On physical disciplines

Rehab

From 5 to 12, I took lessons in Tae Kwon Do. It wasn't a conscious effort, since I don't actually remember deciding to take it - "I'm here, sure is a lot of work and discipline and oh look I'm a first degree black belt and oh apparently people are surprised when I kick high enough to hit the face of someone taller than me"

I ended up dropping it and most all other physical activity, which means that at this moment while I'm still skinny, I have half the stamina and a fraction of the flexibility I used to. In the back of my head, I've considered taking up a physical discipline to practice again, both because I know that it feels good to be flexible and because it would be good for me, but I've wondered if a martial art in particular may do more harm than good in the long run, ever since I read somebody implying that Muay Thai practitioners (for example) throw out their knees by the time they're 40. It's hard to think putting my foot on my head in TKD stands to be too much better (though I haven't looked much at what it's derived from, Taekkyeon, which seems a little more promising)

Back at this moment, I'm looking for something to practice that I know will improve my health rather than degrade it over time. I've considered yoga for a long time for its emphasis on flexibility, possibly interesting philosophy and chill attitude, but looking it up, there are some things that make me wonder if it's a bit close to a religion for comfort. I once read of a set of instructions made in the 1940's IIRC that taught how to avoid some of the stress put on the body day to day by relaxing certain muscles at certain times, the "(something) Method," which apparently got some positive results but whose name I forget. Then again, martial arts are sexy. 8}

If any of this is familiar to anybody, any kind of help or discussion would be appreciated (please no LMGTFY, I'm on it). Who takes any kind of physical disciplines, and/or knows whether they help in the long run (or if the best thing is just to take multivitamins/go vegetarian/whatever and hope for the best)?

edit: contemplating taekkyon/going vegetarian/my grammar mistakes, danke nightmare and dio

Edited by Rehab

I've taken bodybuilding for quite some time now, and though I don't work out right now (due to a muscle injury), it helps. It helps a lot. Even in a week, I could feel my stamina increasing immensely, and I had much more strength than before. So yes, it does help. You can take multivitamins and hope for the best, but from my experience, that doesn't really help.

What really helps, aside from having physical exercise, is a very healthy diet and sleep schedule. And by healthy, I don't mean food that's not fattening or whatever, I mean food that's nutritious. Just try to have a balanced and nutritious diet and you'll be doing great.

Perhaps you could be interested in Judo. It's more available than many disciplines and is way easier on the body than the likes of Muay Thai, which is indeed pretty violent considering they do use their knees and elbows to fight. In fact a man well in his sixties I shared my work environment with is still practicing Judo, despite starting later than many. Old age doesn't stop him from practicing at all and he really surprised me with his agility and strength.

Still, the basis of a healthy body remains good food, a nice amount of sleep and good exercise.

You could look for a 'soft' style martial arts like aikido. I don't practice it, but from what I read about it, it seems to be a lot of counters, throws, and joint locks (which you do need to be careful with). Youtube has a lot of aikido demonstration videos that you could look up.

As far as Yoga goes, I've heard it's good for you, though I've also heard Tai Chi is good for you as well. So I guess it all comes down to personal choice.

Edited by Hatari

• 7 months later...

Personally, if you want to better your body, swim. I know it's not a martial art, but it improves your stamina, works all of your muscles, and burns fat. I swim during the winter and summer, and run/work out during the fall and spring, and I feel great.

Vegetarian is a choice, I personally eat meat just as much as vegetables. Meats can contain proteins and fats that can help growth, though some vegetables can too. Just treating yourself right with enough sleep, exercise, and HEALTHY foods (Which can include fat), and you'll feel and grow better and better.