[FE8] The Decision...... Draft

Janissary

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm... Ross.

Darn. Oh well, at least this means I can play Chapter 2. I will post my counts once we finish drafting. Also, feel free to RNG abuse around a bit. For example, if you don't get a 2 turn count on the Prologue, I will tell you how. I want this to be a little more optimized than some drafts, so that we can have ideal runs as much as possible in order to see how much removing Franz matters.

Edit: Moulder still exists.

Edited by Janissary

I have a video somewhere of the two turn on the prologue. Just trade Seth's shit and burn an RN.

You can also do it like this:

Attack with Eirika.

Burn 1 RN.

End turn.

Move Eirika into range of O'Neill.

Burn 1 RN.

End turn.

Congrats Integrity, if you actually put in the time to finish this you will win!!!

Seriously, why is the 2nd best character banned? Vanessa is much better than Franz is. LOWEST TURN COUNT WINS, not the person with the best combat unit. Vanessa saves alot more turns than Franz does, and she can easily get 5 or more level ups in Chapter 4 to toughen her up. All you need is one other early unit and you're set.

Also banning warp only makes Vanessa (and the other fliers) better.

BTW trading items DOES NOT affect combat RNs.

I know what it said. The point was that if you burn RNs you can 2 turn clear the prologue. There is no need to mention something that has no affect on the desired outcome, especially since you dont NEED TO trade Seth's stuff in order to clear in 2 turns. He just needs to burn a few RNs, trading is optional.

There was another thread that also talked about trading items to burn RNs. I just want to clarify this before it leads to any confusion, since it did seem to imply that trading items was necessary.

But back to my main point, why is Franz banned in a draft where the lowest turn count wins?

Tana, Syrene,

Ah, what the hell. It's not like FE8 drafts take me longer than two afternoons. Vanessa.

Vanessa...Tana...and Syrene... Thank God Integ ain't got Cormag too...

But back to my main point, why is Franz banned in a draft where the lowest turn count wins?

Why don't we look at the draft I am in with you for why Franz is better than Vanessa.

1. At Chapter 8, you are 11 turns ahead of me.

2. I have Franz and Eirika to kill stuff, you have Eirika, Vanessa, Ross, Neimi and Colm.

3. You devoted your entire draft strategy to maximizing Vanessa by grabbing early units to ferry.

4. I picked Franz and then picked whoever because I didn't need anyone to help Franz.

Basically, Franz is better because even when you have all the early game advantages, I am still only 11 turns behind (which I'm expected to start making up soon, and if not, I'll make them up endgame for sure because Saleh's staff rank blows). Also, your team maximizes Vanessa's usefulness in my opinion. If I had been a more competent drafter, I would have gotten another early unit and the gap would be even lower (I should have taken Gilliam not Dozla).

Vanessa isn't gamebreaking when she's the only peg. She requires you to draft for her strengths and strategically use her. Franz is gamebreaking when he's the only cavalier, and by the time you have other cavaliers, he's so obviously superior that it's almost laughable. He is an easy button that allows to simply move forward and kill stuff and claim you are a smart tactician when you get low turncounts.

Janissary,

Having so many early units has only hurt my turn counts since Vanessa and Eirika arent able to become over-leveled. I could easily have gotten 8 turns lower through Chapter 11 but i decided to spend an extra turn or 2 on alot of Chapters to get some extra exp.

I will let you see for yourself though. Without Franz to compete with her, Vanessa will completely dominate earlygame and her supporting cast will help her dominate lategame.

When they're both draftable, Vanessa saves a ton earlygame, but leaves the player without a decent bosskiller for the rest of the game, while whoever has Franz should not be too far behind Vanessa early on, and becomes a bosskiller himself. Like Integ might have Vanessa, Tana, and Syrene, but if his Eirika gets strength screwed, who is going to kill Callaech?

But without Franz in the draft, there is nobody to equal Integ's early game, and he's gone kick our asses unless he suddenly can't remember how to play FE8.