what are considered the best supports?

TheYugiohKid

Even for a ranked run, the best supports are usually the fastest ones. The tactics rank is always breathing down your neck, so you can't afford to waste too many turns simply for a small statistical boost. The units should also perform similar functions and have identical movement, if possible. The two best are probably Hector/Eliwood and Kent/Sain.

Agreed, but in fact I'd start that post "Especially for a ranked run." Generally, Supports should be just taken when they can, and not planned out too much - very few characters will get beyond C rank supports, so chances are you'll not cap supports on anyone (or perhaps one/two people).

Worry about everything else, and then supports. Grab Eliwood and Hector's C, and Lyn and Florina's C when it comes to you, but don't sacrifice anything for getting it. I do remember S-ranking HHM with Sain and Kent with an A support at the end, but I had to actively try to get it, and sometimes that means having to throw a Javelin instead of using a weapon with more might and accuracy, or not attacking the enemy you want to attack, or not attacking with one of them at all.