Round 5

rz1XK.png

Round 6

y1dzE.png

Round 7

taEEb.png

Round 8

BQwT9.png

Other than the Round 5 Map(which I'm remaking), feel free to comment on these maps.

Edited by Aura Wolf

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, looking good Aura! Seriously man, you've improved so much since that first map you made over at SoS. Now on to critique:

1) This looks pretty good, but the right side could use a little more love. Right now it seems empty.

2) This one is the best of the three IMO. The one glaring thing I notice is that you're wall designs could use a little spice. Feaw made a good mini tutorial for wall design which is part of the mapping tutorial (check out the Spriter's Resource topic).

3) Again, wall design will make your indoor maps "pop" more.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Phoenix Down gogogo Imgur why you failing to upload several pics at once?

SoS Round 9

vSSVY.png

SoS Round 11

rwDSH.png

TEB Round 4

B2uPd.png

TEB Round 5 and SoS Round 12

Y17NZ.png

Random Map 1

SKF5t.png

Random Map 2

iVIML.png

Random Map 3

eWvhN.png

If there are old maps with no new updates, well then that's too bad XD.

Edited by Aura Wolf

SoS Round 11 - Your river baffles me. Rivers are normally the lowest part of the land. Water slowly erodes away the soil and rock, creating a depression. Here, you have water as one the highest points in the immediate area.

Also:

03a91a7c47e339bc640b3da81b159850.png

Tile choice looks kinda funny.

Your indoor maps are looking pretty nice. However,

c1b53e185c7598c31c24f6580f50dbd0.png

This is a height problem. The wall directly above the stairs should be 1 tile shorter.

All in all though, looking pretty good.

• 4 months later...

Not so fast 4th page XD

New (In other words, maps that I was too lazy to post before :P) Maps here we go~

My h- PROJECT Time to go post a please help topic where I'll post my ideas without screenshots and ask for help:

Chapter 3

wzJ8L.png

Chapter 4

OmMX9.png

Chapter 5

FvRsM.png

TEB's ZH:

Prologue

GywB6.png

Chapter 1

HxLDp.png

Chapter 2

k7E4D.png

Chapter 3

zkaky.png

Chapter 4

UXClE.png

I could show some later chapter maps, but I'll wait til the next demo gets released.

SoS Contest Round 13:

OK28L.png

Requests:Blademaster's Sun God's Challenge Map 1

YOe1U.png

Blademaster's Sun God's Challenge Map 2

Rj5na.png

Vanilla's Ragefest Map (Round 2)

4YIqx.png

Blazing_Soul Map

qGwIT.png

Critique away. And when I say that, I mean say that I'm the best and that there is nothing to improve on

Edited by Aura Wolf

Nice to see you constantly improving, Aura :)

I think the biggest thing I'm noticing between all the maps is a sense of space. Many of the maps have areas where it's really busy, and then suddenly there's next to nothing. If you could even things out it would make the whole map that much better. The biggest offenders would be chapters 2 and 4 of the Zombie Hack. Maps that I think have a good sense of space would be the first request for Blademaster and the Prologue of the Zombie Hack.

I hate squashed villages, but that's a personal thing.

And deranger, I know what you mean, but he's got no choice on that tileset. There's only the fully shaded tile, not a half shaded one. Sprite in your own

And deranger, I know what you mean, but he's got no choice on that tileset. There's only the fully shaded tile, not a half shaded one. Sprite in your own

Even so, the lowest diagonal shade tile makes no sense, corners usually do not foster sunlight.

Edited by deranger

Mmk, fixed the shading for Chapter 4. Will post once I know what to do for this:

The biggest offenders would be chapters 2 and 4 of the Zombie Hack

Could you point out some areas that could use more "importance"? I'm...not good at spotting this XD

Nonononononono

Deranger is correct entirely.

Should be something like this.

Or alternatively, this.

Yes I added that tree for kicks.

Misinterpretation on my part then :V I meant for the shading to make sense it would be half shaded like this.

There's no way those little fences would cast so much shading.

Mmk, fixed the shading for Chapter 4. Will post once I know what to do for this:

Could you point out some areas that could use more "importance"? I'm...not good at spotting this XD

a8391214c7fc0da8ce3afa2a238d0d9a.png

Here, there's really nothing going on. In comparison to further left where you've got a building and some different dirt tiles, it's way empty. You don't need to go overboard adding things. Just something to catch our eye and break up the monotony.

e1e993d29b12f33991d31c03f4705dad.pnga23733998492a5d6ca73677a9d152e15.png

Here, it's much the same. Very busy in the center, and then sparce and vacant. Yes, I know towns are pretty busy places. But, some pathing or something similar would definitely help this map out.

Misinterpretation on my part then :V I meant for the shading to make sense it would be half shaded like this.

There's no way those little fences would cast so much shading.

well yeah, I agree with that, but those tiles don't exist in the tileset, I was trying to work with what was already there herp

a8391214c7fc0da8ce3afa2a238d0d9a.png

Here, there's really nothing going on. In comparison to further left where you've got a building and some different dirt tiles, it's way empty. You don't need to go overboard adding things. Just something to catch our eye and break up the monotony.

indeed, something could easily fit there.

e1e993d29b12f33991d31c03f4705dad.pnga23733998492a5d6ca73677a9d152e15.png

Here, it's much the same. Very busy in the center, and then space and vacant. Yes, I know towns are pretty busy places. But, some pathing or something similar would definitely help this map out.

going to agree here again

• 2 weeks later...

Unless the sun's shining right above somewhere along the horizontal tiles near the top of the map, the shadows shouldn't have diagonals going both ways like that I think.

Space management seems better.

Looks like a little bit of tile spam on the lava map for the darkest land tile, not sure how many options you had with that. Other than that, tile spam doesn't seem to be an issue.

Some of the pathways/ dirt yellowy parts on the latter map seem to squarish.

Edited by deranger

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...