The new art style

H-Bastaki

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought the joke was that the FE12 art displayed beautiful women, whilst FE11 displayed men. :awesome:

FE11's looks awful when compared to FE12's (mostly because of the faces). I can't say I was disappointed with the art at the time of its launch, though.

FE11 also has glaring anatomy issues.

Aigh, this forever. "It's cartoonish" doesn't stretch all that far as a defense for giving someone (especially a physical unit) a waist significantly less wide than their head when the art style appears to be going for fairly realistic proportions aaaaaaagh.

On the actual topic of FE13 art style, it's not what I'm used to for FE, but that doesn't make it bad necessarily. I think it'll turn out okay, I just need some time to get used to it. Character design... it might take me a while to stop laughing at the button hat. I could do without ridiculous character design (at least, more ridiculous than FE frequently already is); if more crops up, I might be mildly irritated. (If I need to get my fix on zippers, buckles, and belts, I'll get a Square game.)

Edited by Kiryn

Other issues I find with FE11 art include parts of the colouring. It's...too rounded off, feels like pillowing but not sprite version, and on some parts (cloth that doesn't billow, mainly), the texturing feels off because of that. Also dodgespam for highlights looks pretty terrible. I will give the artist the ability for detail, though.

I thought the joke was that the FE12 art displayed beautiful women, whilst FE11 displayed men. :awesome:

Except I actually prefer dudes (heterosexual female) so that wouldn't be much of a joke on my part. If anything else It'd be the opposite. :P

Edited by Luminescent Kitty

Except I actually prefer dudes (heterosexual female) so that wouldn't be much of a joke on my part. If anything else It'd be the opposite. :P

Quick, say FE11 art is better!

I know you're a girl, but you can still make that joke... :/

Anyway, I can't wait to see some for OA for FE13.

Maybe I should've posted an all guys pic of FE12 instead and draw abs on them and picked an all chick one for FE11.

Well, I hadn't even thought of it so meh.

Oh come on, now you're just stereotyping male characters. :P

No, I'm saying that I find abs very attractive and more abs the better.

I want all the female characters to have abs too. Even the magechicks. ESPECIALLY the magechicks.

Edited by Luminescent Kitty

So you're saying a slightly overweight Oguma wouldn't be awesome?

And, absolutely everyone, wants Gheb on their team.

A female Berserker, Fighter, or indeed a magechick, with abs would be pretty cool, I guess.

Gheb in 3D, do you want to hinder the chance of another FE being localized ever again?

I'd use Gheb...

• 1 month later...
The art styles have been changing all the time, and this one isn't anything new. Hell, it's way better than to two DS remakes. Their art style was so... weird.

I kind of like the DS remake's art because they look kind of retro. It's a very gloomy version of the old art. But that's just me.

Which one? Since FE11 and FE12 has different art styles. Well, partially. I think the same person who did Frey and Horace's and Athena and all the new people's art did FE12's OA, but the ones of characters in FE1 originally were of another style. I'm just curious to know which one you're referring to :3

I kind of like the DS remake's art because they look kind of retro. It's a very gloomy version of the old art. But that's just me.

I quite agree. It's the official art that's a bit... well, yeah. There's certainly nothing wrong with it. It just didn't actually match the game at all, literally.

• 1 month later...

This has more than likely already been gone over but I'll say it anyways.

The only real problem I have with this new design in Character is the Amour Knight model, I don't know about you guys but I don't find Shellfish to be all that threatening

• 2 weeks later...

Not really. FE style sprites have never exactly been consistant. I kind of like the new art style.

I do agree with this. The transition from SnK to SoS to SS to PoR to RD are the obvious transitions.

IDK, I kinda felt the same way at first, but then it started to grow on me. It does look a little too non-Fire Emblemy(even though FE never really had an ACTUAL style for that matter), for my taste; but I'll get used to it.

I personally liked the styles used in FE games 4-5 and FE 11-12. :XD:

Don't know if anybody said this but, I find the new art style quite similar to the style from Valkyria Chronicles 3. I like it :D

It's more like Valkyria Chronicles 2, the one with the artstyle that everyone thought was kinda generic.

Edited by Refa