R.I.P. Atlantis...

Today marks the end of the final space shuttle mission by NASA... So sad to know that we won't be seeing space exploration anytime soon... sad.gif At least Atlantis will be immortalized as a display in the Smithsonian -- a fitting tribute to the accomplishments of human ingenuity!

*blinks*

Wait, what? Really? I mean, sure, in my view it's worth trimming at least a LITTLE funding and putting it towards the fact that the US is imploding, but...

Huh?

*blinks*

Wait, what? Really? I mean, sure, in my view it's worth trimming at least a LITTLE funding and putting it towards the fact that the US is imploding, but...

Huh?

I know right? They should cut that damn military budget instead of stopping a noble endeavor!

Exploring space is retarded. Yes, we have a bunch of great technology thanks to the thinking involved in space travel. But at the same time, nothing will likely ever come from space travel in the near foreseeable future. We should be cutting money from NASA and the military.

Nothing will likely come in the near foreseeable future because we're not doing anything right now. Besides, searching for the truth, is in and of itself a noble quest since the desire to satisfy our hunger for knowledge is a natural one. This, on top of the fact that there is the possibility of colonizing other planets or mining asteroids for minerals makes space exploration very worthwhile. Yes, it might take a long time to reach that level of expertise in space travel, but if we don't try, we never will.

1. Nothing will likely come in the near foreseeable future because we're not doing anything right now.

2. Besides, searching for the truth, is in and of itself a noble quest since the desire to satisfy our hunger for knowledge is a natural one.

3. This, on top of the fact that there is the possibility of colonizing other planets

4. or mining asteroids for minerals makes space exploration very worthwhile.

5. Yes, it might take a long time to reach that level of expertise in space travel, but if we don't try, we never will.

1 conflicts with 5.

2 is a foolish idea we need to throw out if we wish to save ourselves in the present.

3 isn't the best idea. Man kind is better off trying to make a self sustaining ship like what was seen in Wally for example since the sun will eventually engulf the earth anyway

4 is the only possible worthwhile reason for immediate space exploration, but we should be focusing on renewable energies instead

5 we don't have the level of technology to really do yet.

2 is a foolish idea we need to throw out if we wish to save ourselves in the present. Thats rather silly, just because we have global warming/starvation/wars/multitudeofotherproblems doesn't mean we can't focus on other things as well as the ones mentioned before. Besides, the pursuit of knowledge and truth is what might saves us.

3 isn't the best idea. Man kind is better off trying to make a self sustaining ship like what was seen in Wally for example since the sun will eventually engulf the earth anyway I'd say its much easier to find a planet and live in it. Although a self sustaining ship isn't a bad idea. Also Wally :3

4 is the only possible worthwhile reason for immediate space exploration, but we should be focusing on renewable energies instead Just because a group of people do A doesn't mean other can't do B.

5 we don't have the level of technology to really do yet. Trying leads to improvement.

1. We need to cut money from everywhere, even entitlement. 14 trillion dollars doesnt just happen.

2. Space travel is stupid. It's never going anywhere. You heard it here.

3. We need to build a new road system.

No, it is not foolish because the desire for knowledge is what drove scientists in the first place. Maxwell, Faraday, Newton, and Einstein were all driven by the hunger to know. None of them did their research in hopes that it will end famine and yet without them, we would not have computers or any of the technology that we have today. So although the practical applications may seem a bit far fetched now, they will be useful one day in the future.

we don't have the level of technology to really do yet

And we never will if they keep cutting budgets for the people developing the technologies.

Although a self sustaining ship could work, another planet (Mars) would be a much simpler choice since it has ice, an atmosphere, geothermal energy and a 24 hour day. In theory, all we need would be oxygen and we're good to go (we could grow plants using the ice on mars)!

But people get fat living in space 3= *is experimenting*

And in all seriousness, would that be more dangerous than living here? (No atmosphere protection and whatnot)

We could mine for gold!! 8O Oh wait out in (heehee out and in they negate each other =]) space that might be uncommon to find, I don't remember what makes me think this though so maybe I could be wrong...

*kicks away seriousness* But venturing out in new places in space is so fun for those guys!!! =D

No, it is not foolish because the desire for knowledge is what drove scientists in the first place. Maxwell, Faraday, Newton, and Einstein were all driven by the hunger to know. None of them did their research in hopes that it will end famine and yet without them, we would not have computers or any of the technology that we have today. So although the practical applications may seem a bit far fetched now, they will be useful one day in the future.

*bring* *bring* *bring*

Hello? Fire Emblem Addict? This is Reality calling. Can you please get a grip?

In actual reality, shit costs money. For you to make a far-fetched claim like "Space travel should continue just to satisfy the hunger of those who want to know more" means that you have no idea what the current finances of your own country looks like.

Here's a thought? Why don't you fix up America first and make that a livable place? Then you can concentrate on expanding that idea to other planets in the solar system.

*prays to god to send peaceful, benevolent aliens to us, since we are clearly not going to meet the aliens anytime soon with the attitude our government/world currently has about space exploration*

I guess it is time to focus on our OWN problems since we are not looking spaceward for the answer. I still dream of space and the stars, I must say.

We could mine for gold!! 8O Oh wait out in (heehee out and in they negate each other =]) space that might be uncommon to find, I don't remember what makes me think this though so maybe I could be wrong...

Gold is rare because its only made in Super Novas IIRC which takes only seconds (maybe even less i can't recall) to do so. Therefore, only a little bit of gold is created.

Edited by Jhen Mohran

Now, I could use clarification, is this the end of manned U.S. space missions or any U.S involvement in outer space entirely? If just manned space missions, I admit I don't see the entire fuss. Sure, I imagine how cool it is for the astronauts to experience being off the planet, but we still have telescopes and satellites to do space research, right?

Hmm.. Hopefully we see a mass effect-like universe by the time I reach near-death age. (If I survive that long...cuz maso)

Look back at the 40-60s portrayals of The Year 2000 in general. Now look at today. Some aspects will seem to have barely advanced at all, others will come out of seemingly nowhere with nothing to precede them. The future is unpredictable.

Look back at the 40-60s portrayals of The Year 2000 in general. Now look at today. Some aspects will seem to have barely advanced at all, others will come out of seemingly nowhere with nothing to precede them. The future is unpredictable.

You have to admit though, it'd be pretty cool to travel in space and go to other planets and everything... Although it be complicated seeing as traveling in the space is harder than it seems :<

Oh, I'm not denying that. It's just tech usually ends up going less than expected, and mostly in completely different directions.

I WISH that there was enough funding available to give this research its due. But I'm also not going to fool myself into thinking that it's exactly vital to the running of the state.

Although it be complicated seeing as traveling in the space is harder than it seems :<

*Types on keyboard, which moves fingers through space*

It's not so hard, I'm a space traveler already!

I WISH that there was enough funding available to give this research its due. But I'm also not going to fool myself into thinking that it's exactly vital to the running of the state.

I am. There are too many signs, human and divine, telling me that space travel is where mankind's destiny is. But I can't use the divine in arguments about space travel, because that would pollute both sides of the equation and give the impression I had a vested interest in space travel, which is totally untrue. I have no interest in making it off of Earth.