP that saving rolls only happen once per battle, so that's fine.

Now if you can make multiple saving rolls per battle, the system should be kept as is, or else 6 Luck= invincible.

Edited by -Cynthia-

The issue here is, that Miracle only activates once per battle. So, via that system, if the unit is attacked once per turn, the unit w/ Miracle is screwed. But the point here is that Miracle is easily the best skill at the moment. We need to figure out some sort of balance.

Edit: @ Cynthia: Saving rolls are once per action sequence per phase. IE, someone gets saved on the first attack. If they're doubled, the second hit would down them.

Edited by Snike

I had thought it was only once per battle, and honestly, it makes more sense that way to me than once per phase. If it's not that way, I propose it be made that way.

Edit: As I see it, a Saving Throw is your clue to "Crap, separate from the combat, and get some healing in". You shouldn't be trying to bounce up and down like a yo-yo with it.

Edited by Balcerzak

Well then, uh, Miracle just made God tier in a possible skill tier list.

Speaking of skills, I think the penalty for them is a bit too harsh. Other than for Miracle, though. So, I propose a 1-2 point decrease in the costs of all skills. Discuss.

Miracle actually just lets you automatically make your first saving roll. I always acted like saving rolls were a once per battle kind of deal anyway. So in a way it's as if you have 6 Luck, but you don't get the 3 Evd or other random benefits.

That's awfully hard to retcon at this point. 1 point is definitely too cheap, 2-3 is debatable. I would leave it as is.

Edited by -Cynthia-

@ Skill cost

I would want it as Skill cost:2 stat points, but that's just in-game preference rather than caring about balance. If I think of a good reason other than wanting an extra stat point, I'll let you know. Don't count on it though.

Problem with 3 for a skill, is, with the caps being unattainable as-is, that only leaves 4 points for Tier 2, and puts the units further behind in the pack. For example, Eric, who's already 3 points down, gets Resolve/ Miracle. He can only cap 2 stats, so, since he's a swordmaster, up goes skill and speed. While he does have 8 speed, he only has 3 Str, and so he's hitting and getting hit as a Myrm. I just feel it's too severe, for such mediocre skills (barring Miracle).

Edited by Snike