So I just got a YouTube strike from a video I uploaded nearly 3 years ago.

Raven

It was Part 4 of my Final chapter of HHM Pre-promotes run, and it had a song playing over the footage which was apparently owned by Sony Music Entertainment Japan.

My video was removed, and I received my second strike.

For the life of me I don't see why they simply did not delete my video's audio, as they have done with one or two of my other FE gameplay videos in the past. And why the fuck did it take them nearly three years to do something about it? All was well up to now.

So yeah, that recording's lost forever unless it gets restored, because all the original recording of that run was stored on my old laptop, which I no longer have.

Fuck YouTube. [/rant]

Probably somebody filed a complaint after seeing it recently. Unless its not a matter of complaints/people tattletaling for using a song.

Copyright holders will even request the removal of shit even if the video is popular enough that it ends up being a way for people to discover the existence of a good song/game/etc they'd be willing to pay for. In some cases, I'll bet the video's practically free advertisement for their product and they still push to delete it just cause they can :facepalm:

Edited by Sirius

Ah, the copyright assholes strike again.

Not too long ago they went on a rampage and deleted thousands of Touhou videos for absolutely no apparent reason as well.

EDIT: wat

Edited by Shade of Shadow

Copyright holders will even request the removal of shit even if the video is popular enough that it ends up being a way for people to discover the existence of a good song/game/etc they'd be willing to pay for. In some cases, I'll bet the video's practically free advertisement for their product and they still push to delete it just cause they can :facepalm:

Oh wow, that's pretty ridiculous.

Man. Now you just made me go through my uploads.

*Deletes the Angelic Layer opening from the DVD I bought and uploaded*

Enjoy your faves while you still can too. Every time I browse the list, there's always at least 5 videos deleted by copyright.

*blinks*

Wow. Sorry about your loss, dearie. :< This whole crackdown thing is pretty ridiculous.

Edited by Sona Buvelle

Proof that current intellectual property laws and the internet do NOT mix. The problem is that when you use music in any Youtube page, you also have the effect of giving people free access to music that would otherwise have to be bought; however, I never got WHY companies/artists get pissed off about it unless the INTENT of the video is to violate copyrights, like when people would pirate movies and post them. Like 99.999% of the time, people don't visit a LP or something like that so they don't have to buy the music that you chose to play -- it's just common sense, which tends to be severely lacking in modern law.

I support the idea of protecting intellectual property -- for example, it gives drug companies some assurance of profit on a newly developed drug so they can justify the costs of R&D -- I simply believe that they are too far-reaching in their scope.

In short, if somebody is essentially giving you free advertisement for your product, don't punish him! Derp.

Edited by Kngt_Of_Titania

Ah, die copyright assholes strike again.

Not too long ago they went on a rampage and deleted thousands of Touhou videos for absolutely no apparent reason as well.

...is that what happened to ChaosAngel's channel? That shit pissed me off.

The worst part was all the stuff was doujin music that most likely had no stipulations associated with it that would make taking it down for "copyright infringement" a legal action.

Edited by Aleph

One more strike and I can kiss my 5 and a half year old channel goodbye. It's stupidly harsh and fucked up. And I won't be surprised if it does happen.

Strikes run out after 6 months, I believe, so it's not an entirely bad idea to private your videos until you're safe again. Alternatively, you could try filing counter notifications - sometimes it works and even dead channels are resurrected after their suspension.

First and foremost though, do NOT use commercial music in your videos. It worked 4 years ago but it's too risky now. Even seemingly underground and "indie" music is claimed pretty aggressively on the site. If you don't keep the original audio or mute the sound, just stick to video game music and unsigned bands.

This is why I think YouTube should simply not enforce copyright, they can't seem to do it without being tyrants about it.

YouTube can't do this on their own; there are laws basically requiring them to do it. It's those laws that need to be taken down.

Strikes run out after 6 months, I believe, so it's not an entirely bad idea to private your videos until you're safe again.

Youtube said it "MAY" be removed after 6 months. Not necessarily gonna happen though, as you can see from his screenshot.

Since you reminded me anyways... that was an anime opening...

*Deletes Seto no Hanayome anime clip*

Not taking a chance on that one.

Edited by shadowofchaos