[From hack to indie] Path of the Midnight Sun

Alfred Kamon

Based God Alfred, allow me to contribute sprites for your bosses, FREE OF CHARGE.

PS. I'm not god awful at spriting. So, yeah.

But I only have one sprite uploaded atm. The others are all over my desktop, and stuff. I'll PM you things if you'd like, since I don't like sharing my sprites in public.

Oh yes, I can do battle animations too. But I'm nowhere close to the ability level of people like TBA, etc when it comes to it, and my punctuality with finishing them is probably quite appalling, as well (Although I do have some finished examples that I can, once again, share with you, if you'd like).

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally got around to finishing the hack and I just have to say, has a weapon named Solaris 10/10 god tier game ggnore that was probably one of the most enjoyable hacks I've ever played!

I personally thought the writing was really good, and the gameplay was really fun as well! Most of the characters seem usable (to some extent; I'm looking at you, Cristoph >.>) and the game is balanced pretty nicely. Too lazy to post stats tho. :P

Also

[spoiler=:D]

0de0b798ddc9d95bc4cb20385ac4245b.png

hey guys I'm making a cameo appearance in FE: Midnight Sun! :D

Mmmmh... I honestly have used Hellios, the first time that I've played. And I didn't expected the

betrayal of him.

Damn you Alfred. He was at level 20... :sob:

But I've used too other units, yes, yes.

Edited by Domyce432

I simply MUST know where you got those Etrian Odyssey midis from.

It's like my favourite series ever (actually surpassing my like of Fire Emblem. Unfortunately, the fan base is too small :/), so I simply MUST know!

Edit: In other words, I now know of... Uh, that big spoiler thing. I had a hunch, but it didn't stop me because GLORIOUS Oifaye.

I know I picked up a few Etrian Odyssey midis from the new files section on VG Music. Except that part of the site is still down since they moved servers, and my collection is mostly improperly marked. Here's the one I can find, for whatever good it may do you (or anyone else who finds a use for it - Alfred, that includes you too!).

http://www.mediafire.com/download/wy11etjyfzc4zsr/Etrian_Odyssey_3-18.mid

That's "Hoist the Sword with Pride in the Heart", from Etrian Odyssey 3 for the record.

As for where Alfred got his, well, I know he browsed a lot of Japanese sites as well. Perhaps he picked them up from there?

Hmmmm!

Well, I got most of them from here: https://sites.google.com/site/lithisako/Home/midis/vgmusic

Some others from VGmusic (in the "Newly Submitted Files" section)

Strangely enough, I didn't find any EO midis in japanese websites. I mostly browsed those for Bravely Default or Super Robot Taisen midis.

Al-FA-red.

You son of a gun. It WAS a self insert hack all along.

Shhhh Rey, don't tell them my secre---

[light-hearted-troll]And our top story tonight; Alfred is secretly a girl.[/light-hearted-troll]

Oh snap

Yeah I admit it

Puledra is my self insert

Finally got around to finishing the hack and I just have to say, has a weapon named Solaris 10/10 god tier game ggnore that was probably one of the most enjoyable hacks I've ever played!

I personally thought the writing was really good, and the gameplay was really fun as well! Most of the characters seem usable (to some extent; I'm looking at you, Cristoph >.>) and the game is balanced pretty nicely. Too lazy to post stats tho. :P

Also

[spoiler=:D]

0de0b798ddc9d95bc4cb20385ac4245b.png

hey guys I'm making a cameo appearance in FE: Midnight Sun! :D

Ahahah!! I'm glad you liked the game! ^^

10/10 you're the most OP weapon in the patch so far

It sometimes feels like I'm the only one with a decent Cristoph.

Then again, I also use Garion and Schwartz.

#outliers #RNG

I used Garion. He replaced Christoph. I only used Shcwartz to

[spoiler=Ch.6 ]keep Saai from killing Sae'rah. Only he has an aid of 17.

Mmmmh... I honestly have used Hellios, the first time that I've played. And I didn't expected the

betrayal of him.

Damn you Alfred. He was at level 20... :sob:

But I've used too other units, yes, yes.

Go playing "difficult" mode ;):

Edited by General Seth

Completed this hack so far on normal mode. This was my very irst hack I've played I was absolute impressed.

• normal mode was tough, but fair! Only chapter 6 was sort of annoying, because there were too many very tough enemies to fight in the first two turns and the ambush spwaning was a problem. In the entire hack I only had losses in chapter 5x and 6. Actually not too bad for my first attempt.
  • The character presentation is creative. I laughed more in the first two chapters than in all the completed regular FE parts together. Pretty much each character made me smile.
  • Map design and mission types are super creative and unique (Stealth mission FTW!!!)
  • Soundtrack was fantastic
  • good growths for most units
  • all the hints in the conversations were mentioned cleary. So you knew, what you had to do in each chapter.

A great hack so far and I look forward to the proceeding of this :D:

Will play it on hard difficulty now. Be prepared for rage.

Edited by The Taninator

^ Thank you so much, Taninator! :D

I'm glad you're liking the hack. I always see your comments on related YT videos, haha.

Sooo... presenting Dynamic dialogues!

177137f6a1.jpg

ff47072613.jpg

166df1cded.jpg

If Yes > brings you to the little history lesson about the Demon King and the Vassal
If No:

30bd0ed45d.jpg

Regardless of your choice, you get:

01d6ec5bb0.jpg

8382dfbbfb.jpg

8c85e5a6df.jpg

e24ae39c3e.jpg

(if you press Select, you can view it ordered by countries)

dc393a5502.jpg

[00:13:01] Alfred C'mon!: you get new voices in the main story, or by meeting some requirements
[00:13:06] Alfred C'mon!: some of the Info you can get include:
[00:13:15] Alfred C'mon!: > New recipes for forging
[00:13:25] Alfred C'mon!: > Hints about some chapters gameplay
[00:13:37] Alfred C'mon!: > Secret places/stuff to do
[00:13:58] Alfred C'mon!: > Trivia that would be too long/boring to explain via the main dialogues
[00:13:59] Alfred C'mon!: etc.

So you might get new things added to info by experimenting with forging ( adds recipe used ) or maybe information from visiting villages or houses? And while I'm on the topic of forging, can you forge new solarises, oblumbras, judgelights, or warp swords?

Edited by ryan5152001

So you might get new things added to info by experimenting with forging ( adds recipe used ) or maybe information from visiting villages or houses? And while I'm on the topic of forging, can you forge new solarises, oblumbras, judgelights, or warp swords?

Exactly!

Or, some supports may give you extra bits of information too.

And yes, all of those are forgeable/purchasable.

Awesome, you figured out editing the hints menu! (Or was that always pretty easy?)

I hope you post notes on how to do that soon. I could use it, myself.

Hmmm... it was pretty easy! You just have to trigger specific permanent event IDs.

I've compiled an excel file with the original table and the MS table-- those numbers represent the IDs that need to be triggered, obviously. Also make sure to download it because it won't view correctly on the dropbox preview page.

Also note that this is still a WIP, but you get the general idea.

When I originally conceptualized my next hack for FE8, I knew I wanted to implement new mechanics into the game so editing that menu would be really useful. I think Alfred is using it more for world-building and lore, though?

As you can see from my excel file, I'll put a lot of information and trivia, but also gameplay-related hints and recipes, etc.

There's also an unlockable map that you can access only once you've gathered all the entries.

And a secret Shrine you can access by solving a puzzle contained in some of the voices.

Edited by Alfred Kamon

...There's some rather, shall we say interesting information there. Lazulis is looking more and more interesting. Not that we know who drugged the Lazuleans, but...

Also, Fire Emblems?

[spoiler=Not so random musing]

I thought the Magvel Fire Emblem was the Sacred Stone of Grado, which was the first to get shattered. This looks like it might be where we finally properly dismiss parts of FE8 canon from the backstory.

One thing that mildly concerns me though - the spreadsheet shows that some entries will only be available through Supports. Doesn't that run the risk of someone permanently locking themselves out of...

There's also an unlockable map that you can access only once you've gathered all the entries.

And a secret Shrine you can access by solving a puzzle contained in some of the voices.

...if they don't pick the right Support pairings to follow? A lot of players will hit all the villages/houses for completion's sake, so those entries are more likely to be picked up (except by LTC players), but everyone will have different ideas for which relationships they'll want to develop.

So... provide a backup method of unlocking these? Perhaps do the same as vanilla FE8 with Lyon - completing the ruins for the third time fully unlocks the entries. Or (but I think this might be a bit much to program) it unlocks one every time you finish the ruins/tower. But only in the postgame of course!

Having a blast while playing the hack. However on Chapter 6, I've visited the mother's house with Andre. I then go to talk to Sae'rah and my character just says "Whoa" or something like that and then leaves. I've tried with Djambo too, and she just won't join. Any solutions?

From the top of my head, the sequence of events:

1. Have Andre/Djambo visit Sae'rah's mom.

2. Have whoever visited Sae'rah's mom (and ONLY the person who visited Sae'rah's mom) in step 1 talk to Sae'rah.

...There's some rather, shall we say interesting information there. Lazulis is looking more and more interesting. Not that we know who drugged the Lazuleans, but...

Also, Fire Emblems?

[spoiler=Not so random musing]

I thought the Magvel Fire Emblem was the Sacred Stone of Grado, which was the first to get shattered. This looks like it might be where we finally properly dismiss parts of FE8 canon from the backstory.

One thing that mildly concerns me though - the spreadsheet shows that some entries will only be available through Supports. Doesn't that run the risk of someone permanently locking themselves out of...

...if they don't pick the right Support pairings to follow? A lot of players will hit all the villages/houses for completion's sake, so those entries are more likely to be picked up (except by LTC players), but everyone will have different ideas for which relationships they'll want to develop.

So... provide a backup method of unlocking these? Perhaps do the same as vanilla FE8 with Lyon - completing the ruins for the third time fully unlocks the entries. Or (but I think this might be a bit much to program) it unlocks one every time you finish the ruins/tower. But only in the postgame of course!

Ahah nice catch! Yeah, it's plural, "Fire Emblems". And I plan to de-Magvelize this hack asap, now that world map hacking is a thing... that will take at least a week of work, urgh somebody save me

Also yeah, that's a thing too.

I think I'll have an NPC in the postgame who sells the entries that you haven't gathered in the main story or in supports, haha. As I said, it's still a WIP, but thank you for your suggestion Ashley. That's indeed a good point.

Ahah nice catch! Yeah, it's plural, "Fire Emblems". And I plan to de-Magvelize this hack asap, now that world map hacking is a thing... that will take at least a week of work, urgh somebody save me

Also yeah, that's a thing too.

I think I'll have an NPC in the postgame who sells the entries that you haven't gathered in the main story or in supports, haha. As I said, it's still a WIP, but thank you for your suggestion Ashley. That's indeed a good point.

The way you say it makes it sound like there's a guy in an alleyway that sells information. That doesn't sound like it would be reliable information.

Omg

The theme you used for the Vendor.

I know I heard it from some old ass game from my childhood, but I can't remember where it's from and it's making me go insane.

I originally wanted to say Altered Beast on the Genesis but it's not from that.

EDIT: AHA! THE ENDING TO GOLDEN AXE! Took me forever to figure it out. Kinda awesome hearing it in your hack, which I really like by the way. Although I'm getting my ass handed to me. Then again I'm not trying very hard.

Edited by Zepher-Tensho