Someone should totally make a FE hack for

someonewhodied

Tolkien is hardly the genre's creator in chronological terms. The Epic of Gilgamesh? People even read that in high school here in the states...The Fairie Queene? Even in Tolkien's own era, The Worm Ouroboros (*swoons over lord gro, the greatest traitor that never lived*) proceeds him by more than a decade. Now if you were to say he transformed the genre, I would be inclined to agree with you. But a transformation of something already extant is not creation.

But dammnit you said basically so none of this really matters.

As for dragonriding by the "good guys," that's been done in Anne McCaffrey, another pretty well known author, so I don't think he even gets originality points there either.

Certainly there were fantasy books before Tolkien, I won't deny it, but Tolkien managed to refine and transform everything that had been done so far to create the modern "generic" fantasy world.

Also yeah, he definitely doesn't get points for the dragon riding, I was just pointing out that that was a difference between him and Tolkien.

Edited by Defeatist Elitist