Rate the Unit, Day 7: Ross

He's the best of the Trainees, alright.

Still has some of the worst bases of his jointime. Luckily for him, he's still usable as the enemies don't oneshot him like they do with Amelia and Ewan, and Hatchet (though better used by Garcia) does work for his con. Axes are nice in general.

He's not completely terrible and can actually use his potential due to availability, but he's not great either. Also starts with 4 move. That's not very cool. :<

4/10.

Edited by Luminescent Blade

The first few chapters are small enough that he can get plenty of experience to hit lv. 10/1 with relative ease, even on HM. I often have little problem getting him promoted by chapter 8, and by then, he has 5 mov, like the rest of the non mounts (bar Colm and Gilliam).

Ross is the first of the trainee units you get, showing up in chapter 2, and that actually makes him a bit more salvageable than the other two. He is so low-leveled that merely hitting something with a hatchet is enough to give him 1/3 of a level-up. Killing something probably will give him a level-up. You can get him to 10/1 without the tower, if you use him enough.

However, he is still a trainee with rather garbage starting stats. That 3 speed, especially, rather hurts and I don't think his growth for speed is good either (if I'm not wrong, his speed growth is 30%). That base speed is on par with FE7 Bartre, and Ross doesn't even have the advantage of having lots of HP to compensate. He's very frail, and you have to shield him for a while.

4/10, because leveling him up is a reasonable task and you don't need to go out of your way to the Tower to do so. But he still has his problems, and some of those problems are major enough to dock him big.

The best of the Trainees if only since he actually joins when the enemies are still somewhat weaker than he is. That Hatchet is amazingly helpful early on, but his poor bases and stat growths still render him okay at best.

5/10, being generous here.

(if Amelia isn't ranked worst in the game, I will be disappointed in you guys)

The first few chapters are small enough that he can get plenty of experience to hit lv. 10/1 with relative ease, even on HM. I often have little problem getting him promoted by chapter 8, and by then, he has 5 mov, like the rest of the non mounts (bar Colm and Gilliam).

That's 10/1 when Franz is likely promoting on Sethless runs aka first knight crest. Not exactly a great place to be a Lv1 T1.

Edited by Luminescent Blade

Hmm ... I realized just now that while Amelia and Ewan show up significantly later than Ross and, therefore, are much harder to train without the Tower, Ross never has the potential to gain a mount. Amelia can become a paladin or a great knight, and Ewan can become a mage knight. But all of Ross' final promotions are ground units.

Ross is this kid who doesnt want to afraid of anything when he grows up. Hes super puny at first but can become all interesting later.

Pros:

Loads of growth potential.

Hard hitter. (even a wee bit early on.)

Comes early enough to actually like, train without abuse.

Can become a 'Zerker.

Cons:

Super puny start.

Speed issues.

Axe lock.

Takes a while to train.

Ross isnt bad. Perhaps hes the best out of the three leetle baby units. But he can be a pain to train.

5.5/10 (Bias rating: i kinda like using him and Zerking it up. 7/10)

When is axe lock bad?

I think people on the FE6 tier list said that being axe-locked is bad when you have terrible skill growth and have shaky hit rates. I didn't look at Ross' skill growth, and I don't know it off the top of my head, so I can't say for sure whether Ross has a skill problem. But being at WTD against swordsmen, who are usually fast and highly accurate compared to most enemies (and axes have the least hit out of all physical weapons, right?) when you start as a level 1 trainee isn't exactly a good thing, I suppose.

Mind you, this is just what I'm assuming.

Has a lot of potential, but he needs a lot of love to get there, though it's not too bad, since can hit first tier fairly quickly because of fast exp gain. From there, the worst is over, but the shaky start does hurt.

4/10

3/10

Ross has a terrible start, and he takes a while to grow out of it. Nine extra levels of growth and an additional set of promotion gains don't make much of a difference when you start out so bad and don't grow especially well.