Army of Custom Characters?

Murdok Dracul

I've been wondering for a while: I've read that it's possible to transfer an Avatar from one save file to another. Is this done in the same fashion as Streetpass? At what stage on each file does this become possible, and what are the costs (i.e. gold)? Would the unit you're transferring have to have reached a certain chapter in its own file first? And would it be possible(/practical) to play through the game using only an army of custom characters (along with Chrom, of course)?

You can recruit My Units/Avatars from Streetpass of the 3DSs that you pass by, whether randomly generated or an actual Awakening team, by fighting them or paying gold. As for other My Units you have in your other file, as soon as the communications menu becomes available on the world map, which is the point when you also start seeing streetpass My Units, you can recruit any of the Streetpass My Units that you turned down if you battled them, and any of the ones in your other files you completed the game with gold.

The amount of gold depends on their stats... and boy an endgame one with max stats will cast a pretty penny.

So you can only recruit one of your own Avatars if that Avatar has completed the game?

Yes. You can't just keep starting new files in other slots and recruit those avatars in another file. They won't appear in the My Unit Emporium to recruit.

That's not quite right. I had a failed attempt at a Lunatic run that ended around Ch5, and I found the MU from that file in the Unit List on other files even after deleting the original file where he appeared.

Edited by Othin

That's not quite right. I had a failed attempt at a Lunatic run that ended around Ch5, and I found the MU from that file in the Unit List on other files even after deleting the original file where he appeared.

Wait, so that means you just have to progress UP to when you are able to receive streetpass data to appear in the emporium?

Wait, so that means you just have to progress UP to when you are able to receive streetpass data to appear in the emporium?

Sounds about right.

It's not automatic, though. Post-Ch3, when you can access the Wireless menu, you can choose to add your file's MU to the list if you haven't already, or to update them if you have.