Rate the Unit, Day 20: The Black Knight

Dat Rules (borrowed/stolen from Integrity)

- Ratings are assumed to be on Hard Mode (JP Maniac). And only hard mode!

- Votes need some explanation regarding their gameplay performance to be counted. If somebody else said what you want to already, quote them explicitly.

+/- ≤1 point extra regarding personality/appearance is encouraged, but no more. If you exercise your bias privileges, please do so explicitly.

- Numerical votes out of 10, or something proportional to it. Make it easy to calculate for my sake.

- Every ranking phase ends when the next RTU thread is posted (at this point, it's hard to tell).

- I will insist you do not use the "Not X" reason on any character, where X is another unit. If you do, your vote will be thrown out.

- "Recruits X" or "takes you to X chapter" or "Gives you Bronze Sword" arguments are explicitly banned. C'mon, people, this shouldn't need to be a rule. That's not gameplay performance.

- Assume that the character in question is being recruited.

- Similar to the "Recruits X" rule, do not use "she brings a Savior to the team" as an argument.

- BEXP is free to be used in any quantity on any character.

- Skills can be reassigned freely.

- No transfers.

- Anyone that has done a RD RTU withholds the privilege to tell you your rating is bogus and demand you revise it if it breaks any of the above. I will not throw out votes anonymously, you will be informed and given a chance to revise.

Anyone else think this really has been abandoned? Anyway.

Epic Black meatshield! ...And an experience hog. Good if you need him. 5/10

Averages:

Fiona: 1.20

Meg: 1.34

Vika: 2.40

Leonardo: 2.53

Tormod: 3.28

Ilyana: 3.75

Tauroneo: 4.50

Maurim: 4.72

Aran: 4.92

Laura: 5.13

Edward: 6.31

Micaiah: 6.50

Zihark: 7.44

Rafiel: 8.45

Jill: 8.46

Volug: 8.87

Sothe: 8.93

Nailah: 9.00

Nolan: 9.06

Edited by Melonhead215

I abandoned RTUs because the process of tallying is annoying for me and because updating became a hazzle since my schedule is super weird. Since its summer, i guess i can start doing them again...so, ill take it from day 21. But for now...nailah. Shes pretty awesome. Her avalability is balls but shes great and clutch in all the maps she is in. And shes available in some of the toughest maps of the game to LTC, like 1-8 1-E and 4-4. I give her an 8/10.

Edited by PKL

is it just me or is nailah already in the ratings list

Yeah, I had a feeling I screwed something up.

Well, that was embarassing.

As for PKL, I must laugh. I'm almost half tempted to actually put that in the average.

Edited by Melonhead215

Loooool. Ummm...i think BK is next. So...BK. Hes clutch in 1-9 because HM micaiah sucks and wont be able to resolve solo 1-9. He's invincible, ORKOs anything but sadly he has poor move. He also arrives a bit late in the hell that is HM 3-6...and then leaves forever. Yeah, terrible availability but clutch in 2 of his 3 maps. 4.5/10

You kind of need the BK if Micaiah's going to survive in 1-9 then he appears in 3-6 and does... something and then he comes back in Part 4 to steal kills and EXP from the Dawn Brigade, and might even stop you from getting some useful items if he kills the boss too soon. 4/10, worst availability ever

Pretty much essential in 1-9, and he's the second best unit in 1-F. 3-6 comes around and although he's definitely solid, he comes close to cleanup time. Then he's done with you.

Three chapters of availability. Essential in one, beyond awesome in another, and just good in the third.

6.5/10

The Black Knight. Is a badass.

Pros:

emot-aaaaa.gif

Omfg BK is playable.

Cannot be killed by any conventional means.

Crazy wtf skills.

Alondite.

Omfg.

Cons:

Capped level.

Lowish movement.

Steals kills in 4-3.

So the mothergrabbing Black Knight. Come on! How many of us actually nearly pissed ourselves when first playing the game and realizing he was on our team! I know i was like "Zomg...no way!" BK is totally fighting for his frands. Hes got gr9mazing everything and he isnt gonna die unless you like, finagle it. I dont even know how he would die while hes on your team. Cuz i mean, hes got Imbue on him in part 1 anyway so like, yeah. He shows up in 3-6 but is probably not doing much instead of scaring the piss out of those laguz since he shows up like, a few turns in. And hes not like, got a lot of move anyway so yeah. He does act as a nice wall in case yer guys take too much of a beating there. But hes gonna be making you waste exp because he gets none and your guys need it more. Same business in 1-E. But he has uses there like clearing the ledges so you can get up them faster. In 1-9, hes probably doing all the dirty work because Micaiah will die otherwise. So hes vital there. When you see him again, hes a green unit and doing his thing. Hes probably gonna be murdering a lot of guys that yer gonna want to kill for the experience if you arent quick to mop them up. But BK cant quite move much in there so yeah, not a big deal.

Overall, hes cool when hes around and acts as wonderful backup if absolutely necessary but he overkills all the things so he feels like a nuke.

4/10. 5/10 bias because mothergrabbing Black Knight!!!

He's needed in 1-9, and great in his other chapters as well. Unfortunately, availability holds him back a lot, especially since he abandons the Dawn Brigade twice.

4/10

Incidentally, the Black Knight isn't as good comparatively in normal mode due to your other units being better. I'd only give him a 3.5/10 in normal mode.

Edited by OrangeCrush

Should his random as an "Other" unit appearance really factor into his rating at all? You cannot control him period at that point. It would be like trying to rate Nailah and Rafeil in Part 3 endgame where they are "Other" units for a whole 2 turns and do nothing.

Not much else to add that has not already been said. I think he is a rather pointless unit except for that one chapter you get him. I'd give him a 3/10. He doesn't affect overall gameplay all that much except for that single chapter you must use him.

Also, totally off topic. Can you give him stat increases and skills that will stay with him when he leaves after part 1?

Edited by Dark Pegasi

Keeps Micky Sue alive in 1-9. Needed in 1-E to ensure the "best" ending (aka Lehran). Steals kills and exp, possibly some good items in 1-9. Low movement. Kills everything. Tanks in 3-6.

Meh. 3.5/10 because 1-9 contributions are great, the rest not so much

He would be like 10/10 if you could take him to endgame. However, despite being wtfhax he supplies a similar role to FE8 Orson and thus he really is an exp stealer for critical chapters for exp starved characters.

Of course, Micaiah would be eating dirt pie if not for him so he gets a 3/10.

He would be like 10/10 if you could take him to endgame. However, despite being wtfhax he supplies a similar role to FE8 Orson and thus he really is an exp stealer for critical chapters for exp starved characters.

Of course, Micaiah would be eating dirt pie if not for him so he gets a 3/10.

You can take him to endgame.

In a sense. :awesome:

Also, totally off topic. Can you give him stat increases and skills that will stay with him when he leaves after part 1?

You know. I'm going to try that. I always wanted a better challenge for Ike. xD

EDIT: Then again.

I'll have to use AR to give myself the stat up items to give to BK. I'll even make a video of it if this works.

-----

Only being availible for 3 chapters because the DB sucks that much. lol

At least he gets a 4/10 from me for being one of the utmost broken characters period. Especially when Eclipse is guaranteed to kill anything that's living. As it ignores defense. =)

Even ghosts might not stand up to that.

Edited by リンダ

Not sure what the most common strat for endgame 1 is, but I think nailah and black knight going up the ledges is the most common choice. BK takes out the ranged units while Nailah goes up to knockout the thieves. I suppose with him being chosen for this task, he can stay behind due to low movement and take care of reinforcements while the rest charge forward.

3.5/10

Thanks for making 1-9 bearable, now go deal with the bottom in 1-e.

3-6 help is nice, but we're usually almost done by the time he comes.

oh, and Urvan critting the BK with Ike in the tower is fun as shit.

he helps a little, and then goes downhill in 1-E due to crappy move

BK, hmm... He's playable onI believe three levels total. He gains no experience, and there's no point training him, but he saves Micaiah on chapter 9, while at the same time she can get all of the experience. He's like another Gotoh for part one, and the first time I played this game, I needed him when he showed up.

I like him, so already +.5 bias, total I'll give him... 5.5/10

Black Knight gets an 8 from me. Yes his availability is ass, but he helps out tremendously on the chapters he appears on. Micaiah is doomed without him on his joining chapter (she is practically one shotted in HM) and he feeds her kills. In 1-E, he's still useful as a tank who draws aggro (especially if you unequip alondite from him) which makes getting experience for your other characters (Micaiah!) oh-so much easier. He's practically irrelevant in 3-6, but he should be praised for how broken of a unit he is.

I am aware that playing with efficiency turns him into a crutch and I can see where the low scores are coming from, but the ability to remove ANY enemy on a whim (as an obstacle or what not) should never be understated.

8/10 +0.5 bias

=

8.5/10

Edited by Starwave

3/10. Needed in 1-9 (and fielding him in 1-E is needed to get Lehran), but not as useful elsewhere. At least he can attack up ledges without caring.

Edited by Golden Cucco