The new art style

H-Bastaki

I'd rather my villain look like a badass motherfucker (hello Ashnard) than some wimp (hello Lyon).

And I don't really like the art style either. It's moving in the Final Fantasy or Tales direction of characters wearing ridiculous outfits that are impossible to take seriously; just because the artist had this idea for a costume or a head decoration that he though was just neato burrito and he wanted to show off how creative he is. It's a shame since FE character designs are usually pretty reasonable.

Edited by Anouleth

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only complaints I think anyone can really have are that it looks more "generic anime like" (but so does every JRPG)

every JRPG

You certainly love to generalize things, don't you? The Mario RPGs, Demon's Souls and Dark Souls would like a word with you.

Edited by The Blind Archer

Irrelevant? If anything it furthers the point that an appreciation of graphics is mostly subjective, but there is a point where the function of the art either works or doesn't. Someone could look at the art in your sig and think, "Eh, not for me." And that's fine. But there's nothing really wrong with your art--there's a few minor perspective issues, but overall it's "functional." What it does is fulfilled, and it can't really be docked for that.

Same with the games.

So, since this is the second time I've warned someone for telling someone "To shut the fuck up" and/or similarly insult them within the span of a few days, I'm just going to note for the record: That behavior is unacceptable.

Irrelevant? If anything it furthers the point that an appreciation of graphics is mostly subjective, but there is a point where the function of the art either works or doesn't. Someone could look at the art in your sig and think, "Eh, not for me." And that's fine. But there's nothing really wrong with your art--there's a few minor perspective issues, but overall it's "functional." What it does is fulfilled, and it can't really be docked for that.

Same with the games.

Okay. And how is Lumi's sig directly related to the new FE?

It's irrelevant because I'm not a professional artist and something I drew in 3 hours should not be held at the same level as those getting paid to do graphics work. With the graphics capability of today's technology, not having good graphics is far less excusable than, say, NES era when they couldn't handle the graphic capabilities.

It's also irrelevant because taking jabs at someone's sig in a game discussion is douche thing to do. Especially since they're not paid game designers. A professional artist should be held at a far higher standard than some hobbyist.

That being said, FE13 art is perfectly fine.

I'd rather my villain look like a badass motherfucker (hello Ashnard) than some wimp (hello Lyon).

And I don't really like the art style either. It's moving in the Final Fantasy or Tales direction of characters wearing ridiculous outfits that are impossible to take seriously; just because the artist had this idea for a costume or a head decoration that he though was just neato burrito and he wanted to show off how creative he is. It's a shame since FE character designs are usually pretty reasonable.

Agreed.

IGN had an article a while ago noting that many badass looking characters were generic and bald. Therefore, I would just like to add that the villain should have hair (because what IGN said is true, but not for Fire Emblem in particular).

The contrast is obvious, but the debate is whether the villain should be static or dynamic. Lyon was a good guy, a very good guy, but he was taken over. To be fair, he seemed pretty obvious and looked a little creepy in his "possessed" mugs. Ashnard has always been bad (IIRC).

So, I think the next villain should look badass, but at the same time be dynamic; perhaps it should even go the same route as FE6.

Personally I am pretty neutral on the art style change. I am not sure how I feel about it yet, I'll have to see a lot more before I form any real opinion on it.

So, since this is the second time I've warned someone for telling someone "To shut the fuck up" and/or similarly insult them within the span of a few days, I'm just going to note for the record: That behavior is unacceptable.

Stop mini-modding.

You know many people are also mentioning the ridiculous looking armor knights, but... haven't they always looked ridiculous?

Stop mini-modding.

No you stop mini-modding.

Yeah, but those are the games that introduced many people to FE as a whole. On a secondary thought however, what did the ones in PoR and RD look like?

I will hurt you so hard.

But will it hurt... so good?

You know many people are also mentioning the ridiculous looking armor knights, but... haven't they always looked ridiculous?

Good thing I wasn't the only one wondering this...

I feel like these are definitely the oddest looking ones, though. I guess it's a tradition at IS to make the armored knights look completely ridiculous.

Yeah, but those are the games that introduced many people to FE as a whole. On a secondary thought however, what did the ones in PoR and RD look like?

Good point. Let's take a look.

There's this guy,

tauroneo.png

He looks pretty ridiculous. Someone turned out the lights when he was shaving, and I am fairly certain he talks with something other than what most people do because he does not appear to have a mouth, just a very defined chin. Perhaps he speaks with that.

120px-FERD_Meg.png

Then there's Brom...oh no wait. We'll just use the same portrait for both of them and leave it at that.

At least they have Gatrie.

But will it hurt... so good?

It'll hurt so good that your following death will be an afterthought.

Yeah the all pretty much look ridiculous, although the GBA ones particularly strike me as about to turtle and start screaming "LEGS, ARMS, AND I'LL FORM... THE HEAD"

It'll hurt so good that your following death will be an afterthought.

I was unaware you were into that.

Yeah the all pretty much look ridiculous, although the GBA ones particularly strike me as about to turtle and start screaming "LEGS, ARMS, AND I'LL FORM... THE HEAD"

Wallace and Oswin combining would have been the highlight of FE7 for me.

I was unaware you were into that.

If by that you mean mini-mod murder ™, absolutely. You be the mole, I'll grab a mallet.

edit: get that silly post outta here! *homerun*

Edited by Tangerine