Would EX moves work well in Smash Bros?

Gold Vanguard

11 members have voted

1. 1. Would they work well?

• Yes they would work well and I enjoy the thought
    • Maybe
    • No keep that crap out of Smash bros!

You know like in street fighter in where you glow yellow and a stonger version of a attack appears. Example: Mario's Fire ball

Normal: Shoots 1 Fireball

EX: Shoots 2 Fireballs

Also all the characters have a meter bar below theme that charge up when they do damage to there opponents.(4 Bars in all.)They can do two things with the meter bar.

1. Use EX moves(EX uses 1 bar)

2. Use a super attack.

They also have a Revenge Meter which fills up with the more damage you take. And when it fills half way or to the max, you can use a Final Smash.The higher the Revenge Meter is the stronger the Final Smash is. But if you fall off the stage or die it resets.

How does that sound?

Edited by Defender of the light

I've never heard of those things, nor have I ever played a fighting game besides Smash Bros. and a trial thing for some fighting game on the DS, but it was pretty boring. It would be meh, and I probably would want an off-switch for it after a while.

They also have a Revenge Meter which fills up with the more damage you take. And when it fills half way or to the max, you can use a Final Smash.The higher the Revenge Meter is the stronger the Final Smash is. But if you fall off the stage or die it resets.

How does that sound?

Totally doesn't sound like Street Fighter AE.

But anyways, that would involve putting motions as inputs for EX moves, which Smash Bros. hasn't done.

Not to be a killjoy, but I don't think smash much wants for revenge mechanics, as much as the characters want for interesting relationships with the stages. The game isn't necessarily dependent on beating the opponent to death to seal the win, so you already don't have to do as much to hurt the other person to win as you do in street fighter or something- your revenge can simply be a clever gimp.

In SF4, rounds last longer than they did in any previous game, being damage output is lower and dizzies are harder to get (not to mention combos scale noticeably). If somebody got a big life lead early, it would be a lot to ask of the other player to win enough exchanges to come back and win the round, or at least more than in earlier entries. Ultras can serve to turn the round into anyone's game late in the match, but that somebody was "rewarded for getting beat up" can still leave a bad taste in the mouths of a lot of people.

It was harder in Brawl than in Melee and 64 to make a comeback, similarly, but I don't think it'd make revenge mechanics necessary. And if it reset after a life loss, it might just be counter-intuitive; say somebody gets hurt enough to fill the revenge meter, or pretty close, but takes a life off their opponent using normal means anyway. Now they're a life up on the other dude, and sitting on a final smash. Ouch.

As for EX moves, I guess I find it a little harder to imagine what scenarios those would result in. I'm imagining EX Bite, faster startup/maybe absorbing disjointed attacks/extended range or something not that wario's bite needs to be any scarier than it is already. I'm not sure whether I'd rather have more options thanks to EX moves, say get-out-of trouble-better or break-through-more-stuff moves, or just more damage, thinking of the extra options smash characters are supposed to have. I'm not sure which characters would seem to want more shit to be on par with the best characters, and which would probably just want better versions of shit they already have.

Including both mechanisms probably won't work well in addition to having a negative greeting from most of the players - casuals complaining how the game is even more complicated and difficult to get into, competetives complaining on how they don't want a SF clone. That said, an EX move-ish mechanism, carefully implemented, might be a possibility and actually work - a single special bar perhaps won't hurt much, although it might be difficult to 1) make it smooth 2) balance it properly 3) actually have some added game-play.

All in all, I'm slightly against it. I'm quite positive that many players would dislike the idea of adding a strong gameplay element like an EX move mechanism, not to mention it being a pain for the developers. There could be an unique game mechanism that would be pretty sweet to see, but I can't come up with anything I'd really like to see in addition to tweaking the existing mechanisms, enhancing customizibility, and adding more content.

• 6 months later...

Truth, Project M Lucario is a prime example of why this sort of thing doesn't work for smash.

They made his shield smaller to compensate for him being able to cancel moves and use 'super' moves.

This combined with increased lag on the rest of his moves and his even easier to edgeguard recovery

causes him to suffer pretty hard against the stronger characters in the game.

Really, the best you can hope for in smash is increases versatility and options with regard to their specials.

They almost had it with brawl, imagine what the game would have been like if they had actually catered to

the competitive crowd instead of ostracizing them through the development.