Internet Blacklist Bills

Life

In case you haven't been paying attention, US Congress and Senate are talking about a couple bills right now. These bills (PROTECT IP Act and Stop Online Piracy) contain the potential for the government to order service providers to completely block websites in order to "stop piracy and copyright fraud". This includes bigname sites like Facebook, Youtube and 4chan to name a few.

Thoughts? Personally, I see good intentions but bad ways to deal with it. For example, a person cannot cover a song and post it onto Youtube anymore without a 5 year sentence if it costs more than $2,500 US to license.

Edited by Kefka

Money=power.

It's was a good idea, but they're just carrying it too far. All we have to do is make another site like youtube and change our ISP addresses.

But seriously -Governments around the world have been trying to control the "bucking bronco" of information known as the internet.

So far it seems like the hearings are not seeing much opposition to SOPA. This is not going to be pretty if it passes, especially if they start shutting big content providers down. Cracking down on piracy shouldn't come at the cost of basically allowing copyright holders (the big ones with money, anyway) to shut down whole content providers first and ask questions later. It's corporate-driven censorship.

@SH You gave me a headache. I require ibuprofen before I can explain all the ways in which your bizarre excuse for an argument doesn't work.

@NM Remind me what country Youtube is based in? Sure, Youtube might be able to move, Facebook might be able to move, etc, if they think they can make enough money to do so off of their non-US userbases... but that's certainly not true for many other content providers that could be affected (a whole lot of which are based in the US.) New content providers will inevitably show up outside the US... and be blocked to US users.

New sites are the most vulnerable, since they don't have the money to challenge the madness of guilty until proven innocent that this allows for. There's no way they could be just replaced like that.

And this stands to accomplish nothing in the first place. It's insanity and unconstitutional.

Intellectual property laws in general are bullshit, so it's pretty much a given that I hate this, though I am in Canada. Unfortunately, our mouth breathing government has decided to do similar shit in recent times.

This sure as hell isn't capitalistic.

What does capitalism have to do with anything?

I also agree that the law is terrible, but currently I'm preaching to the choir, along with everyone else here. Perhaps we should go pick fights with pro-censorship guys.

What does capitalism have to do with anything?

I also agree that the law is terrible, but currently I'm preaching to the choir, along with everyone else here. Perhaps we should go pick fights with pro-censorship guys.

The pro-censorship people aren't too common, despite how much political power they hold. The 1%, if you will. Best way to pick a fight with them may be a petition.

https://wwws.whitehouse.gov/petitions#!/petition/stop-e-parasite-act/SWBYXX55

It's already gotten enough signatures, but more will only help keep it from being ignored. So will this one.

https://wwws.whitehouse.gov/petitions#!/petition/actually-take-these-petitions-seriously-instead-just-using-them-excuse-pretend-you-are-listening/grQ9mNkN

@NM Remind me what country Youtube is based in? Sure, Youtube might be able to move, Facebook might be able to move, etc, if they think they can make enough money to do so off of their non-US userbases... but that's certainly not true for many other content providers that could be affected (a whole lot of which are based in the US.) New content providers will inevitably show up outside the US... and be blocked to US users.

What I was trying to get across was the penalties that Life was talking about (5 years in prison) only applies to those people who are living in the USA (Judging by your post, it would seem that I failed in that regard).

Besides the obvious stupidity of this bill, it would also cost the government even more money, what with all of the trials and new prisoners we'd have to pay for in already overcrowded jails instead of them contributing to society because all they did was sing a popular song and post the video on youtube. I really don't see any good reason for this bill to pass.

Edited by Rewjeo

People tried to do the same thing in Australia; I think they just dropped it in the end. Hopefully the same happens with you guys.

With all the support in Congress and lobbying (despite opposition in the population as a whole), it doesn't sound like it's going to be just dropped. More likely, it'll be implemented, then everything will go to hell until it gets removed sometime within the next year.

President Obama actually mentioned that he was against the bill and would use a veto if it came to his office. However, the numerous petitions are being signed across the internet. I signed one myself. I can only hope this doesn't pass.

The internet backlash has been pretty massive (including protests from major players such as Mozilla) and I've started to see at least a few signs of congresspeople who oppose it. Hopefully in the event that it passes, it at least won't have enough support to override a veto.

Continuing with the internet backlash, if you have a Tumblr, blog, or other homepage, there are a few resources for protesting on your page.

The pro-censorship people aren't too common, despite how much political power they hold. The 1%, if you will. Best way to pick a fight with them may be a petition.

https://wwws.whitehouse.gov/petitions#!/petition/stop-e-parasite-act/SWBYXX55

It's already gotten enough signatures, but more will only help keep it from being ignored. So will this one.

https://wwws.whitehouse.gov/petitions#!/petition/actually-take-these-petitions-seriously-instead-just-using-them-excuse-pretend-you-are-listening/grQ9mNkN

Nah, these petitions won't help at all.

I've already been a part of quite a few, and we always get the same response:

"It's cool that you gave us your thoughts. We'll stick to the status quo, though. It works so well."

They actually lied to us in the legalizing marijuana petition.

The only way to stop this is through powerful protest. Which is not going to happen. So we can all, meaning all Americans, say goodbye to the Internet.

Nah, these petitions won't help at all.

I've already been a part of quite a few, and we always get the same response:

"It's cool that you gave us your thoughts. We'll stick to the status quo, though. It works so well."

They actually lied to us in the legalizing marijuana petition.

The only way to stop this is through powerful protest. Which is not going to happen. So we can all, meaning all Americans, say goodbye to the Internet.

I'm well aware of all of those things when I say this.

Honestly, that mindset is disgusting and only serves to undermine our government's status as a republic. That status is already being damaged by the top; it is the 99% who can and must fix it. The internet is a vital part of ensuring and enabling freedoms, and it has become recognized a vital part of our lives. People will protest if necessary to stop SOPA; people are already protesting lack of economic and political freedoms on Wall Street and everywhere else throughout the Western world, and this is another piece of that whole matter.

I hardly think protests are necessary to stop SOPA, however. If it passes, it will be thrown away not long after the 2012 elections; just as there is bipartisian support for it in the government, there is bipartisian opposition to it both in the government and far stronger bipartisian opposition to it in the people. But if things change so drastically that violence is necessary in order to stop SOPA (again, I strongly doubt that this will become the case), then that violence will occur on whatever scale is necessary, and it will be justified. Free internet is the world's route to freedom, and if the United States does not protect that, neither will other countries.

Edit: Relevant.

Edited by Othin

I'm well aware of all of those things when I say this.

Honestly, that mindset is disgusting and only serves to undermine our government's status as a republic. That status is already being damaged by the top; it is the 99% who can and must fix it. The internet is a vital part of ensuring and enabling freedoms, and it has become recognized a vital part of our lives. People will protest if necessary to stop SOPA; people are already protesting lack of economic and political freedoms on Wall Street and everywhere else throughout the Western world, and this is another piece of that whole matter.

I hardly think protests are necessary to stop SOPA, however. If it passes, it will be thrown away not long after the 2012 elections; just as there is bipartisian support for it in the government, there is bipartisian opposition to it both in the government and far stronger bipartisian opposition to it in the people. But if things change so drastically that violence is necessary in order to stop SOPA (again, I strongly doubt that this will become the case), then that violence will occur on whatever scale is necessary, and it will be justified. Free internet is the world's route to freedom, and if the United States does not protect that, neither will other countries.

Edit: Relevant.

The mindset is not disgusting, it's realistic. EVERY single petition so far (that I've been a part of) has been that way.

I'm not saying we shouldn't fight, because we should, but not there. Not on that piece of shit of a website.

We need to show our strength, or they will constantly push us to a new limit. Even the 99% is clearly not good enough (at least currently). If they attempt to silence us by blocking our freedom of using the Internet, we must show them the harsh consequences (without violence, mind you).

This was a pretty rushed post, so sorry if it's not a thorough response.

• 3 weeks later...

Moving to Canada.

That's it. I'm just ****ing leaving this ****hole nation.

If we do some peaceful petitions, some occupy wallstreet like actions, perhaps hack the **** out of Wallstreet. Maybe.

Gotta agree with the trolls for once.

• 2 weeks later...