DSG's Not-So-Clever-Named Sprite Gallery

Orpheon

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

478354efc26e98e80d914b845e473194.png?1353379601

Is this better for the eyes? I think that the face looks better overall with them. I also decided to scrap the current concept I had for his design. Less villager-y, more regal.

EDIT: Now that I look at it more, that far eye looks a bit wonky with the white/skin tone on its right...

Edited by penumbralMacabre

433b93f122d1f6a58f2920a7ef7db17e.png?1353477734

Progress; or so I would like to think. Does the far eye look better? Also, ignore that small bit of lingering trim under the pendant and the dark blue glob on the far part of the scarf.

Edited by penumbralMacabre

• 4 months later...

omg I still sprite? still i progress on the sprite above, really. orz

here, have another wip

9ccd9433cfe0aec6f3ada40520f99749.png?1364006974

I'm going to change out the lapels, I was just using the head as a base.

His nose needs more shading, and his eyes are making a derp (looking away from each other).

Otherwise, I like it. º w º

Where is it that you see the derp? From what it looks like to me, both eyes are looking to the right.

[spoiler=kinda large image]e1bae9675dc2e2db692274e315e772ee.png?1364093049217850684b4a5cc5500f5d08797ca251.png?1364092916

The irises are going the same way, so could you please point out what's making the eyes look away from one another?

Fabs face. So condescending.

He r sooper srs o 3o

Alright, so I've come farther along.

d47bee001db40664178c125614683371.png?1364177737

Although right now the shoulders feel a bit off. Can anyone confirm?

Edited by DualSilverGunner

I can confirm that his eyes are derping. The far pupil is looking waaaaaaaaaaaaay off compared to the near pupil. The shading on the pauldrons are off. The near one's trim should be lighter where as the far one's trim should be shaded more. Collar angle doesn't match the armor or the head. Ears are at different levels (I'd move the near one up 2 pixels or so). He needs more shading on his chin area...reference the original FE7Murdock cause you kinda just erased all that shading. Neck needs more shading.

I'm liking the expression concept, however!

I can confirm that his eyes are derping. The far pupil is looking waaaaaaaaaaaaay off compared to the near pupil. The shading on the pauldrons are off. The near one's trim should be lighter where as the far one's trim should be shaded more. Collar angle doesn't match the armor or the head. Ears are at different levels (I'd move the near one up 2 pixels or so). He needs more shading on his chin area...reference the original FE7Murdock cause you kinda just erased all that shading. Neck needs more shading.

I'm liking the expression concept, however!

Thanks for the help, Char!

821ed93ec856ff8ffafc2b0d2e2b035d.png?1364253494

I've addressed everything you've said so far except for the pauldron shading and the collar angle. I moved the far pupil in a pixel, moved the near ear up a couple as well. I tried to fix the shading with the neck/chin too. The problem with FE7Murdock, is that his chin is pretty bleh with shading (and by bleh, I mean not much shading) and his neck is covered by that collar of his, so I ref'd Dorcas' chin and added in a goatee while I was at it.

Anything else you can spot before I move on to the pauldrons and collar?

Love this guy's face. I especially like his burn/scar.

As for things I'm seeing with this, is the gold trim (or whatever it is) on the right edge of the chest plate supposed to only be on that side of the armor? Additionally, the far shoulder's trim seems a bit thicker than the near, might want to adjust it to be thinner, or make the near wider, Char already touched on this though with the far shoulder needing more shading. The shoulders themselves also seem to be high, like he's holding his shoulders up--on the contrary I think this works if he's very heavily armored, but his shoulders don't seem quite wide enough near the bottom to give that super meat man look.

Love this guy's face. I especially like his burn/scar.

As for things I'm seeing with this, is the gold trim (or whatever it is) on the right edge of the chest plate supposed to only be on that side of the armor? Additionally, the far shoulder's trim seems a bit thicker than the near, might want to adjust it to be thinner, or make the near wider, Char already touched on this though with the far shoulder needing more shading. The shoulders themselves also seem to be high, like he's holding his shoulders up--on the contrary I think this works if he's very heavily armored, but his shoulders don't seem quite wide enough near the bottom to give that super meat man look.

b0e45de291d58ae53aab5285de71372b.png?1364325258

You mean what I circled? I guess I could call that a tassle. It was like that when I grabbed it from Fado, it was only on one side. Same goes for the trim, was like that from Darin. But that doesn't mean I can't change it; I'll add those to the list, thanks!

I have a dentist appointment in a bit so I'll start the edits again when I get home.

4b89d55d73b8b3e4d8742fbeb630375e.png?1364523891

Okay, hopefully the face and the collar are done with. Now to move on to the pauldrons, I guess.

I moved the near pauldron down a pixel or two, so hopefully he doesn't have that "super meaty man" look anymore.

• 5 months later...

Touching up the splice I made for this weeks contest. I didn't like the clothes options available so I'm going to be finding better alternatives than the cloaks that were from the contest.

f50d26b735c14f01de64aeac47bdfc2e.png

If anyone can point out anything else to touch up on it would be appreciated.

thanks for the crit, guys, I'll be sure to revise my work accordingly

Alright, I think I'm satisfied with the body now though. If I change anything up, it'll be to try and make the sash seem symmetrical in regards to the way it wraps around.

f830460d2b9476029cc0d25e498d5476.png

EDIT: oh yeah, what do you guys think, scar or no scar?

Edited by DualSilverGunner

The fact the far side wraps around the bust kinda makes it very difficult for the sash to seem "symmetrical" in terms of wrapping around. Also, it pmuch makes no sense, folding/wrinkling the way it is around her near arm. It's pmuch just floating. Also, near armpit is cut up waaaaaaaaay high.

Personally I like the scar idea, but you're going to have to change the execution of it a bit. Either make it a little bigger and more faded, like with Vaida, or add some darker shades and thin it out towards the ends--Legault's an example for this. Right now the shading there is a little uniform. Also that strand of hair hanging by her ear doesn't really make sense. It looks like it has enough weight to fall forward, not connect at an odd angle to the relatively weightless hair in the back (at least not without some sort of hair ornament there).

Other than that and the points in the post above, it's a pretty nice, clean splice. I like the design.

Thanks for the crit, you guys. I addressed the arm-pit, the scar, and the hanging hair-strand. Also changed part of the bangs to make it less Selena-ish.

452f7b3eb4542adf637de9d874a44fb6.png

I'm going to need to fix the near strand though, there's that.

@Aeo: After tinkering with the far sash, I see what you mean. Any suggestions on what I can do?

4qJD6.png

Iono. Just kinda roughed around with both. I think it looks better with only the slightest indication of the shawl as opposed to wrapping around completely, but... whichever you prefer or something. I still feel like the armpit is cut kinda high. The red seems really dark. Perhaps more contrast?

Edited by · j e a l o u s y ·

• 2 weeks later...