Is Wendy or Amelia Better?

Randoman

Yeah, seeing how people regard them as the two worst units in FE history (and I was inspired to make this by Rate the Unit: Day 19), I wanted to make this thread to see what people think, without having to derail other threads to do so.

Also, this is without considering items brought in by the units or being able to help break walls (so no Speedwing argument for Amelia or wall breaking for Wendy). Only what the character themselves can do is considered.

Also here are their bases and growths, respectively.

Name 	Lv  Class    HP  Str  Skl  Spd  Lck  Def  Res  Mov  Con  
Wendy    1  Knight   19    4    3    3    6   8   1	4  10  
Amelia   1  Recruit  16    4    3    4    6   2   3	4   6

Name    HP  Str  Skl  Spd  Lck  Def  Res  
Wendy    85   40   40   40   45   30   10  
Amelia    60   35   40   40   50   30   15 

Personally, I think Amelia is better, even despite the stat comparisons saying otherwise.[

Both of them will have an insanely hard time getting kills (and surviving chips unless done by Javelins), but Amelia grows much faster from them than Wendy (33 EXP from just hitting an enemy). Plus, FE8 generally has higher hit rates than FE6, so feeding Amelia EXP is much easier than feeding EXP to Wendy. Also, Amelia's period of "suck" (as most people call it) is a lot shorter than Wendy's, especially since Amelia can get a mount to fix quite a few of her problems (like movement and lance lock, and her first promotion doesn't use an item). After her first promotion (which will likely be a cavalier since people favour LTC so much), she can get a mount which gives her rescuing utility. Sure, you get quite a few cavaliers in FE8, but it's not like Wendy can offer any utility, even after promotion. Also, I've always been a fan of the trainee's versatility, so that also helps Amelia's case. Sure, Amelia won't likely reach her second promotion in efficient play, but she'll at least be able to help in chipping and rescue chains as a cavalier, at best. Other units can do that in FE8, yes, but Wendy will have a much harder time making contributions to the team as a Knight.

I know, most of you don't like talking about how one bad unit is better than another. Still, I found it interesting that some people found Amelia worse than Wendy, so I'm wanting input on the issue.

Edited by Randoman

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's see...

Is Wendy Old Marcus? Nope.

Is Amelia God, i.e Seth? Nope.

So both are just as useless.

Let us rejoice my friends! I have solved the problem plaguing FE players for as long as we've already figured this out!

I don't think Amelia is that bad. Yeah, she's pretty bad, but one of the worst two units in the series? I'd call Ardan, Wendy, Sophia, and Lyre worse than her in a heartbeat. There might be more.

So Amelia is better.

I don't think Amelia is that bad. Yeah, she's pretty bad, but one of the worst two units in the series? I'd call Ardan, Wendy, Sophia, and Lyre worse than her in a heartbeat. There might be more.

So Amelia is better.

I pretty much agree with this. Hell, there's no reasonable way to train Wendy at all!

Edited by Metal King Slime

I pretty much agree with this. Hell, there's no reasonable way to train Wendy at all!

Well, when Amelia's best method of leveling up is doing 1 damage off javalin chips then I don't think you can really call her training reasonable either.

Well, when Amelia's best method of leveling up is doing 1 damage off javalin chips then I don't think you can really call her training reasonable either.

What? If you really wanted to use her, wouldn't you raise her at the Tower until she at least promotes?

Amelia is abysmal and the worst character in her game without a doubt, but at least she has the option of Tower abuse. Wendy has no good way to become usable.

What? If you really wanted to use her, wouldn't you raise her at the Tower until she at least promotes?

Oh, duh, forgot the Tower even existed. Knew I was overlooking something.

Edit: Valni 1 enemies are all lvl 6-7 revenents with 0 AS? Oh yeah, she'll hit tier 1 in no time at all.

Edited by tiff

So Amelia is better.

Arr. Amelia isnt the worst in the series. You can get Amelia to places if you so choose. Those other guys? Not so much. I remember when i tried my run in FE6. I got Wendy and i was all "oh coooooool! Female knight! Maybe she'll Oswin shit up!" So i tried to use her and....yeah...Sophia was just as bad. I tried to use her in her joining chapter and she kept getting sleep staffed and shit. I was all "Yeah thanks for trolling me, game... emot-suicide.gif" Amelia is total crap if you avoid Tower and junk but still...She can get places.

Amelia is debatably not even the worst in her game. Comparing her to Wendy is silly.

I also agree with this. I find Knoll to be the worst in that game.

Well at the very least Knoll can instant-promote and summon for utility. Amelia can't claim that she does anything useful.

I was thinking more along the lines of Ewan for being about equal in uselessness and showing up even later. (I guess you could hypothetically make him a Summoner too but Knoll does the same job with less effort)

Well at the very least Knoll can instant-promote and summon for utility. Amelia can't claim that she does anything useful.

I was thinking more along the lines of Ewan for being about equal in uselessness and showing up even later. (I guess you could hypothetically make him a Summoner too but Knoll does the same job with less effort)

I never did get why people say :Knoll: is useless.

He has decent chip damage, staff utility, and summons at his disposal and I always thought we liked staff bots that can do more than just staffbot. :Knoll:

I think he comes with his own promotion item which is also good. Who doesn't like free promotion items? :Knoll:

Ewan and Amelia got nothing going for them except being adorable in them crazy playthroughs peeps here prefer but they having a dragon shield/speedwing respectively. :Knoll:

So Amelia is better.

Ardan at least can attack a couple guys in the Prologue and Chapter 1. ^_^

Amelia at level 10/1 can go Cavalier and become a rescue-bot; Wendy can't do anything.

I never did get why people say :Knoll: is useless.

He has decent chip damage, staff utility, and summons at his disposal and I always thought we liked staff bots that can do more than just staffbot. :Knoll:

I think he comes with his own promotion item which is also good. Who doesn't like free promotion items? :Knoll:

Ewan and Amelia got nothing going for them except being adorable in them crazy playthroughs peeps here prefer but they having a dragon shield/speedwing respectively. :Knoll:

Agreed.

Also, he doesn't come with his own promotion item, but the chapter where (or after) you get him does.

Edited by Metal King Slime

Ewan at least has decent ranged attacks; Amelia only has Javelins. Knoll not only has ranged attacks, but ranged attacks that can actually hurt things instead of just grabbing Exp, and he can promote immediately for utility. He has issues, but he's nowhere near as bad as Amelia or Ewan.

Edited by Othin

Yeah but...Knoll just isnt very good at all that. At least not in my opinion. (and i found very little use for summons outside Creature Campaign) He IS pretty ok as a staffbot but eh...Putting him in battle is a bad idea. That gaping hole where Luck should be means he isnt dodging things and is getting critted all over the place. I think he sucks.

Ewan.....probably sucks worse than Knoll. Yeah ok...maybe Ewan is the worst the game.... You win this round! :P

(EDIT: But srsly guys...who is gonna use that Master Seal on Knoll? emot-monocle.gif)

Edited by Florina

I think Amelia is the worst of the two, because she's so bad she's negative utility. You actually have to recruit her (avoiding her suicidal tendencies, anything that looks at her kills her) on both routes, and she's not even worth it (Ewan recruits himself on one route, and isn't a pain on the other). Wendy at least joins on her own.