Snows sprites

Matt Snow

Well I have one of these on FEshrine so I'll post one here too.

First map ever:

firstmap.png

Second map ever:

secondmap.png

I know it's worse than the first one. quit for a while then I read primefusions tutorial and my maps started coming out like this:

Indoor maps:

firstchapterfes.png

Supposed to be a temple

castlechapterfes.png

First castle map. This is the first version, had a lot of help with this one on FEshrine, and it turned out like this:

castlechapterfes.png

Way better IMO

chapter1newhackscrn.png

If I ever learn how to hack this is the prologue map.

chapter3newhacksavegene.png

Chapter 2

chapter4newhacksavethek.png

Chapter 3

chapter5newhacktakethec.png

Chapter 4 (yes the throne room is the same as the one above, it's supposed to be: Make it to the king then Protect the king.)

chapter6newhacktakethef.png

Chapter 5 (this one has some problems I'll fix them later)

Outside Maps: (there are less of these because I can't make mountains

prologuefes.png

Night map, not much to say

chapter2newhackmakeitto.png

If I ever learn how to hack this is Chapter 1

Edited by Matt Snow

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your tile spam seems to be under control. That being said, your maps often have large empty areas, due to your use of large, uniform rooms and passage ways. I would use more walls to separate your castles into rooms, and once you have, fill said rooms with whatever type of rooms you want them to be. I would also make your castles less boxy (and more random or complex). Your outdoor maps could do with a dotting of forests, houses, forts, etc. as you deem appropriate. Both your indoor and outdoor maps have longer straight lines than can look natural. For example, your rivers are too straight and your walls are too long.

Good luck.

Edited by deranger

I would also make your castles less boxy (and more random or complex).

You do realize that when a structure is built a lot of planning has to be done in order ensure stability, right? There is no randomly throwing down some brick and hoping it holds. And don't give me that silly "Since when did FE make sense?" stuff. That's just a lame cop out.

As for some advice, the biggest thing I'm noticing indoors is the distribution of space. I think that if you shrunk down some of the really large rooms and expanded some of the smaller ones the space would be evened out more. I'm also seeing a lot of clustering of pillars which to me seems a little odd if used excessively.

You do realize that when a structure is built a lot of planning has to be done in order ensure stability, right? There is no randomly throwing down some brick and hoping it holds.

There is, however, expanding existing castles into more rooms. Either way, castles rarely so symmetrical or perfectly square, by virtue of the land they are built on and the imprecision of humans. Many buildings are not obviously sturdy except to the architect, which allows for some artistry in them.

Hey, i know you!

The first outside map (the night one) is my favorite. Everyone has pretty much stated that there are a bunch of empty spaces and a bunch of straight lines. A few small trees here and there around the village in the night map would make it perfect IMO

Fuzz laugh.gif .

Any way, new map!

firstcompeticionmk2scrn.png

Second version of a contest submission, might change it later, not sure though.

Edited by Matt Snow

Hey, this map is a good improvement over the others. I'm likin' it. A few things, though:

445dfa476763419277da035548571c34.png

Yellow - A whoopsie I'm guessing?

Red - Lack of shading. Some of them I'm guessing you just missed. Wall caps that are next to pillar braces should be shaded.

Green - There's actually a special wall tile that goes next to T sections and gets rid of that funny double line. It's usually placed right next to the T section in the tileset.

4e3d086ea7f777b4dc5903a848c9c823.png

There is, however, expanding existing castles into more rooms. Either way, castles rarely so symmetrical or perfectly square, by virtue of the land they are built on and the imprecision of humans. Many buildings are not obviously sturdy except to the architect, which allows for some artistry in them.

I never said anything about symmetry or expansion. I was responding to this statement:

more random

Structures aren't random, they're planned. :x

Hi, well I decided to try splicing so I read the tutorial here and I made this.

mattfeis.png

I like it and I was hoping I could get some advice. Specifically on shading because I have no idea how to do that. Thanks :).

For shading, try to imitate where the lighter parts of the sprite would be according to its light source. If you look at the hair, face, and clothes, you can get an idea of where the light source is coming from--shade away from this. Anticipate where the light wouldn't be as great, and darken it. That's, at least, explains what to do, if you have no idea of it.

Other than that, I think the handle of the sword isn't in the middle of the weapon ._. It kinda looks... over.

The scar looks too perfect to me. If you look at say some of the bandit bosses or Brendan, the scars are a lot less symmetrical. As for the sword, I'd comment, but I don't exactly know enough to give you really good critique on that. The splice overall looks pretty smooth though, I might look a bit closer at where the neck meets the jawline, the shading there seems a bit inconsistent. Also, you have a couple random pieces of the outline shade in the hair near the right eye (our right), then a pixel of straight black on left (ours) side of his hair.

This is gonna sound so dum

Also, you have a couple random pieces of the outline shade in the hair near the right eye (our right)

I have no idea what outline shade is..... sorry. Thanks for the advice on the scar.

I think the handle of the sword isn't in the middle of the weapon ._. It kinda looks... over

First off thanks alot for the advice on shading. And yeah the swords gonna look like that because I made one side of the hilt longer than the other. I'll try to move it so that it looks better but it's supposed to look like that. I was inspired by this:

17071202.jpg

Thanks for the advice. Hopefully I understood it tongue.gif.

I have no idea what outline shade is..... sorry. Thanks for the advice on the scar.

The color used for the outline... I don't know how else to explain it.

1z6w4ex.jpg

The cirlce on the right has a black pixel that shouldn't be there. The one on the left is what they were talking about.

Edited by L95

Thanks GrandScythe2, yeah also think it's way better. I read some of the tutorials they put here before making it.

Recolor the parts you spliced

I'm not sure what you mean by this (blame my spanish speaking country). Do you mean that I should change the color of, like the hair and the jacket?

Edited by Matt Snow

Okay thanks.

EDIT: Changed the colors so it looked more like me (It probably doesn't have 16 colors because of the sword). I wear almost only black which is why I left the coat as is.

mattmesword.png

Edited by Matt Snow

Well I thought I'd post the insertable version here.

mattformated.png

The swords pommel came out kinda crooked, does any have any advice on how to fix that?

Also new mug:

mearcherfeis.png

Me as an archer. I know it has way more than 16 colors but it's not supposed to be insertable.

The archer mug's face needs some fixing. You either need to put a different chin or a different mouth on it, the angles don't match up. Also the nose is disproportional to the rest of the face.