Post-undergrad plans

I.M. Gei

im gonna become pope for realz

And then Jeigan bashing will officially be sacrilegious.

Once I'm done with college I'm gonna go fail at being a journalist somewhere in the Bay area. I'm probably taking a year~ off to travel with my girlfriend first, but that's kinda up in the air. In the meantime I'm trying to decide which UC to transfer to, with Berkley, LA, San Diego, and a few of the smaller schools basically off the list. Which means stressing out over rent, how we're gonna move shit, where we can stay that allows her dogs, which school will be best for me/us, etc. Whoo.

And then Jeigan bashing will officially be sacrilegious.

Once I'm done with college I'm gonna go fail at being a journalist somewhere in the Bay area. I'm probably taking a year~ off to travel with my girlfriend first, but that's kinda up in the air. In the meantime I'm trying to decide which UC to transfer to, with Berkley, LA, San Diego, and a few of the smaller schools basically off the list. Which means stressing out over rent, how we're gonna move shit, where we can stay that allows her dogs, which school will be best for me/us, etc. Whoo.

If you're proactive, you can find a nice fellowship to help with some of those worries. In case you didn't know already :):

You can ask the guys in the Japanese and Business departments for help with this. If you somehow end up in my neck of the woods, there's an entire shopping center and then some that always welcomes translators!

I've asked a professor previously, and she suggested the JET program. I'd heard about it earlier, and I thought it looked pretty promising. I'm not sure when to try it, however.

Honestly, doing translation or interpretation sounds amazing to me. Just, I'm afraid I'm going to get beaten out by some native speakers and then have to live with a shitty job the rest of my life, or worse.

I've asked a professor previously, and she suggested the JET program. I'd heard about it earlier, and I thought it looked pretty promising. I'm not sure when to try it, however.

Do your research on JET. It's not that easy to get in, but I heard it's a life-changing experience. If you go this way, good luck!

Honestly, doing translation or interpretation sounds amazing to me. Just, I'm afraid I'm going to get beaten out by some native speakers and then have to live with a shitty job the rest of my life, or worse.

Chin up! I'm confident you'll do fine. Don't give up on this before you've even begun!

Well, a native speaker may not have the same knowledge of your language that you do--and knowing both your own and their language is part of the value of being a translator. You have some worth by coming into it as a non-native.

you also look foreign

Do your research on JET. It's not that easy to get in, but I heard it's a life-changing experience. If you go this way, good luck!

Chin up! I'm confident you'll do fine. Don't give up on this before you've even begun!

I suppose you're right. And I've heard some fairly good things about JET, myself, and same here, I've heard it can be pretty life-changing.

Well, a native speaker may not have the same knowledge of your language that you do--and knowing both your own and their language is part of the value of being a translator. You have some worth by coming into it as a non-native.

I was more speaking of the lucky bastards that are born and grow up native to both languages because their parents speak both. But yeah, I guess that's true.

you also look foreign

Thanks. I...think.

My brother did the JET program, and really enjoyed it as far as I can tell.

I think he said that if you say you know how to drive, you're more likely to be put in one of the outlying provinces with less going on under the assumption you can drive to work. They might fund you getting a car, I'm not sure.

Edited by BlueMartianKitty

• 3 weeks later...

Japanese language and East Asian Studies double major here.

I'll probably do the JET program, as well. It would be nice to get some sort of job translating for a video game company, but it's not incredibly likely. If things with with my current girlfriend go well, her Dad is pretty high up in Microsoft, I can see if he can get me a job, or even just a recommendation for another place. Eventually I will go to grad school to become a professor.

This is all a backup plan if I don't wind up in a famous rock band by the time I'm 25, though. :B):