• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ZemZem

• Breezy Kanzaki

• Ein

• Caster

Top Posters In This Topic

part 1 is just another german medieval puppet show, part 2 TRANSCENDS

part 2 is disjointed with its storytelling and has less banter between mephisto and faust, terrible, the sequel completely changed the formula

all of mephisto's lines are glorious, especially when he's talking with faust

they're like a pair of cops, good cop and bad cop

unfortunately (or fortunately), part 2 goes from depicting the lives of just a few characters to introducing a story on a wider scale

overall, part 2 needs an editor (or maybe it's TOO DEEP for me. idk, i just enjoyed part 1's dialogue much more)

so part 2 is an acquired taste for true intellectuals... it's the dark souls of literature, basically?

ya it really helps if you know the references in it, because some of the stuff in part 2 gets really obscure (especially some of the greek). i found the homunculus sideplot to be just "okay" myself - i get the meaning, but the words aren't clicking with me. maybe i do need to reread it again to "get it", the entire thing.

makes me wonder what goethe was trying to achieve when writing this though.

what did he mean by this?

yeah, faust I and II had incredibly different tones. sad that he died before he got to completely finish it up, but i don't think he'd finish it even if he lived 100 years

because it really does feel like an autobiography at times, or less of a play and more of an essay with characters attached to ideas (really apparent in the greek parts, but i think that's the point lol)

you need to enjoy the philosophy if you want to enjoy part ii

maybe when i'm a little older i'll reread this and probably get something out of it