Top 30 Fire Emblem Characters of ALL TIME Countdown

Mekkah

Apparently if you go into Nightmare, there are options to turn HM bonuses on or off there. Only Ray and Douglas's (and C13 Percy? IDK where this switch is, it's just something I've heard and seen with screenshots) have been turned off for...IDK why.

Millie~<3

• Replies 457
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's sort of depressing that Ray and Douglas don't get them. At least for Ray, it might've made him a little more passable. Douglas is stuck as a General, though. No fix for him.

HM Bonus towards Movement.

Edited by Colonel M

It's sort of depressing that Ray and Douglas don't get them. At least for Ray, it might've made him a little more passable. Douglas is stuck as a General, though. No fix for him.

HM Bonus towards Movement.

SDS provided screens for Ray with HM bonuses and told me what happens to Hugh's stats when he himself gets them. Ray gets very impressive bases, but Hugh already caps magic and possibly speed thanks to those bonuses.

So yeah.

Ohderp, Hugh, forgot about him.

At least those two can still autopromote for some heal staves?

It's 'cuz Mage and Shaman has some really impressive class growths as far as class growths go offensively (Mag department esp.). Especially Mage. offenses of 55/40/35/ translated to 16 chapters worth of bonuses...

Perhap's that's why they made the bonus not so chapter-dependent in FE7.

Edited by Luminescent Blade

Miledy loses 1 AS from Javelins when promoted.

And Dondon calling me a pedant is just a fancy way of conceding he might have been wrong (i.e. you are right but it doesn't matter), so we've both made concessions.

A. don't capitalize my name

B. no it's not. I'm not conceding anything to you. You're making trivial points that serve no purpose but to start an argument.

Edited by dondon151

10. Celice, from FE4

We are entering the top ten of best units of all time, and Celice sticks out as a bit of an oddball. Don't get me wrong, he's good. Sickening growths (140% HP, 55% Str, 60% Skl, 45% Def, though only 35% Spd but who cares he has enough of a base to double half this slugfest of a game), access to swords...all kinds of other great things, but all with an asterisk. He's mounted, but only after promotion. He gets a broken legendary weapon, but only for the tail end of the game. What's so great about Celice?

Well, in a proper efficient playthrough, pretty much everything a unit could want falls in his lap. From the crib, the guy should be holding some strong kind of sword (Hero, Silver, or even Light), Elite Ring, Leg Ring, maybe Knight Ring and some sort of assortment of those insane +5 stat rings: Power, Speed, and Shield being the most important ones. The reason for this is because the limit to Celice's power and movement is the limit to your turn counts. By making Celice more powerful, and more significantly, able to move further, you are directly decreasing your turn count. And that's what we're all here for, right?

If you have Celice run ahead with that Leg Ringed (Rung?) 9 mov of his, he'll eat up Ch6's EXP and convert it into a horse that allows you to seize faster in every subsequent map. The added combat parameters almost seem like an afterthought compared to how important it is to gain 3 mov and the ability to move after attacking, but they're obviously not. If Celice promotes in Ch7 he'll be strong enough to take on almost any flock of enemies on his own. I believe the fastest playthroughs of FE4 involve Celice and maybe a certain few other units helping out crushing everything in his way to get him where he wants to be.

When Celice gets Tyrfing, shit gets real. While his Res was always acceptable for a melee unit, the Tyrfing makes him completely immune to almost any magic assault with its +20 Res. +10 Skl helps him get more accuracy on difficult bosses, and of course +10 Spd is always welcome for numerous reasons. Prayer on top of that +40 stat bonus is just icing on the ridiculouscake. Before Tyrfing, Celice actually needs some help from 50+ kill weapons to get ORKOs on numerous bosses. I wonder who could help him get some kills on those swords...

Edited by Mekkah

I thought Tyrfing's just 20Res/10Spd. No Skl bonus.

Doesn't change that Celice is awesome, but w/e

10 Skl, 10 Spd, 20 Res. No question about it.

Mekkah, not sure what you mean about 9 Move being more than Oifaye. Oifaye is a Paladin, FE4 Paladins have 9 Move. Do you just mean that he has the same Move but without the terrain penalties? Lack of Canto sounds about as significant, especially with Ch6 having not much in the way of terrain in the main path, which is about as long as Celice should stay on foot.

Edited by Othin

your writeup of celice makes him sound pretty unimpressive and not one deserving the #10 spot. It would help if you explained why he deserves all that help so he gets the +move earlier and not over someone already mounted.

Edited by smash fanatic

His summary is "your completion of Chapter 6 depends on his strenght/movement so pump all your resources into him. Then he rapes every chapter afterwards like his father did in the first gen."

Sigurd's going to be ranked higher.

Miledy loses 1 AS from Javelins when promoted.

That's why I give her the body ring. If you aren't playing 0% growths, Echidna isn't so important that you can't give the ring to Miledy instead. This also helps her avoid any AS loss from javelins even before promo. And how many units have 10 or 9 con anyway? Some unpromoted cavs that you wouldn't be using anymore anyway, Wendy before promo, Zeis before promo, Karel, Dayan, Echidna (who is the other most likely user of body ring and thus would have 11 and not be carriable by Miledy anyway). And I'll note that Alance has 9 con instead of 10 and thus even with the body ring unpromoted Miledy can carry unpromoted Alance anyway.

your writeup of celice makes him sound pretty unimpressive and not one deserving the #10 spot. It would help if you explained why he deserves all that help so he gets the +move earlier and not over someone already mounted.

He did explain.

The reason for this is because the limit to Celice's power and movement is the limit to your turn counts. By making Celice more powerful, and more significantly, able to move further, you are directly decreasing your turn count. And that's what we're all here for, right?

Or did he need to spell it out further by pointing out how you have to seize every single castle along the way and only Celice can seize? Anyone that has played even a little bit of fe4 would know that, so Mekkah probably thought it unecessary to point out.

While being the only one capable of seizing would help, simply because celice lowers your turn count if dumped various resources doesn't necessarily mean he's more efficient than some of the people he's above like miledy.

The trouble is that in order to be even mildly efficient in fe4 gen2, Celice needs elite, leg ring, and a really good sword. Up until he promotes, Elite and Leg ring are practically part of his character. However, I'll grant that it seems a bit weird to have him above Miledy. Even with all the resources in the world I found him underwhelming defensively in chapter 6. I didn't feel safe moving him his full move until I was two thirds done since his durability sucks at first. I'll leave the defence up to others beyond the answer to your original problem, "if you explained why he deserves all that help so he gets the +move earlier and not over someone already mounted". The answer to that problem was easy, seizing. The answer to your newest problem is far from it.

Edited by Narga_Rocks

The trouble is that in order to be even mildly efficient in fe4 gen2, Celice needs elite, leg ring, and a really good sword. Up until he promotes, Elite and Leg ring are practically part of his character. However, I'll grant that it seems a bit weird to have him above Miledy. Even with all the resources in the world I found him underwhelming defensively in chapter 6. I didn't feel safe moving him his full move until I was two thirds done since his durability sucks at first. I'll leave the defence up to others beyond the answer to your original problem, "if you explained why he deserves all that help so he gets the +move earlier and not over someone already mounted". The answer to that problem was easy, seizing. The answer to your newest problem is far from it.

I'm no FE4 expert, so excuse me if I'm just totally misinformed. That said, I gave Celice a defense ring to go with elite, knight, and leg. Plus, he inherits the 50 kill Silver Sword from Sigurd. That's a ton of stuff, I know, but in C6 it lets him dominate, get to lvl 20, and the resources aren't too useful on any one else in that chapter imo. His durability was fine for me, but maybe I was just lucky.

I'm no FE4 expert, so excuse me if I'm just totally misinformed. That said, I gave Celice a defense ring to go with elite, knight, and leg. Plus, he inherits the 50 kill Silver Sword from Sigurd. That's a ton of stuff, I know, but in C6 it lets him dominate, get to lvl 20, and the resources aren't too useful on any one else in that chapter imo. His durability was fine for me, but maybe I was just lucky.

I just don't like counting on a bunch of 10 to 30 % hit rates. I'll admit to not giving him the defence ring yet, so maybe that'll help. But he's still looking at getting 3HKOd by everything instead of 2HKOd, right? That's bad, imo (with the massive swarms of enemies this game sends at you). I don't feel like rolling the dice every turn there are enemies nearby. This is a one RN game, which just makes matters worse.

I just don't like counting on a bunch of 10 to 30 % hit rates. I'll admit to not giving him the defence ring yet, so maybe that'll help. But he's still looking at getting 3HKOd by everything instead of 2HKOd, right? That's bad, imo (with the massive swarms of enemies this game sends at you). I don't feel like rolling the dice every turn there are enemies nearby. This is a one RN game, which just makes matters worse.

You're probably right. I've only played through twice, and one issue I had with FE4 was the single RN. I was basically using him as a dodge tank, as you might in a game where you had 10-30% hit rates. I probably just got lucky enough to avoid death, as I remember being pretty reckless, and 3HKO'd at 30% sounds pretty meh to me.

BUT IF YOU JUST GET REALLY LUCKY FOR A FIFTH OF THE MAP HE'S INVINCIBLE.

Celice has some issues on the way to the first castle in first gen, but from there he should usually be safe. Compare it to Miledy, who is completely unavailable for the first 12 chapters (plus gaidens), Celice looks mighty impressive, capable of carrying almost the entire Gen 2 on his own if needed.

-33% of turns taken in Ch6, -25% of turns taken for the entire rest of the game. Including the time while that stuff's on Sigurd as he waits to pass it down.

Personally, I never had any problems with Celice surviving Ch6 on my Sigurd/Celice solo. Can't remember what rings I used though, if any. I know he had Elite, Leg, I think Speed and Arm, and a couple of swords; probably not the Defense Ring. Might have just gotten lucky, though.

9. Shiida, from FE11

Poor Shiida was stuck as a Mage for the longest time, with her 6 mov unable to keep up, even with her beloved Marthipan. Her Wing Spear lied useless in the storage, and our assault on the thrones was lead by fellow movement champ Sedgar. But one day, it all changed. Turn counts took a nose dive, and it was all thanks to a practical lesson in opportunity cost, and what's to gain from paying it. I'd always had some kind of sneaking suspicion about it, since Shiida had helped me in nearly every gimmicky playthrough of FE11 I've always wanted to do by Wing Spearing random threats with her high movement and flexibility, but now, everyone is aware of how good Shiida is.

The key to what makes Shiida so good is by abusing the 3x effective weapon multiplier in combination with the ability to forge those effective weapons. Every point of Mt you forge on it comes back tripled, and I think the armory guy knows, considering how much he charges for it. But it's okay, we get a TON of cash this game for stopping by random villages. And by forging +4 or even +5 mt on the Win Spear, we essentially double its number of uses because it suddenly starts OHKOing enemies it would otherwise have 2HKO'd.

This has the pleasant side effect of allowing Shiida to avoid a counter from all these crazy strong enemies she will be massacring. A great example of where this utility comes into play is right after you first forged that Win Spear: Ch4. There's a horde of around 5 Cavaliers headed for you, one of them named Matthis. With Shiida, you can place her on the edge of their movement range on turn 2 with the Win Spear equipped, and she'll get rid of one. Now she can fly closer to your group, use a Vulnerary, and pick off a second one. Then on the next player phase, you can have her kill a THIRD one if needed without risk, and the rest of your group can take care of the stragglers.

Of course, dealing with enemy swarms is almost a thing of the past now in FE11. Most chapters in the mid/late game actually get finished in one or two turns thanks to the insanely broken infinite range Warp. This negatively impacts pretty much every unit in FE11...but not Shiida! In fact, it's thanks to her and that Win Spear that we are able to do this. You see, it isn't just effective on generic Knights and Cavaliers, but also all those Knight and General bosses. Even when those are replaced by Manakete, Shiida can easily reclass to Swordmaster for C Swords, and use a (forged) Wyrmslayer to do the job just as easily.

Even if you don't Warpskip, Shiida remains one of your MVPs for easily removing any mounted/armored enemy, including almost every boss, with so much ease that you'd wonder why H5 was ever considered difficult to begin with. She cap rams her Spd like crazy, and profits enormously from her promotion (hopefully with the first Master Seal), as it gives her +4HP, +4 Str, and +5 Def to work with, as well as the ability to use some lower rank axes for an even better position in the weapon triangle.

Now go read that LP.

Edited by Mekkah