The Last To Post Wins!

Darros

What usually holds people back from changing their mindsets is a sort of fear. It's not an actual emotional fear, like a fear of death or something, but you're held back because it's too hard (in a way, too scary) to cast what you have aside and replace it with something new.

Even when you know that what you have is bad, you're afraid of casting it aside - the reason is simple: you're familiar with what you have, but you're not familiar with what you could replace it with. You need to find a new mindset, but you have no idea if it's going to work or even where to look. After all, how do you decide what your new mindset should be? Well, you'd have to make decisions. Where do your decisions come from? From your mindset. So the only way to get into a new mindset is by making decisions in your old mindset. That already greatly hinders your options.

I hope this wasn't too vague (I could give examples if that would make things clearer). I don't know if it's like this for you, but this is true for most people struggling with mindset issues.

I very much agree with this assessment.

Edited by Motendra

• Replies 180.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ZemZem

• Breezy Kanzaki

• Ein

• Caster

Top Posters In This Topic

From The Return of the Shadow (the sixth volume of The History of Middle-earth):

"When my father came to the scene where Bingo sings a song in The Prancing Pony he first used the 'Troll Song' [...] My father was extremely fond of this song, which went to the tune of The fox went out on a winter's night, and my delight in the line If bonfire there be, 'tis underneath is among my very early recollections."

Christopher Tolkien is cute! Cute!!