More of a conceptual question than technical...

Blazing Samurai8905

So I find myself at a bit of a crossroads in my hacking journey. My hack's story is based in a new world ( a combination of Genesis age Phantasy Star and Telenet's Warrior of Valis) therefore there is a bit of a backstory that should be explained (especially if people are not familiar with the storylines of those games.)

So my question is this, what is the best way to show and not tell that backstory? I dont want to have paragraphs upon paragraphs of text, but without the back sotry alot of the characters motivations wont make sense. One method I did like was in the hack "Dream of five" where reading Renais's Journal was an option...

what have yall done in response to this issue? or is it best to just explain the history of the land despite the fact it may seem boring?

Is the explanation actually necessary for your hack, or do you think it is? Because overloading the audience with useless information is a quick way to have a bloated and uninteresting show for us.

Each thing shown should be important in its own way, objectively, and contribute to some overall "appearance." Functional. Your project should be positioned so that each element you present is impossibly necessary for reaching that end-goal of your hack, whatever that may be.