NFL 2012-2013 Season

Anacybele

lol, he must be the worst QB ever.

And Redman has been rather ineffective lately. I wouldn't say garbage though. Dwyer, I haven't seen enough of him to form an accurate opinion.

• Replies 795
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How so? Points are how teams win the game, not yards- the purpose of a defense is to limit the amount of points an opposing offense scores. If you stop a team where it matters most that means you did not allow points (or you allowed a field goal instead of a touchdown). You say 'disruption' trumps points but your entire argument begs the question.

The best defenses are disruptive to the point that the opposing offense can't even make it to your 33 yard line needed to kick a 50 yard field goal. A defense that keeps points down may have a lot of interceptions and fumbles as opponents get nearer to the goal line but it doesn't say anything about their ability to stop entire drives in their tracks. With the stats that I posted, you get a much better idea of how well defenses can actually change the flow of a game.

Creating interceptions and fumbles seem awfully important to be taken out of the equation. I suppose the best predictor would really combine all the statistics- football's a hard game to predict with all the variables involved.

Creating interceptions and fumbles seem awfully important to be taken out of the equation. I suppose the best predictor would really combine all the statistics- football's a hard game to predict with all the variables involved.

An INT or fumble means nothing if you go 1-2-3-Out right afterwards.

Defenses can't rely on picks or fumbles recovered because they are a random occurrence. Good coverage, QB pressure and tackling stick around.

Troy Polamalu would like to have a word with you. He's a guy that MAKES interceptions and fumbles happen. They're not random for him. I remember he forced Joe Flacco to fumble once. He intercepted a Kerry Collins pass in a game against the Titans because he actually jumped up in front of the intended receiver to catch the ball with ONE HAND. He has also dove for balls that were about to hit the ground to create interceptions. If he hadn't acted in these plays, those fumbles and interceptions never would've happened. Troy MADE them happen himself.

I'm not saying interceptions and fumbles are never random. They certainly are sometimes. But there are guys who get these plays because they make them happen themselves too. Like good ol' Troy. He didn't get Defensive Player of the Year and several pro bowls (five in a row too) for nothing, after all.

I never said anything about forcing fumbles, only recovering them which is a crapshoot. And jumping routes and actually getting a pick is random due to a lot of other factors. Polamalu puts himself in good position to create TOs but they're not a consistent thing.

Troy still ends up getting a lot of them. And it's because he's got the skill to do it. Some of his picks and such could've just as easily been completions and incompletions on the part of the opponent team's offense. But instead, Polamalu decides to make plays.

I don't believe that getting picks and recoveries is always random. That's that. xP

Edited by Anacybele

To add on to the "interceptions + fumbles = good defense" debate, take a look at the stats this year. The 49ers and Seahawks, two of the top 5 defenses in the league, are tied at 18th in the NFL in interceptions with 3 each. The Rams and Browns, however, are 2nd and 4th respectively in interceptions (the Rams are a middle of the pack D, and the Browns are arguably the worst team in the league).

Anacybele, though I don't think turnovers are RANDOM, they're certainly not something to bank on because they're not very reliable. To use Polamalu (one of the best safeties in the NFL) as an example, he has played in over 100 NFL games, but he's only had 29 career interceptions. That means he gets an interception in less than 30% of his NFL games, and this percentage is one of the best in the league. As for forcing fumbles, he's only forced 8 in his career, so that's less than 8% of his games. In Fire Emblem, you're not going to rely on less than a 30% chance of hitting the opponent, and definitely not less than an 8%, so that's why you don't want to rely on turnovers like that. Turnovers are awesome, but they're not what makes a defense great. What makes a defense great is putting pressure on the opposing offense and not allowing them to do anything (see the 49ers/Jets game last week for example).

Edited by Helios

Well yeah, of course. I never said teams should RELY on fumbles and interceptions and stuff. I meant that when a defense has players like Polamalu who can make a bunch of plays like that, the skill of their defense goes up. Not by a whole lot, mind you, but it increases the reliability of the defense a little overall.

If you have good defensive players, you're defense becomes better. That's why the Steelers and Ravens are perennial top defenses in the league; they always have big time playmakers on their teams.

Is Ray Lewis gonna retire at the end of the year? I sure hope not, I love that guy.

Yes, exactly. Good defensive players means a good defense. There you go. xP

I don't know much about Ed Reed. But Polamalu is my favorite. He's just too awesome. x3

I have a Polamalu fathead poster on my wall and I made an MLP fanart of a ponified Troy called "Troy Ponymalu" Hee hee.

Edited by Anacybele

I was just in Pittsburgh, used my ravens debit card to pay for some KFC forgetting that there was a steelers hq sign right across the street

To add to this, we rode on a purple bus that said Baltimore in the front

I never feared for my life more than today

Man, I wish I could have a Steeler debit card. xP

But you really shouldn't go around sporting Raven stuff in Pittsburgh, lol. Nor should one sport Steeler stuff in Baltimore.

Hey I was thinking about starting a NBA FB topic. Is anyone interested in doing a SF league?

Feel like this is the wrong place to ask this lol. Ive never done it before but Ill give it a shot

^What he said.

Lions have a bye this week and Tigers don't play tomorrow, so I hope that CBS and Fox have some good games otherwise I gotta wait til Sunday night to get my weekly NFL fix.

If you have good defensive players, you're defense becomes better. That's why the Steelers and Ravens are perennial top defenses in the league; they always have big time playmakers on their teams.

Is Ray Lewis gonna retire at the end of the year? I sure hope not, I love that guy.

I'm not sure the Steelers and Ravens are top defenses anymore honestly. Both teams have allowed a lot of points this year- the Steelers giving up 34 to a not particularly good Oakland team should be alarming in particular.

Edited by -Cynthia-

I'm not sure the Steelers and Ravens are top defenses anymore honestly. Both teams have allowed a lot of points this year- the Steelers giving up 34 to a not particularly good Oakland team should be alarming in particular.

You forget that the Steelers couldn't use Polamalu or Harrison at that time. I'm not saying they drive the defense, but they certainly make a big difference, especially since Carson Palmer knows he can't beat Polamalu.

Edited by Anacybele