Top Posters In This Topic

• ZemZem

• Breezy Kanzaki

• Ein

• Caster

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi LtP. I didn't feel like being on SF yesterday. ^^;

Especially Gordin.

The future is a scary thing, even more so at this early stage of life.

That's a big question.

My true answer is that I hope to achieve my fate. That's really a non-answer, because it means: 'I hope that I will achieve in life that which I will achieve in life.' But it's an important part of my life philosophy.

My superficial answer (superficial as in: 'not my true answer') is that I hope to be able to make worthwhile contributions to society. I hope that my actions may have a positive influence on the lives of others in the present and in the future.

Hmm, I think that's a bit arbitrary, for several reasons, though it makes sense from a practical point of view. From a legal point of view, I think the fall of the Roman Empire can only be dated 1453, with the fall of Constantinople.

Yeah, I feel the same way. We did do some Chinese history in high school, but that lasted only a month. It was barely anything.

In the narrowest sense, 2; in the broadest sense, 8. My native language is Dutch and I'm fluent at English. I'm quite good at German and French. Then there's Latin... I can translate it well, and I can also read and write it to a certain extent, but my oral skills are awful. My Ancient Greek is even worse, but I can translate it alright. I know some Quenya words and grammar, but it's been a long time since I've done anything with that. I'm trying to learn Japanese, but my studying is progressing really slowly.

Fate, huh? Does that mean that you believe in supernatural forces beyond people's control or that you just like going with the flow or something else?

Huh, that makes sense, but I personally believe that the divide between the eastern and western halves led to the Byzantine half evolving into something that's not quite the Roman Empire and deserving of its own identity. Of course, that is just my opinion.

Holy...You're quite talented with languages, aren't you? Out of all of those, which one would you say you find most interesting?

Fate, huh? Does that mean that you believe in supernatural forces beyond people's control or that you just like going with the flow or something else?

Huh, that makes sense, but I personally believe that the divide between the eastern and western halves led to the Byzantine half evolving into something that's not quite the Roman Empire and deserving of its own identity. Of course, that is just my opinion.

Holy...You're quite talented with languages, aren't you? Out of all of those, which one would you say you find most interesting?

Hmm, I don't believe in supernatural forces actively influencing what happens. But I believe that every event is a natural and inevitable consequence of uncountable factors that preceded it, which means that everything that happens is predetermined.

I believe the name 'Byzantine' is deceiving; the people of the 'Byzantine' Empire very much considered themselves Romans and held their historical heritage in high regard, even after they lost control over Rome in the 8th century. For example, when the pope crowned Charlemagne Holy Roman Emperor in 800, he didn't just do so as a sign of thanks to him; it was an attempt to spite the real Roman Emperor - and he indeed took it as a grave insult.

Languages are a real passion of mine, yes. I love them all though, I can't just pick one. I've got to thank Latin though for introducing me to linguistics, which is another passion of mine.

Edit: Darn it, I messed up formatting. Don't ask me how because I have got no idea.

Hmm, I don't believe in supernatural forces actively influencing what happens. But I believe that every event is a natural and inevitable consequence of uncountable factors that preceded it, which means that everything that happens is predetermined.

I believe the name 'Byzantine' is deceiving; the people of the 'Byzantine' Empire very much considered themselves Romans and held their historical heritage in high regard, even after they lost control over Rome in the 8th century. For example, when the pope crowned Charlemagne Holy Roman Emperor in 800, he didn't just do so as a sign of thanks to him; it was an attempt to spite the real Roman Emperor - and he indeed took it as a grave insult.

Languages are a real passion of mine, yes. I love them all though, I can't just pick one. I've got to thank Latin though for introducing me to linguistics, which is another passion of mine.

That...reminds me of Calvinism, actually. Do you believe that people have no power to control their own lives then or am I misunderstanding you here?

Ah, okay, I get that. So do you believe that the "Byzantine" Empire was actually the true Roman Empire then? I remember when my professor was talking about how the west (I forgot kingdom names and I can't find my notebook) and the east were pretty much battling over who gets to call themselves the Roman Empire and my friend said "The west is German and the east is Greek; neither of them are Roman!".

Okay then, which one did you find the...say, most difficult to understand the rules of? And ooo, which area of linguistics are you most interested in?

Sorry for these unbelievably tardy replies. I really can't multitask. x.x;

Hi Crizzie I totally haven't seen you at all today

Hiya. ^^;

Edited by Crizix

That...reminds me of Calvinism, actually. Do you believe that people have no power to control their own lives then or am I misunderstanding you here?

Ah, okay, I get that. So do you believe that the "Byzantine" Empire was actually the true Roman Empire then? I remember when my professor was talking about how the west (I forgot kingdom names and I can't find my notebook) and the east were pretty much battling over who gets to call themselves the Roman Empire and my friend said "The west is German and the east is Greek; neither of them are Roman!".

Okay then, which one did you find the...say, most difficult to understand the rules of? And ooo, which area of linguistics are you most interested in?

Sorry for these unbelievably tardy replies. I really can't multitask. x.x;

It reminds me of Calvinism too. On a superficial level, people have control over their own lives, through their actions. But on a true level, people have no control over their own lives: their actions are determined by heteronomous factors (even the thinking process that brought about the action is ultimately heteronomous, as our thinking process is determined by our genes and our environment, neither of which are under our control).

I believe that there is no breaking point that can be held to be 'the fall of the Roman Empire,' at least from the point of view of constitutional law.

We could take the split into the Western Parts and the Eastern Parts after emperor Theodosius I, but the empire was still a whole: multiple government institutions (such as magistrates, laws) were still nationwide; the emperors were not just rulers of different parts of the empire, they were co-emperors of the empire as a whole - in fact, when one emperor died, the other took over rule over the entire empire until the inauguration of a new co-emperor. The split was undone entirely in 480.

We could take the fall of Rome in 476. But the defeated Roman emperor was not the legitimate Emperor of the Western Parts, he was a usurper whose reign was not recognized outside Italy. In fact, the 'barbarians' who conquered Rome actually restored legitimate Roman order there.

The empire may have changed a lot culturally over the many centuries, but it never fell. Even when it had lost all its Italian possessions it still technically was the Roman Empire. Its culture became much more Greek over those centuries, but it still had its Roman heritage to build on. The Holy Roman Empire was only Roman insofar that its emperor was crowned by the Pope, who was the ruler of Rome.

The rules, huh? I don't know. Dutch is my native language, so I do most by feeling rather than rules. The same goes for English, which has become like a second native language to me. I think I'll go with Japanese because it's not an Indo-European language, so its grammar and vocabulary are quite different from the other languages I know.

I know the most about grammar, I think. It's because grammar is what got me into linguistics. What I'm interested in the most... that's hard to say.

It's fine. I often check SF only once or twice day, so you could get plenty of tardy replies from me too.

It reminds me of Calvinism too. On a superficial level, people have control over their own lives, through their actions. But on a true level, people have no control over their own lives: their actions are determined by heteronomous factors (even the thinking process that brought about the action is ultimately heteronomous, as our thinking process is determined by our genes and our environment, neither of which are under our control).

So in other words, the action of myself reading the absolute drivel that you just posted was pre-determined, and not an active decision on my part?

That's good to know.

Edited by NinjaMonkey