GBAGE and other things.

FalconVegeta1986

So recently, i've run into a problem where inserting a weapon sheet causes my game to freeze. I've inserted weapon sheets before with no problem, but i've done other things to my ROM that I want to find out if it would cause the problem.

First off, can weapons and things like map sprites be edited in GBAGE itself, or must they all be dumped, edited, and then re-inserted? If the sheet were ripped from a fresh ROM, and promptly re-inserted into the ROM unedited, what would likely be the cause of any problems?

Next, would Ephraims portrait unedited/ not recolored and inserted over portrait 0x03 (IIRC, it's Eliwood looking at you) have any long-term pain and suffering effects, perhaps based on color restrictions?

Would Ephraims battle sprites inserted over any of the FE7 lords (again, unedited and not recolored) have any negate effects later on? And how does his ranged attack work? I didn't see a sheet for it in FE8 anywhere.

Is there a way to stop Hannah from appearing in chapter 14? What would happen if I jumped from ch.14 to, say, chapter 5 of Lyn mode after recruiting her?

Finally, in the preparation screen menu, in the upper-right corner is the number of the current chapter. How do I fix that so it says the number of the current chapter? In other words, right now, my chapter 4 is actually located where the data for chapter 14 originally was, but still says it's chapter 14. How do I fix that?

Sorry for all the questions at once. I like to get a few of them together so I don't have to make a problem topic every 5 minutes.laugh.gif Take your time answering, I don't need all the answers right away.

So recently, i've run into a problem where inserting a weapon sheet causes my game to freeze. I've inserted weapon sheets before with no problem, but i've done other things to my ROM that I want to find out if it would cause the problem.

First off, can weapons and things like map sprites be edited in GBAGE itself,

No.

If the sheet were ripped from a fresh ROM, and promptly re-inserted into the ROM unedited, what would likely be the cause of any problems?

What? Sounds like you are taking a sheet from a ROM and then re inserting it back in unchanged.

Next, would Ephraims portrait unedited/ not recolored and inserted over portrait 0x03 (IIRC, it's Eliwood looking at you) have any long-term pain and suffering effects, perhaps based on color restrictions?

You can only use 16 colors, including the background, but if you are just dumping a mug from one rom to another using FEditor, you won't have any problems.

Would Ephraims battle sprites inserted over any of the FE7 lords (again, unedited and not recolored) have any negate effects later on? And how does his ranged attack work? I didn't see a sheet for it in FE8 anywhere.

Ranged Lance animations use the same frame sheet as regular lance animations, like with swords. As for your first question, I dunno. I recently ran into a problem related to something having to do with that, but regardless, it would just be better to insert in a new portion of the array.

Is there a way to stop Hannah from appearing in chapter 14? What would happen if I jumped from ch.14 to, say, chapter 5 of Lyn mode after recruiting her?

1. I dunno

2. You would go to chapter 5 of Lyn mode.

Finally, in the preparation screen menu, in the upper-right corner is the number of the current chapter. How do I fix that so it says the number of the current chapter? In other words, right now, my chapter 4 is actually located where the data for chapter 14 originally was, but still says it's chapter 14. How do I fix that?

Assuming you are using FE7, you just edit the text for that chapter in FEditor.

What? Sounds like you are taking a sheet from a ROM and then re inserting it back in unchanged.

I did that to test if the problem might have been in GBAGE or maybe the way I was saving/editing the image. It seems to work and not work whenever it feels like.

You can only use 16 colors, including the background, but if you are just dumping a mug from one rom to another using FEditor, you won't have any problems.

I noticed that all of Eliwoods different portraits have the same colors listed under it. That would not cause a problem either?

1. I dunno

2. You would go to chapter 5 of Lyn mode.

Hannah isn't in any Lyn mode chapters, that's what i'm worried about.

Assuming you are using FE7, you just edit the text for that chapter in FEditor.

I'm talking about the part in the upper-right corner that's green and looks like part of the background.

I'm going to post some pics of what i'm talking about if i'm still not making sense.

I did that to test if the problem might have been in GBAGE or maybe the way I was saving/editing the image. It seems to work and not work whenever it feels like.

If you're really that worried, just insert the image into some free space and repoint it.

I noticed that all of Eliwoods different portraits have the same colors listed under it. That would not cause a problem either?

No.

Hannah isn't in any Lyn mode chapters, that's what i'm worried about.

Oh yeah, there probably are no augury convos for those chapters.

I'm talking about the part in the upper-right corner that's green and looks like part of the background.

That should still be fixed by editing the text in a text editor. Only FE8 uses images for chapter names to my knowledge.

So any problems as far as inserting custom icons would be either: A) I some how added a wrong color, B) I didn't save the image correctly, or did not properly edit the image (I was told to use Usenti, don't know if paint would work either), or C) I'm somehow not at the correct offsets, or am trying to insert into the wrong offsets. Any of those seem likely? (Everything else was pretty much answered, thank you for the help).

So any problems as far as inserting custom icons would be either: A) I some how added a wrong color, B) I didn't save the image correctly, or did not properly edit the image (I was told to use Usenti, don't know if paint would work either), or C) I'm somehow not at the correct offsets, or am trying to insert into the wrong offsets. Any of those seem likely? (Everything else was pretty much answered, thank you for the help).

Probably.

Thanks Blademaster! I'm starting to wonder if my game freeze was somehow event related. I'll have to watch ALS' video again and try again myself. If that doesn't work, i'll post what I did and see if that doesn't help solve the problem.