Mechanics that you want

Galenforcer

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The fact that every class tree loops around is also odd. It makes it so that every class in those trees shares all of their promotions with something else, and I don't think that's a good thing.

Yeah, it seems like there's also an excess of classes. Is it really necessary to have so many magic users? Is it really necessary to have promotable Dancers, or three different sword and knife-wielding classes in 2nd tier?

And also you misspelled Rogue.

I had a thought about Thief promotions too actually.

Assassins would be able to do everything a Thief could (i.e. picks locks and Steal items and unequipped weapons that aren't too heavy as long as they're faster than their target) and would have strong stats, once again like a Knife-wielding Swordmaster (meaning large promotion gains). Instead of Lethality they'd have a bigger Crit bonus (i.e. +25 instead of the +15 given to SMs/Zerkers/Snipers) and would receive a stat bonus when fighting indoors (since that's where you'd expect to see Assassins doing their thing).

Rogues would receive much smaller promotion gains but would be able to steal unequipped weapons that are too heavy for them and equipped acessories, possibly even equipped weapons under much tigher conditions. Also, I might think of removing the "must be faster to Steal" requirement and giving them a Shade-like skill that activates on command.

Also, I'd consider giving both options a skill that lets them attack enemies they'd normally double without a counter at the cost of giving up their second attack.

The fact that every class tree loops around is also odd. It makes it so that every class in those trees shares all of their promotions with something else, and I don't think that's a good thing.

And? It gives the player more choice as to what they want their units to become. It doesn't really detract anything, but it can upset players so used to the traditional, set-stone method of playing Fire Emblem oh-so loves.

And? It gives the player more choice as to what they want their units to become. It doesn't really detract anything, but it can upset players so used to the traditional, set-stone method of playing Fire Emblem oh-so loves.

More choice isn't, as I have said over and over and over and over again, always better. It greatly depends on what those choices are.

More choice isn't, as I have said over and over and over and over again, always better. It greatly depends on what those choices are.

And looking at this chart...it doesn't give to many good choices....taking dark away from summoner and necro? dah hell?

And? It gives the player more choice as to what they want their units to become.

No, you are wrong. For any given character, there are 3 different classes that they can "end up" as. But if different classes could never promote to the same thing, each Tier 1 character would have up to 4 different options for Tier 3.

It's like how Ewan can be four different tier 2 classes while Amelia and Ross only get to pick from 3, because Fighter and Pirate share a promotion and so do Cavalier and Knight.

No, you are wrong. For any given character, there are 3 different classes that they can "end up" as. But if different classes could never promote to the same thing, each Tier 1 character would have up to 4 different options for Tier 3.

It's like how Ewan can be four different tier 2 classes while Amelia and Ross only get to pick from 3, because Fighter and Pirate share a promotion and so do Cavalier and Knight.

So? It's never been a problem whenever I played Der Langrisser.

So? It's never been a problem whenever I played Der Langrisser.

I'm not saying it's a problem or a bad thing or a good thing. Just that making it so that different classes don't share promotions means there are more promotions and more choice (you said there was less choice). Othin said it was a bad thing to have shared promotions, but I'm not Othin.

Try actually reading these posts in the future.

Edited by Anouleth

Overlapping classes means that there are fewer total final classes (less options) and far fewer unique classes (less meaning to individual characters). Personally, that's not something I'm a huge fan of.

My own three-tier branched promotion chart shouldn't take too long to finish...

Edited by Othin

Overalapping promotions would be rather nice to have, I think. Then if you feel like you've messed up on the first promotion, you still have a chance to try out the other route. This was a great feature in Langrisser II; if I felt like I screwed up on a promotion choice, I could still branch a character into a different route by next promotion.