Fateborn Who Can't Sprite

Fateborn

Adding to what Siuloir said you need to break up that grass tilespam more and that one mountain tile in the bottom-left doesn't fit in.

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. You need to have cliffs beside the waterfall.

2. The cliffs in the bottom right need fixing:

• The very bottom cliff has tiny gaps inbetween each tile, there are tiles with a spot of dark brown in the corner to solve it. (hope that makes sense).
  • The upper cliff needs fixing, as the perspective is wrong. The very left cliff tile should be moved up a tile to correct it.

3. I'd remove the mountain fort tile to the left of the castle, because ti looks unnecessary.

4. I wouldn't cut off part of the village personally, I think it looks a bit tacky.

5. Some of the grass tiles are spammed a bit too much.

6. You are using some of the wrong forest tiles; some just cut off straight into the grass tiles.

7. The forests ened more irregularity, and there should probably be some to the top left of the lake.

8. The paths look unnaturally straight, they should perhaps break off at points and be more irregular.

9. The light patch of grass above the river looks too square imo.

10. The mountains are too straight.

I recommend you read Primefusion's map tutorial

Edited by Haku

Bleed to death from all of the shot taken

Uguuu. I think I need a hospital visit after that post by Haku.

...where the heck is his tutorial. Searching isn't helping.

Edited by Fateborn

Ah I get it.

So my apparent attempt to make river flood cliffside doesn't function if it seems as if it's flowing uphill.

Here's new one.

xUps0wT.png

Really hard to break up paths with limited tiles type (There should be more road tiles >_<)

@#%# forgot to dezoomify

Edit: Better

I still need to fix the lake tiles. Hard to find correct tiles to make them "flow" properly. lol

Edited by Fateborn

If you're going for stagnant water for the lake/pond just use the beach tiles.

551e016f6f299152190012ead1922c87.png

Also, there's plenty of road tiles. Try messing with the ones you haven't used as much.

The moment I saw the name Primefusion when I refreshed, I was afraid as a groundhog on a cloudy day.

Thank god it wasn't a harsh critique.

Thanks for tip!

Here's a WIP

jtE1sQe.png

Now let the speculation begins...

Progress update:

Nugv5kQ.png

Something feels wrong and I can't find it.

Edited by Fateborn

Here's a WIP

jtE1sQe.png

Now let the speculation begins...

Progress update:

Nugv5kQ.png

Something feels wrong and I can't find it.

His face is completely disproportionate and smushed, that's what it is. It looks like he's been run over and flattened.

So the solution would be increasing the collar size and lower it down by 1 or 2 pixels to give the face a breathing room?

Did you mirror the pieces? It looks mirrored....

And no, making a bigger collar will just make his head look really out of proportion with the neck...

The nose is also may too high on the face.

Ah!

Did you mirror the pieces? It looks mirrored....

And no, making a bigger collar will just make his head look really out of proportion with the neck...

Yeah, the collars are mirrored, it's intended because I plans to redo it without actually having to...scratch it.

It's just there for the appearance to keep my sanity balanced.

• 1 month later...

I should be thrown into insanity asylum.

Why?

Because...

I'm trying my hand at full-custom mug.

Taking a bit of inspiration from Redfield's recent work on the custom mug. (The one with outlining thing, it cleared my head up on how to start a custom mug)

Using an image (Jibril for the curious) as base, I outlined the crucial part and painted in single color tone to placehold the specific parts.

WVhZpZP.png

I think I'm off to a good start.

/getthrownintoasylumanyway

It's a good idea to start like this.

But honestly, what I would recommend to any new custom sprite maker, would be to just splice, then custom things over it. Like changing parts of hair, play with eyes...

Basically, you can start with a simple splice and play with it, then the more you improve, the less splice you use to start.

Just by looking at this, i can say it's disproportionate. Head's too big, body too small.

My advice : Take one of your splices. And make him taste custom. You'll improve yourself fast.

I'd rather be dropped off a cliff than take it slow.

Anyway, the progress is rather slow because it's... -blush- ...my first time.

/shot

It's pretty difficult to get a proper shading going with a light source considering how little I knows. Funny huh?

Using the original as frame work and somewhat cloning over the original shape (some couldn't be saved and were deposed of.)

And using what I DO know, I managed what I got to over these couple days.

I also tried to play around with the back hair to make it feels more unique than a slab of pink, and being a failure I am, I 100% failed.

krMmGoT.png

Suggestions if any at all helps.

I'd rather be dropped off a cliff than take it slow.

Anyway, the progress is rather slow because it's... -blush- ...my first time.

/shot

It's pretty difficult to get a proper shading going with a light source considering how little I knows. Funny huh?

Using the original as frame work and somewhat cloning over the original shape (some couldn't be saved and were deposed of.)

And using what I DO know, I managed what I got to over these couple days.

I also tried to play around with the back hair to make it feels more unique than a slab of pink, and being a failure I am, I 100% failed.

krMmGoT.png

Suggestions if any at all helps.

You can't run before you walk. Saying you'd rather be dropped off a cliff than take the time to refine technique won't help you.

Her arm is terrifyingly thin, and the way it bends is almost painful to look at. But that's as much the fault of the reference image