Dwarf Fortress Succession Game

Defeatist Elitist

Is anyone here interested in playing a Dwarf Fortress succession game?

Dwarf Fortress is a tiny game with mindbending complexity and depth. In it, you vaguelly control and to some degree micromanage a group of manic depressive alcoholics, along with their procedurally generated personalities (Urist McSoapmakerDwarf likes gabbro, cobaltite, plump helmets, and Giant Cave Spiders for their shape), and try to survive in the hostile (or not so hostile) environment of the wild. After suceeding at this, you will, well, continue to try to survive. There is no way to win, and there are a lots of ways to lose, but it's great fun regardless, once you learn how to play. You'll have to deal with threats from above, around, below, and, considering the demeanor of the average dwarf, more often than not from within. Through clever usage of a keyboard controlled menu system beyond anything you have ever experienced, you have to guide your stunted charges along an axes edge, and then try to cut your beard with it. Oh yeah, and you also build shit and can channel magma and divert rivers and slaughter living things of all shapes and sizes.

While the game is enormously intimidating at first, and likely ugly as sin, this can easily be alleviated through the excellent Dwarf Fortress Wiki, the Bay12 games forums (they have a lot of nice utilities there, including tilesets, Dwarf Therapist, and even a super easy, super cool Lazy Newb Pack which includes the game and everything you might want to start out. There are tutorials all over the place, and some have even been posted in this topic. Beyond that, there is a fairly involved, somewhat handsonish tutorial for an older version of DF located here.

So anyone willing to give it a shot?

LIST SO FAR:

Overseers:

ZXValaRevan DONE

Iced CURRENT

Shu Shirakawa

Balcerzak

Integrity

Dorfed list:

Nightmarre

To be Dorfed list:

empty you bitches start applying

Now, if anyone has any qualms about the order, remember it is somewhat temporary, so feel free to shuffle around and rearrange. Overseers feel free to dorf yourselves if you find yourself without a dorf, though try to avoid undorfing someone else to do it.

Edited by ZXValaRevan

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You run a fortress of dwarves. It's got an insane learning curve and NO tolerance whatsoever. I don't recommend trying to play it unless you're willing to make significant time investments (learning to play will take several weeks) into a game with ASCII graphics.

What's the game about?

A bunch of stupid, alcoholic midgets who would gladly risk the life of all their friends and family to retrieve a single sock.

You run an incredibly complex ASCII fortress (I assume we would be using graphic packs though) and try not to be killed by pretty much everything.

Hmm, can't make that sort of commitment, especially when my holidays are ending.

You only have to play for one year, that can easily be done in an evening. (unless it's late game)

If you want me to play, I will, but you might be disappointed. I'm very good at DF and it'd probably end up making it harder to lose, rather than following the tradition and making things worse.

Edit: AND WHY DON'T YOU TELL US WHO POSTED IT ORIGINALLY, HM?

Edited by Shu Shirakawa

If you want me to play, I will, but you might be disappointed. I'm very good at DF and it'd probably end up making it harder to lose, rather than following the tradition and making things worse.

Edit: AND WHY DON'T YOU TELL US WHO POSTED IT ORIGINALLY, HM?

That's not how you play DF, it's not hard at all to make an impenetrable, self sufficient fortress, but is it fun? no.

Your missing out on a lot if your fort doesn't have pointless constructions and unlabeled levers everywhere

That's not how you play DF, it's not hard at all to make an impenetrable, self sufficient fortress, but is it fun? no.

Your missing out on a lot if your fort doesn't have pointless constructions and unlabeled levers everywhere

No, my fortresses have such things.

....But they DON'T DIE.

I don't understand.

(also, I've beaten hfs)

I've seen at least one of Haru's fortresses, it had a wonderful lava cannon or something, as well as other nifty gadgets. That said, I don't think it's possible to build a fortress so impregnable that someone who inherits after you can't fuck it up. Even if it was, there's still much fun to be had.

I've seen at least one of Haru's fortresses, it had a wonderful lava cannon or something, as well as other nifty gadgets. That said, I don't think it's possible to build a fortress so impregnable that someone who inherits after you can't fuck it up. Even if it was, there's still much fun to be had.

I made a replica version of a computer running on fluid physics. I made it run Conway's Game of Life.

So we have me, Iced, Haru (it's fine if you're good, trust me, someone will find a way to fuck it up) and Balcerzak so far, is there anyone else interested?

EDIT: Also, any ideas for world creation? I definitely want a large world, but other than that I'm not too set on anything. You guys have any preferences?

Edited by ZXValaRevan

I would want to except this game confuses the everloving fuck out of me and makes me cry and I don't enjoy it anymore. :(

These are pretty good tutorials if you actually feel like learning. http://www.youtube.com/user/51ppycup

I've no preferences for the embark, high savagery always makes early game interesting though, it needs to have a volcano too.

We're going to dwarf people and all that stuff like regular succession games right?

We're going to dwarf people and all that stuff like regular succession games right?

Of course! It's not a real DF succession game without Dwarfing people, and of course without individual ruler personalities and insane quirks.

Also, I'll probably do the first year with embarking (unless someone else would really like to), and I can record what I do so people could watch that to get a bit of a clue. Plus, you can always ask!

Also, it seems waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay harder than it really is. Honest.

Edited by ZXValaRevan

EDIT: Also, any ideas for world creation? I definitely want a large world, but other than that I'm not too set on anything. You guys have any preferences?

Either a volcano without a fucking aquifer or something with a marble layer would be glorious.

Edited by Shu Shirakawa

Either a volcano without a fucking aquifer or something with a marble layer would be glorious.

Hahaha, I'm somewhat retarded at world generation, but I shall try my hardest. I guess it's probably not that hard to generate a world with a location like that somewhere, so I'll just scour the overworld map for a volcano when embarking or something.

Hahaha, I'm somewhat retarded at world generation, but I shall try my hardest. I guess it's probably not that hard to generate a world with a location like that somewhere, so I'll just scour the overworld map for a volcano when embarking or something.

Couldn't you just remove the [AQUIFER] tag from the raws (or use the thingy in the LNP) and use the custom prams' to get a silly amount of volcanos?

surely one of the results would have the rest of the things we want.

Edited by Iced

Couldn't you just remove the [AQUIFER] tag from the raws (or use the thingy in the LNP) and use the custom prams' to get a silly amount of volcanos?

surely one of the results would have the rest of the things we want.

I should be able to avoid aquifers without getting that intense, but yeah, sounds good enough. Tons of volcanos!

Do we want to start establishing order and then start this up soon? We might get joiners as we go along.

Anyway, anyone who wants to be dwarfed, just say what you want to be dorfed as (otherwise I'm using your current/most common username), and if you care say male or female, and once we've dorfed the players we will start dorfing others.

I'll also volunteer to go first.

Edited by ZXValaRevan

You know, guys, I have a damn lot of experience world generating from modding the game. Do you want me to do it?

Also, we could start now and accept onlookers as they want to join.

Edited by Shu Shirakawa

You know, guys, I have a damn lot of experience world generating from modding the game. Do you want me to do it?

Also, we could start now and accept onlookers as they want to join.

Starting now seems good. And if you could do that modding, that would be great! Just upload the world/save file as soon as you're done and I'll start (unless you want to go first, which would be totally fine)! Make sure you've all got the latest version (there's been a pretty recent release, so yeah).

I'm fine with starting now.

You should probably write up an OP explaining what the game is, good tutorials to use and what people can do to get involved as well, even if it's just links to the relevant info. most people outside Bay12 aren't going to be all that familiar with the game or a secession LP.

I'm happy to go second or third, being a Mason/Engraver or a crossbowmen would be great.

31.18 isn't a recent release, it's been months, were almost due for a new one by the looks of things.

Edited by Iced

I'm fine with starting now.

You should probably write up an OP explaining what the game is, good tutorials to use and what people can do to get involved as well, even if it's just links to the relevant info. most people outside Bay12 aren't going to be all that familiar with the game or a secession LP.

I'm happy to go second or third, being a Mason/Engraver or a crossbowmen would be great.

31.18 isn't a recent release, it's been months, were almost due for a new one by the looks of things.

Good advice.

And I meant recent as in "If you downloaded it a year ago and played a few times you will have to get a newer version".