Marriage equality is coming

Caliban of Sycorax

President Obama was re-elected; he is the first president to come out in support of same-sex marriage.

Maine, Washington, and Maryland have officially joined the list of states that legalized same-sex marriage. They now join a list that includes Massachusetts, Vermont, New Hampshire, New York, Connecticut, Washington DC, Iowa, and California.

Minnesota voters rejected a redefinition of marriage that would only include one man and one woman.

Tammy Baldwin is the first openly gay senator elected to congress.

Many antigay senators and representatives have lost their seats to progay senators and representatives.

Face it, marriage equality is coming.

Maine, Washington, and Maryland have officially joined the list of states that legalized same-sex marriage. They now join a list that includes Massachusetts, Vermont, New Hampshire, New York, Connecticut, Washington DC, Iowa, and California.

to be fair, all of those states bar iowa are highly liberal

it would really mean something if a handful of traditionally conservative states also did the same, but baby steps

Like North Carolina :facepalm:

That said, it's not all that surprising. It's no different that racial or gender equality. It'll come eventually, but no one know how long it will take. I'm glad to see it, but it could take another 200 years, if not much longer, for full equality.

More importantly, weed is legal in Colorado.

I'm not bothered by marriage equality. But I am bothered by people who are opposed to marriage equality.

I think this is becoming the mentality of a lot of people. Unfortunately it took until 1972 for people to stop considering homosexuality a mental disorder. But the marriage equality movement has been gaining more speed since the early 2000's.

Spain also ruled same-sex marriage 100% constitutional recently. So there are more countries that are accepting it.

It is useless to try and halt the winds of change. Civil Rights as a movement is tied with the economic shifts in world history. The US in particular, they picked up in force due to economic prosperity in the US after WWII, and the realization of African American soldiers that our allied countries--England, France--did not treat them as sub-human, and saw them as equal.

Civil rights for homosexual people are going to follow a similar path, but this takes time, it takes a long, long time. Deep held beliefs do not change quickly or at all, new generations are what allow shifts to occur.

The 9th Circuit U.S. Court of Appeals in San Francisco denied a request to re-examine the issue, months after judges gave gay and lesbian couples constitutional blessing to wed in the state. A stay on same-sex marriages in California remains in place until the issue is exhausted in the courts.

I assume a federal circuit court overrides, though the Supreme court is supposed to conference on the issue on Nov 20th. For that reason, I'd say something like "you're both right" - the highest court that's ruled on it says its unconstitutional, but the ruling isn't being enforced.

I had another link that said the supreme court would announce its decision on whether to hear the appeal on the 26th, but I lost the linnk.

Edited by L1049