Vykan12

17 members have voted

1. 1. What should I TAS next?

• FE6 Hard Mode
    • An FE Hack (eg/ Elibian Nights)
    • FE8 Ephraim Mode
    • Other (please specify)

I recently finished a Sacred Stones Hard Mode TAS (

), but I enjoy making these videos so much I'm thinking of tackling a new project.

Now, the problem is these types of videos have a really niche audience, so I'm looking to make a TAS that would appeal to more people, specifically the community here. So, vote away.

Note that I won't be working on the following, since Rolanmen1 and Toothache42 are working on those games, respectively.

FE7 Eliwood Normal Mode TAS

FE6 Normal Mode TAS

Here are my preliminary TASing ideas:

FE6 Hard Mode- The enemies on this mode are so powerful that it'll be difficult just to ORKO them without crits. This will be one of the few FE games where you can't just send a pre-promote like Seth or Marcus in a group of enemies and destroy them all, virtually unscathed. Even with intense manipulations the strategies used will be more conservative and interesting.

FE Elibian Nights- I quickly browsed through the hacking forum and this seems like the most complete and overhauled hack available. Feel free to suggest any hack you like though. I'm more interested in a hack that changes every map in the game than sprite changes, or even difficulty boosts. Growth changing would do nothing other than increase the time taken to manipulate str/skl/spd level-ups.

FE8 Ephraim mode- I've already done a TAS of Chapters 9,13 and 14 of Ephraim mode, and the remaining chapters are pretty trivial, aside from the phantom ship. This would also change chapters 15 onwards since Cormag would be raised instead of Vanessa, which means I can't triangle attack Fomortiis for a 1HKO. An easy solution to that is to raise Myrrh in the gorgon eggs chapter and have her 1HKO Fomortiis.

Other ideas- FE7 HHM doesn't interest me much because the difficulty change isn't as significant as in FE6, and hardly any maps are changed compared to ENM. S ranking would be boring because of the amount of staff usage required. 100% runs are hard to define, though usually involve recruiting all characters and getting all chests, which I suppose is a little intriguing.

Dolphin can run Fe9/10 just fine. The problem with Wii emulation is that you need quite a high end PC to pull good framerates, and then we're not even talking about the added load from the recording. You need mid end PC for FE9 emulation and recording, I'd wager.

My vote goes to FE6 HM.

Dolphin can run Fe9/10 just fine. The problem with Wii emulation is that you need quite a high end PC to pull good framerates, and then we're not even talking about the added load from the recording. You need mid end PC for FE9 emulation and recording, I'd wager.

My vote goes to FE6 HM.

I meant Dolphin's suitability for TAS (save states ect).

If you can pull it off from a hardware/software thing, FE9 would be the first GCN TAS.

I'm assuming Dolphin/your PC isn't at the point where an FE9/10 run would be doable right?

I would need to buy a new video card and either a new computer, or go to the effort of overclocking my processor. At the moment I'm not really willing to do either :/ Also, there isn't much information available on FE9/10's RNG, so I'm not sure how I'd manipulate it.

You should do that Battle Preparations (FE7 arena 5 turn chapter) TAS we talked about long ago.

My memory is a little foggy, is that the gaiden chapter right before the final? Was the idea to fool around with the cursor a lot?

TAS Troll FE8.

If I can do so relatively quickly, this could be a fun little challenge :) Isn't the hack incomplete though?

Okay, I just read the first few posts of troll FE and I have to TAS this game :D I feel like I'm going to have some nasty surprises while TASing... like I'll raise some hax unit, just to lose them like Orson.

Edit: Mekkah, do you have a savestate near that arena chapter?

Edited by Vykan12

My vote goes to FE6 HM.

Just to clarify, you don't really even need that high-end a computer to run it. You just need a system pretty much setup to play modern PC games on. Which isn't all too high-end. However, yeah, recording will put a huge stress on it.

Also, Dolphin's buggy and inaccurate emulation has issues with FE9, leading its savestates, or something like that, to become corrupt. It becomes impossible to finish the game. there were a few revisions which didn't have such issues, though I don't remember the version numbers off-hand. You'll have to use an older version to ensure compatibility with the game as properly as you can--or at least, so that you can finish the bloody thing.

Also, troll FE8 sounds good for a TAS.

Just to clarify, you don't really even need that high-end a computer to run it. You just need a system pretty much setup to play modern PC games on. Which isn't all too high-end. However, yeah, recording will put a huge stress on it.

Also, Dolphin's buggy and inaccurate emulation has issues with FE9, leading its savestates, or something like that, to become corrupt. It becomes impossible to finish the game. there were a few revisions which didn't have such issues, though I don't remember the version numbers off-hand. You'll have to use an older version to ensure compatibility with the game as properly as you can--or at least, so that you can finish the bloody thing.

Also, troll FE8 sounds good for a TAS.

I've done 2 PoR runs 1 RD run on Dolphin 2.0 and while there are still problems with rendering the fight scenes (certain parts of characters get stretched out) I've found this release stable. And yes, some savestates can still become corrupted, but it's notably less often than with pre-2.0 releases.

Dolphin 3.0 was released not so long ago. And there are still developments happening.

I may be slow with FE6 NM TAS, but I have a busy real life and other commitments, so I tend to work on it during whatever spare time I get. It will get done!

BTW, the encode is not temporary, since it is a full HD version. There'll be a regular encode available for download when the run gets published on TASvideos.

Edited by Toothache

I forget if toothache's run is full Fe6 or just to 22. If it's not full, then full Fe6 hard mode gets my vote.

If toothache's run is full Fe6, then Fe5 gets my vote, though that may be a bit much.

Edited by billymills

I'm not sure if I'll continue, Franz is basically turning into a less durable Seth with flight and 1-2 range. Having Artur as a mogall intrigues me, though.

Edited by Vykan12

Franzlv8.pngFranzlv9.png

Franzlv10.pngFranzlv12.pngFranzlv11.png

Franz is straight up trollin'. I identified his defense growth as 15%, so getting 3/5 def stat-ups is very good, especially with half of those level-ups being on enemy phase. I'm not sure he'll ever reach a point where he'll 1RKO enemies without worrying about his durability while carrying Eirika, though. An early promotion would help a lot for that.

5x doesn't look too bad. Orson's offense has been nerfed, but he's more durable now, and Ephraim seems to be able to 1RKO consistently. I'll probably use a carbon copy of the usual 5x strategy, but with more Ephraim drop/re-rescues.

[spoiler=Questions for Mekkah]

Does Neimi ever hatch?

What do her 3 0-use vulneraries do?

What would happen if I gave her the boots?

Are there any village items/chests I absolutely cannot miss?

Are there any other trolls that would otherwise ruin my TAS runthrough as it is? I'm imagining C10 Eph as having 100 ballista boats for some strange reason.

Edited by Vykan12

No.

Get in the way.

Normally if you give a unit with 0 mov the Boots, they will have 2 mov. However, I think there's some properties on the Gorgon Egg class that stop you from selecting her, unless I've removed those.

I didn't change any of them (yet) and I don't think any of them are really crucial.

I try not to make this unbeatable even if you completely screw yourself over (eg having everyone but the Lord die) but hey the day is still young! You did go a little overboard with the Short Bow but you never 100% need Seth to kill something and even if you did I'm sure you could scrape together another.

I've done 2 PoR runs 1 RD run on Dolphin 2.0 and while there are still problems with rendering the fight scenes (certain parts of characters get stretched out) I've found this release stable. And yes, some savestates can still become corrupted, but it's notably less often than with pre-2.0 releases.

It's a speed run! You don't have animations on anyways!