Diablo 3

Toothache

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't find Fire Chains so bad. In any case, they usually ganged around me which is perfect for Revenge to activate or Cleave to get bonus splash damage. Stunning them with Wrenching Smash for a couple of seconds also helps.

Well, I've started Inferno, and can do pretty good as long as I'm solo, with groups things turn sour with that added damage and HP. Picked up a 1000+ DPS 2-hander off the AH for 20k, and it's satisfying to do this much damage.

My build is a bit cookie-cutter, but it did develop into this on its own, rather than simply copying someone else.

Of course, the best part was killing the Skeleton King with a 5-stack of Nephalem Valor... ...and getting 3 terrible Lv. 55 rares emot-suicide.gif If you're curious, one was a <200 DPS Monk fist with Strength, a ~300 DPS 2-h Barb club with Int, and a shield that didn't do very much.

Well, I've started Inferno, and can do pretty good as long as I'm solo, with groups things turn sour with that added damage and HP. Picked up a 1000+ DPS 2-hander off the AH for 20k, and it's satisfying to do this much damage.

My build is a bit cookie-cutter, but it did develop into this on its own, rather than simply copying someone else.

Most Barbarians I see often have the same four skills : Revenge is just too helpful vs. mobs, Wrath of the Berserker for champions/uniques/elites, War Cry for defense and life/res and Ground Stomp to gather mobs. I see more Frenzy than Cleave however, while the sixth skill is often Ignore Pain but I also saw Leap w/defense or Furious Charge w/life leech.

I put him on hiatus due to lack of funds/good equips (500 DPS weapon ftl, while I spent most of my gold to maximize my stash and Shen along with a level 7 Haedrig) and unwillingness to grind using him. My Act 4 Normal Wizard is overkill with gems obtained from way ahead of his time. I expected Hydra to suck ass for a third game in a row back when I saw its damage and some videos but I was pleasantly surprised by how fast it attacks, plus it's essentially a way to attack enemies before they can strike you.

Edited by Dio

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#alQRSO!Xda!cZYbZY

So, I've been experimenting with a new build. Since I'm not able to tank anything in Act 2, I figure it's better to go for more damage output. Force Armor gives me better survivability, since I'm less dependant on the resist buff of Prismatic Armor (and everything kills you in a few hits anyway, so better to mitigate what you can). Seeker Magic Missiles seems to be a better choice than Electrocute, simply because they both hit harder and don't need to be aimed, as well as being a faster cast on the run. Things are a lot more hairy, but I'm able to make progress now in Act 2. Teleport is great for escaping all sorts of hazards, and if used right I can kite enemies right into the path of the Blizzard/Hydra, as well as allowing for an escape with Illusionist. Having Fracture allows me to get a few parting Magic Missile shots safely.

For those with a high level Wizard, have you tried Mammoth Hydra? Everywhere I see Venom, yet Mammoth deals 4% more damage per second. Is there something that makes Venom simply better?

I'm in early Act 2 Nightmare using this. Venom Hydra works very well with my icy spells, While Sparkflint gives less of a damage boost than Force Weapon, but the damage the Sparkflint does is still fairly decent. Prism is mostly used against champions for survival purposes, but lower Arcane cost is helpful to have around. Explosive Bolts is still fairly useful in case I want to go closer. My Wizard doesn't have any issues surviving with high quality Amethysts in his sockets.

I intend to change a passive for Galvanizing Ward once I get it. Probably Blur.

Edited by Dio

So I've been playing on my brother's account and I'm like level 12. I'm a wizard and I just beat this like, spider thing. I'm kinda bored though, so if anyone wants to play I'd be happy to.

On the subject of Mammoth Hydra, it may appear to do more damage on the surface, but it is less damaging overall. Venom Hydra creates pools of poison in its wake. which last a fair while, which combined with Blizzard adds up to more damage over time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Technically not a necro due to first page, at least I hope it isn't.

1.0.3 came out a while back, and Acts II-IV of Inferno were nerfed, and you can find the highest level items in Act I! If you're not playing this due to ragequitting in Inferno, give it another go!