Trying to improve as a player

Bruce

hmm I was wondering for forum etiquette should be. Initially I was asking for general advice about improving. Now I've shifted to more of a map by map with turn counts and descriptions of how I played each map. Should I start a new thread like a HM Playthrough thread or something? I don't want it to be so generic that people just ignore it, and yet want to make sure to be following proper etiquette.

I'm playing on HM and want to get better at playing on HM because playing on NM is too easy. problem being, HM is too hard. I get killed repeatedly and consistently and this is without even trying for low turn counts. It seems like all it takes is to miss with one attack on a map and it's enough to get dead. I might check around for videos of playthroughs or something to see if there are some obvious strategies that I am missing or if this game is just that hard.

You might think Hard mode is hard at first, but after you've learned all of the different strategies for each map that can be done with only two or three units you'll realize how trivial it is. A really good way to pick up these strategies is to re read different draft playthroughs, which outline the basic strategies for each map. If you want to enter a draft for yourself and get better, there happens to be one open right now, waiting for one more sign up.

http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=27617

Ok...so I basically decided to give up on trying to clear asap and focus on not getting dead. I'm on 1-8 no dead people using Eddy, Nolan, Jill (all 20/1) Zihark, Volug, Miccy, Sothe, and Laura. I was reading over draft stuff, and honestly the whole needing to proc hits or force things to happen in a certain way or you are dead or don't get the turn count sounds frustrating. So maybe after I beat it on HM once then I'll do a NM playthrough focused on turn counts so it's not as bad as HM.

Of course on an off topic note this is all just filler until Diablo III, Skymir, Heroes VI, and Star Wars The Old Republic come out!

Ok...so I basically decided to give up on trying to clear asap and focus on not getting dead. I'm on 1-8 no dead people using Eddy, Nolan, Jill (all 20/1) Zihark, Volug, Miccy, Sothe, and Laura. I was reading over draft stuff, and honestly the whole needing to proc hits or force things to happen in a certain way or you are dead or don't get the turn count sounds frustrating. So maybe after I beat it on HM once then I'll do a NM playthrough focused on turn counts so it's not as bad as HM.

Of course on an off topic note this is all just filler until Diablo III, Skymir, Heroes VI, and Star Wars The Old Republic come out!

Darn, your awesome.

I generally have to same issues.

I started my first draft this week ,altho it was for FE7 Lyn mode, I'm quite happy I did that.(currently winning, but 1 guy still has to start :S)

I'd love to do a draft for this game aswell, sadly, I just don't have the time atm.

mostly, what I do in HM runs, (at first) turtle your way through, heal on time and only focus on a handfull.

Nolan and Jill (with some Miccy and Sothe in there xD) get trained in Part 1.

Part 2 is too annoying, but Elincia and Nephenee get alot of special attention from me :P

and part 3 is Ike, Mia and then depending on my mood.