Books that influenced you the most?

Don Draper

Ridiculous. Book sales have been increasing in recent years, not decreasing. E-books might change that, but there will always be some demand for real books, and reading is never going to disappear.

I'm guessing he means more toward the rampant consumerism and the growing ignorance that people have toward the government these days. Also I know a lot of people who haven't read a non-school book ever.

The Jungle and The Grapes of Wrath were books that influenced me a lot.

Catch-22 and Das Boot. The latter was physically painful to read, and finishing it was the most dismally rewarding thing I've ever done.

Read. Both. All of you. This is an order.

Catch-22 and Das Boot. The latter was physically painful to read, and finishing it was the most dismally rewarding thing I've ever done.

:awesome:Saw the movies when I was a kid.

Don't remember them too well.

Also, I'd say the shitton of old books I've read have influenced me.

Including the old series books and pulp fiction and dime novels.

Yes

Dime Novels.

Come at me Bros.

Also, I remember reading good old series books like

(Ask your resident senior citizens about the following series's

gee_wiz_emoticon.gif

Tom Swift(Early 20th century)

Boy Allies(WW1 era stories)

(Misc other series too numerous to name)

Also, I guess I tried to follow the really old fashioned way of morals when I was a kid, didn't work so well at times though..

Due to some feminist teacher at the private school I went to (for several years) sending me to the front office for stupid shit like pulling out chairs for girls and stuff then.(I was 12, give me a break).

Anyways, I think those books influenced me to act with a sort of habit to call Women "Miss" and "M'am" and all.

And, I got to enjoy reading series after fucking series, god, I've even got some old browned out Spanish-American War era books that are very brittle

and I still enjoy reading them.

The Das Boot book? Ya I do want to read this some time.

If you like sci-fi, you might want to try Glen Cook's A Passage at Arms. Is Das Boot in Space.

I really need to read more non-fiction books relating to my interests. I'm sure those would influence me quite a bit (Hawking, Kaku, Tyson).

It's not really the tale or the argument from a fictional book that influences me, it's the discussion about it. I don't read much fiction, regrettably, but I love the discussions that I have while in class, like with The Great Gatsby, as an example. Discussions bring about ideas that one doesn't usually think of on their own.

oh there's also To Kill a Mockingbird, and I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings during high school for me. Both were pretty amazing.

I just read I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings. The circumstances she went through were pretty horrific. It really strikes home for you what the situation in those times was.

Sadly, it doesn't actually make you like Maya.

I really need to read more non-fiction books relating to my interests. I'm sure those would influence me quite a bit (Hawking, Kaku, Tyson).

It's not really the tale or the argument from a fictional book that influences me, it's the discussion about it. I don't read much fiction, regrettably, but I love the discussions that I have while in class, like with The Great Gatsby, as an example. Discussions bring about ideas that one doesn't usually think of on their own.

Sounds like it's time to arrange skype discussion hour

• 2 weeks later...

There's a number, but two that haven't been mentioned at all here are Welcome to the NHK (the novel, not the shitty, barely similar manga or anime adaptions, read the actual book, which is incredible), and of course Nineteen-Eighty-Four. I also was fairly influenced by The Old Man and the Sea and Lord of the Flies, but that may be because I first read them when I was 11, and then again when I was 16, which gives you a really really good idea of the big points when you change.

I have three books that I can say have definitely influenced me; Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom, 100 Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez, and the His Dark Materials series by Phillip Pullman. So technically that's five.