Rate the Unit, Day 38: Jaffar

Thor Odinson

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

...Which is when you get Jaffar anyways. I don't see what the problem is.

you get Jaffar on chapter 28x, with final chapters I mean chapter F(33), and maybe 32/32x. that's still 4 chapters of fail, he's near worthless without his killing edge.

I always tend to use only a few units to wipe out maps, you don't get enough killing edges for him to wipe out maps with it.

you get Jaffar on chapter 28x, with final chapters I mean chapter F(33), and maybe 32/32x. that's still 4 chapters of fail, he's near worthless without his killing edge.

I always tend to use only a few units to wipe out maps, you don't get enough killing edges for him to wipe out maps with it.

But you can buy Killing Edges! How much combat do you expect Jaffar to be in, anyways? He doesn't even have a horse, after all.

Edited by Refa

Well, it's Hector mode only and it requires you to beat 32 in 20 turns or less.

And short of warpskipping or rescuing, I'm not sure how feasible that is, with Hector's 5 move...

Edited by Metal King Slime

And short of warpskipping or rescuing, I'm not sure how feasible that is... Especially since two of the three routes have you go through a mass of forests near the end.

You don't really need to go through the top. I used Vaida and Heath to grab Renault through rescuedropping (well, mostly Heath to rescue thanks to the shitty female mounted rescue formula and Vaida just killed shit) and Physicspamming. It can be replicated with any 1-2 trained fliers, really.

Warp is not necessary to beat it in 20 turns, and you should have a few fliers on hand that rescuedropping or just kill her with fliers shouldn't be a problem. If you didn't train ANY the game at least throws you Vaida and you can probably Barrier/Water + Ninis Grace her if you're so worried about Limmy's mag. Giving the Boots to Hector also helps. I don't actually play efficiently in FE7 most of the time, but I still found it very doable.

Edited by Luminescent Blade

You don't really need to go through the top. I used Vaida and Heath to grab Renault through rescuedropping (well, mostly Heath to rescue thanks to the shitty female mounted rescue formula and Vaida just killed shit) and Physicspamming. It can be replicated with any 1-2 trained fliers, really.

Warp is not necessary to beat it in 20 turns, and you should have a few fliers on hand that rescuedropping or just kill her with fliers shouldn't be a problem. If you didn't train ANY the game at least throws you Vaida and you can probably Barrier/Water + Ninis Grace her if you're so worried about Limmy's mag. Giving the Boots to Hector also helps. I don't actually play efficiently in FE7 most of the time, but I still found it very doable.

Well, having to rush is something I'm not exactly accustomed to since I'm more a defensive player unless it's necessary (like in Battle before Dawn). Well, that, and I don't feel it's really worth the trouble anyway...

I guess all those reinforcements gives massive exp to make up, which is nice for casual play. Ranked assumes every chapter except 19xx, and I don't know how much tactics rank buffer you'd have then, but probably not enough to chill there for like 30 or so turns.

I guess all those reinforcements gives massive exp to make up, which is nice for casual play. Ranked assumes every chapter except 19xx, and I don't know how much tactics rank buffer you'd have then, but probably not enough to chill there for like 30 or so turns.

I assume you're talking about VoD's reinforcements. Also, I don't really feel as if I'm missing out on much if I fail to get the chance to go to 32x. And I hate getting waylaid by reinforcements... from behind - it drives me into a state of panic (or at the least, gets to be an inconvenience).

VoD reinforcements indeed. They're...pretty easy anyway, IMO. 32x only has Zerks and Kishuna as far as I've played so besides those swordslayer guys (Lancereaver or Hector gogo) they shouldn't be much of an issue.

Edited by Luminescent Blade

VoD reinforcements indeed. They're...pretty easy anyway, IMO. 32x only has Zerks and Kishuna as far as I've played so besides those swordslayer guys (Lancereaver or Hector gogo) they shouldn't be much of an issue.

Kinda figured. IMHO, 32x just doesn't have anything of value that makes me think it's worth rushing through VoD, anyhow.

Jaffar... is a lot better than people give him credit for. He's got great stats and has Silencer. With him around, there's no need to promote Matthew or Legault. His recruitment isn't the best (but it is doable, the RNG is a bitch though).

He can destroy nearly anything with a Killing Edge, and he's really the best candidate for it. I don't remember if FE7!Assassins can use the Wo Dao, but if they can, well, that's awesome.

His HP leaves a lot to be desired, but the fact that he kills... everything overrides that.

9.5/10

A nice late game pre-promote, though not as good as Harken or Raven by that time, his stats(19 Str and 15 Def for a Sword User who's going to be doubling everything and has nice evade(though 34 HP is a bit lacking) is quite impressive. He comes at a high level but since Assassins get the same EXP bonus thieves Valkyries and Female Bishops get(along with 1.8x for when Silencer activates) he can gain a few levels quite easily(which mostly just adds a bit of survivability to him based on his growths).

6/10

Edited by arvilino

Factoring in the join time, there are many units that will be as good as him statistically, however he does have great utility in the form of Lockpicks, and if you haven't bothered promoting Matthew or Legault, he is undoubtedly the best unit to replace them to go chest and door opening for the remainder of the game. His Combat is pretty good too. Can't really give him a higher score than Harken though, so

Raven's rating: 60%

Am I the only one who saves the light brand for Jaffar?

Ehhh, if only the Light Brand didn't suck... it's pathetic at 2 range (hint: half strength at range + weapon Mt, more often than not, won't be very impresive). That aside, sometimes I don't even get it at all (one copy requires you to go to Jerme's map - I much prefer Kenneth's map - and the other is in the desert).

Personally I go to all the gaidens, as they are all pretty productive (with the exception of 19xx, but even that helps with funds on a ranked run).

But yeah, people who are tight for tactics won't be going to 32x, so they certainly aren't assumed.