(FE4) Chapter 1 strategies?

CrashGordon94

Yet another FE4 advice thread from me! I must really suck at this game...

Anyway, I can't complete Chapter 1. I can just about get the first castle but I'm stumped as to how I should get past the Forest. All my units can barely move and Jamka pwns everyone before Adean can even TRY to recruit him.

Should I just have my units wait below the Forest and get the baddies to come to me? I really don't have a clue...

Try to position your units near the chokepoint, and have only beefy units like Sigurd and Cuan in Jamka's range. If you're unlucky, you'll simply die, but hopefully you'll survive a round. Then have Aideen recruit Jamka.

I basically got my tanks to bait the enemies and Jamka to come close, and with Aideen close by but not withing range, I got her to talk to him.

Surviving Jamka's Killer Bow for one round is really the most tedious part of it. There doesn't seem like any guarantee that most if not all of your units could withstand it. In my playthrough, I relied on Ardan since he had the highest Defense, and for some reason Jamka was only attacking twice in the one round he had with him.

Move slow, kill enemy.

Someday when you are beeg and strong like Russian you will complete chapter.

EDIT: To actually help, just wait at the edge of the forest or throw your best unit in and hope Jamka doesn't die/kill him.

The REALLY slow version would be to Guard that second castle with a unit with Canto and kill one archer every turn, returning to Guard before the enemy moves. That would be FUN.

Edited by Integrity

Jamuka seems to not hit Edain when she's in-range, but I'm not 100% sure. Send her into the forest in the southeast entrance (with everyone else going in from the east) and occasionally protect her by sending someone behind her, but for the most part she should get to him no problem.

Use Ayra to bait him, she has Nihil so her chance of dying is pretty low (maybe he can 2HKO her with Continue but that's it). Alec has Nihil too but he gets doubled unless he has a speed blessing + Slim Sword, or Speed Ring.

I've always found this is harder than it looks nowadays but I can understand beginners having trouble. Just push Aideen forward, surrounded by good guys if possible, but if she gets attacked it's no biggie since her avoid in a forest is pretty awesome. Maybe look at Balcerak's Ch1 video?

I never had to bait him. I usually had a diamond-outline just outside the one-tile passage with Edin near the forefront. Jamuka usually comes through first, but lackeys die pretty fast with everyone ranged and waiting. Once Jamuka's crossed over and converted, then you just rush. The deep forest really works against the enemy more than you.

This certainly takes a fair number of turns, waiting it out, but crossing the forest takes a fair share of turns regardless too.