(Serenes Forest Mafia) General Discussion

Psych

I'll probably be able to play mafia again once Eclipse's game is over, for a game or two depending on how well I do with my uni stuffs. However, I noticed while reading the latest games that there seems to be a surge of conflict lately where somebody gets heavily frustrated in almost every game and it's not something specifically happening to one or two specific players but appears to be a general thing instead. I talked this out with Kaoz to see if there's anything that could be done to prevent this from happening or at least make it less frequent and I wanted to post in-depth about what I think of frustration in games, but I've gotten mad playing mafia before so I shouldn't really be one to talk.

I still feel like it's something worth talking about to make games more enjoyable for everybody though.

PS: Also I'm working on a setup and I was wondering if rambling a bit about flavor-related stuff for fun in PM's is frowned upon, since I remember most PM's I've seen here being rather serious/straightforward.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll probably be able to play mafia again once Eclipse's game is over, for a game or two depending on how well I do with my uni stuffs. However, I noticed while reading the latest games that there seems to be a surge of conflict lately where somebody gets heavily frustrated in almost every game and it's not something specifically happening to one or two specific players but appears to be a general thing instead. Kaoz rabu rabu <3. I wanted to post in-depth about what I think of frustration in games, but I've gotten mad playing mafia before so I shouldn't really be one to talk.

I still feel like it's something worth talking about to make games more enjoyable for everybody though.

PS: Also I'm working on a setup and I was wondering if rambling a bit about flavor-related stuff for fun in PM's is frowned upon, since I remember most PM's I've seen here being rather serious/straightforward.

i write stupid ass flavor that has nothing to do with anything all the time

just don't be a SCRUB who bans flavor claiming like eclipse and scorri, it's not the host's job to stop players from playing badly

and yeah some players are quick to be provoked which is lame (including myself sometimes SORRY BARD). i think the most important thing to remember is that you're arguing as players in a game and not as people. if you're having a hard time getting somebody to understand your logic then it may be better to step back and talk to other players about it instead of becoming frustrated at them. seriously, backing down and not continuing a heated argument is always the best way to stop rage from spiraling out of control from my experience, and maintaining a positive game state instead of bringing the entire thread down is more important than showing up one player out of 13 or so. town discussion only consists of two people when it's 3p lylo

Edited by Prims

tl;dr: a good guideline for town is "convince willing people you're right, don't waste your time trying to convince unwilling people they're wrong"

if back-and-forth debate in mafia isn't on civil terms then it's absolutely useless at best and outright anti-town at worst

Edited by Prims

i like how you call eclipse and scorri out but don't even call me out when my last game did ban quoting flavor/ability flavor

double standards?????

(this is meant to be a facetious post)

moo

I kind of want to run a "fuck emotional bullshit, mafia is supposed to be fun and not suck" game but I wouldn't know where to begin on it.

mostly vanilla, OC? And make a Skype group for it so we can emulate an IRL game as much as possible?

Edited by Baldrick

If you want it to be the closest to IRL mafia it could be like on-call skype mafia some day of the weekend or something.

Text probably works best so that clattering key sounds don't give away the scumteam when they're talking amongst each other though.

If it's speed we're after, we could possibly have a private game on EM. Unless we wanted to have Really Neato mechanics, but I still think having short phases to keep the game from being too reading heavy is a good idea.

@Vhaltz Push to talk is a thing. Also tbh if it was me I'd probably do stuff in between games so you'd hear me type all the time regardless of alignment.

I like the voice idea solely because it's different to what we do now. Plus it adds the whole tone element to stuff which is cool.

Edited by kirsche

Me too. Always up for a friendlier, shorter, less stressful version of Mafia.

Then again, the few times I played on EM I 1) died N0 2) won because of inactives 3) ...well, I get killed a lot on N0...