ICO & Shadow of the Colossus Collection

Tangerine

I had preordered this. I played through Ico first. After I finish Shadow of the Colossus I'll be writing a review for gamingbus.com

I loved Shadow of the Colossus to death, it's emotional value, amazing musical score and action packed gameplay easily made it my favorite game. However, I still haven't played ICO (Ico?)...

But you know... The only reason they HAVE to remake the two is because the PS3 can't play PS2 games...

I don't think I'll buy this collection-y thing... I already have SotC and I plan on getting ICO/Ico as well as The Last Guardian sometime farther in the future.

I enjoy the games, but I never really buy remakes without new elements...

Sorry 'bout that.

I loved Shadow of the Colossus to death, it's emotional value, amazing musical score and action packed gameplay easily made it my favorite game. However, I still haven't played ICO (Ico?)...

But you know... The only reason they HAVE to remake the two is because the PS3 can't play PS2 games...

I don't think I'll buy this collection-y thing... I already have SotC and I plan on getting ICO/Ico as well as The Last Guardian sometime farther in the future.

I enjoy the games, but I never really buy remakes without new elements...

Sorry 'bout that.

They have several things you cannot get in the originals if you live in NA, I even said it in the post :P. ICO has several new weapons, a 2 player option, graphics changes once you beat the game, immensely improved graphics, a new ending and altered puzzles. Also, Yorda and The Queen's dialogue can actually be read because it is subtitled like Ico's, whereas in the original it could not be. Shadow has improved graphics, 3D support, two new Agro skins, consistent 30 FPS gameplay (no slowdowns that plagued the original), improved difficulty, some Colossus alterations and what appears to be improved AI.

All graphical and performance changes are only in the PS3 versions, as well as Shadow's improved difficulty. All of the other changes cannot be experienced on an unmodded NA PS2. The original ICO costs anywhere from $60-$100 used, the collection costs $40 new and the only thing different between the EU ICO version and PS3 one is that the PS3 version's graphics are a million times better and it costs less.

You also get some neat director interviews, one of which has more info on TLG than any one yet :o. There really is no reason not to get this game if you're missing ICO. And Shadow with the frame rate improvements and graphic upgrades is a very nice bonus. Unless you are a collector and *really* want to dish out that money for PS2 ICO, there is no reason not to pick up the PS3 collection. It's cheaper than a used ICO copy, has all the EU content and comes with an improved Shadow too.

If you will have access to the EU versions the content gap is not so wide, but the collection is still cheaper and better.

I had preordered this. I played through Ico first. After I finish Shadow of the Colossus I'll be writing a review for gamingbus.com

Make sure you link to it here :o! I'd be interested in reading.

Edited by Tangerine